Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

...the hell is going on with JFK Terraces? [age restrictions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...the hell is going on with JFK Terraces? [age restrictions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by the810
BA could have some attendant who would serve alcohol. AFAIK, lounge access for 18 years old people is published benefit so they should create system which allows it.
True, they could. But would it be practical in those countries that have different laws than
in the UK? In my view, probably not. Maybe BA is finally creating consistency

H
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I remember when I was 16 (legal drinking age here is 18), that I hated the policy of not letting underaged people into a bar.

The lounge angel was completely right on denying entry so no point to blame her. In my opinion, it would be daft for BA to man the bar(s) in GF and GC just because very few people cant access the lounges.

I would guess 99% of eligible passengers are either 21+ or travelling with an adult?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by BA304
Good idea. Nice way to salvage the situation.
How would it help? First lounge has unmanned bar as well?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by dera

The lounge angel was completely right on denying entry so no point to blame her. In my opinion, it would be daft for BA to man the bar(s) in GF and GC just because very few people cant access the lounges.
You pay for it - you should get it (e.g. pre-flight dining, drinks, newspapers). In any case - OP could get plastered on the plane.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by erik123
You pay for it - you should get it (e.g. pre-flight dining, drinks, newspapers). In any case - OP could get plastered on the plane.
Ok, what if you're 16?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by andygeog
This is an example of bad service. You've paid for lounge access and should receive it.

I'd definitely complain to BA.
Wrong. It's an example of a carrier obeying the law, something we all expect. Neither you nor I have read the specific t&c of OP's ticket and associated benefits, but I will guarantee you that somewhere they say something close to, "subject to all applicable laws, rules & regulations." In this case, the law prohibits the benefit so it's not applicable. Simple as that. I will also guarantee that there is no place where any carrier obligates itself to hire an extra employee to tend bar.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
So how would this work if you had a 20 year old in J on a sleeper service??

Simply eat the limited onboard offering or go hungry?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by RDinJER
So how would this work if you had a 20 year old in J on a sleeper service??

Simply eat the limited onboard offering or go hungry?
Ah, I see we are playing "excellent point top trumps". Nice work ^
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:29 am

I think that is ridiculous... I got access to the lounges in JER and in LGW yesterday and I am only 16, didn't get asked for ID or anything and I don't exactly look much older than my age!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by dera
Ok, what if you're 16?
My son doesnt have problems getting into the LHR and LGW lounges either.
He doesnt have a problem with getting a can of Heineken on a flight, his grandmother was a little surprised when he ordered up and was served but since he ordered her a Baileys she didnt complain for long
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Originally Posted by henkybaby
So BA should break NY law or totally rethink its lounge concept to suit NY law?
The latter.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:18 am

Isn't this similar to BA not being able to serve alcohol in Saudi airspace. You might feel that as you've paid for a J/F ticket you should be able to get a drink at any point on the flight, however the local law does not allow this.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Isn't this similar to BA not being able to serve alcohol in Saudi airspace. You might feel that as you've paid for a J/F ticket you should be able to get a drink at any point on the flight, however the local law does not allow this.
Not really, free grog isn't a perk of J/F.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey2124
I think that is ridiculous... I got access to the lounges in JER and in LGW yesterday and I am only 16, didn't get asked for ID or anything and I don't exactly look much older than my age!
I am sure that you are right about the ID. However they would have known from your BAEC card & your flight details.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
No at all. Saudi law forbids them to serve alcohol..

There is no US law that forbids Under-21's to enter lounge. They cannot serve them alcohol, but solution would be to change alcohol rules (for example, introducing bar attendant who would check IDs), not prevent them from entering lounge at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.