Wiki Posts
Search

5 hour tarmac delay at LHR - Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
5 hour tarmac delay at LHR - Compensation

Recently spent five hours delayed in the tarmac at Heathrow. I have tried to make sense of EU regulations on tarmac delays and it seems that only full cancellations are covered by the compensation scheme. Can anyone clarify if otherwise?

If I'm elegible for anything, what would that be and what BA office should I contact?

Thanks!

Last edited by BlassSJU; Aug 23, 2011 at 1:20 am Reason: add info
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
EU regs cover a delay in the arrival time so you should simply claim under the EU regs. No doubt BA will claim circumstances beyond their control but at least you will get an official statement as to what these circumstances were exactly. You can take it from there.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With that you can claim under your travel insurance.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
With that you can claim under your travel insurance.
Claim what?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Whatever expenses he incurred as a result of arriving at least five hours delayed (missed limo service picking him up, missed connection to another airline necessitating a hotel stay, missed start of cruise holiday...)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by BlassSJU
Recently spent five hours delayed in the tarmac at Heathrow.
That's an excessively long time to be delayed in the tarmac - were you on an aircraft? If so, was any reason given?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by heartybob
That's an excessively long time to be delayed in the tarmac - were you on an aircraft? If so, was any reason given?
Anyway I didn't think that BAA use tarmac at LHR but rather concrete?!?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by heartybob
If it had been a Ryanair flight it would have been all over the news
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

BA 209 on Aug 5.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...235Z/EGLL/KMIA
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of the delay?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:29 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Could you let us know what the cause of the drlay was?

Also, what loss or extra costs did you suffer because of the delay?

How did BA handle any issues that occured due to the delay?

If you could give us some more detail, then we may be able to advise you on what you may or may not be entitled to.

Without further detail, it is impossible to advise you on what you're entitled to.

bjorns
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Mechanical delay (engine issue I think)-- Captain constantly said they were 'filling up paperwork' every half-hour. They did paid for a Miami hotel, but rebooked me on a flight to my final destination over 12 hours later.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:40 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Mechanical delay (engine issue I think)-- Captain constantly said they were 'filling up paperwork' every half-hour. They did paid for a Miami hotel, but rebooked me on a flight to my final destination over 12 hours later.
Personally, I'd prefer staying five hours on the tarmac, than taking off with a mechanical fault.

I'd say that you're entitled to out of pocket expences, due to the delay and also BA have a 'duty of care' during your delay.

If BA are liable to pay compensation for the delay itself, I doubt.

Even if, which I'm not certain about, EU legislation says differently, I'd guess that any airline would contest any such claim.

bjorns
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 am
Original Poster

When we arrived at MIA cabin crew were handing out preprinted sheets on how to contact BA for compensation. I just wanted to get out of the aircraft so missed them. Anyone has any idea on what that sheet says or what is the typical compensation? Perhaps EC miles?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by bjorns
Personally, I'd prefer staying five hours on the tarmac, than taking off with a mechanical fault.

I'd say that you're entitled to out of pocket expences, due to the delay and also BA have a 'duty of care' during your delay.

If BA are liable to pay compensation for the delay itself, I doubt.

Even if, which I'm not certain about, EU legislation says differently, I'd guess that any airline would contest any such claim.

bjorns
My understanding (which is open for correction ) is that you are entitled to compensation for delayed arrival if the delay exceeds 3 hours. This link gives some details (had to look it up this morning for sister delayed 8 hours with two children in tow....thank goodness I was not with her )

It specifically mentions an EU case that clarified that "mechanical fault" was considered in the control of the airline, so long as the fault arose in normal course of operating an airline.

(which means I guess a bird strike damaging an engine is "normal" but damage from an elephant rampaging across the tarmac is "outside airlines control")

you can make the claim online at ba.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.