Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Connecting at JFK, BA to AA; baggage transfer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:17 am
Original Poster

My sister will be traveling later this year from LHR to JFK on BA, connecting to AA domestic to MIA; all on one PNR.
Obviously she will be arriving at T7 and will need to collect checked luggage and clear Customs at T7. She will then need to use AirTrain to go to T8 for AA.

1) Will BA at LHR check her bags to MIA or only to JFK?

2) If the former, is there a bag-drop after Customs at T7, or will she need to carry her bags to T8 and re-check them herself with AA?

3) If the latter, will she be subject to AA's domestic bag charges (she has no status)?

Thanks for any answers.
Happy Travels.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
The USA is strange in this regard, sometimes they make everyone check their bag to the destination of the tatl because of security and then you get it and recheck it for connection.

She would have to pay $25 as since February 2011, flights ex Europe are not excepted from fees
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Similarly, I'm going YVR-JFK-LHR on CX -> BA, is there a bag drop after customs in T7, or do I need to wait until 3 hrs before the BA flight leaves JFK? I have a 14 hr stopover, I'm leaving the airport, and I don't want to have to carry my bag with me out of the airport or pay for storage.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by NDFan
My sister will be traveling later this year from LHR to JFK on BA, connecting to AA domestic to MIA; all on one PNR.
Obviously she will be arriving at T7 and will need to collect checked luggage and clear Customs at T7. She will then need to use AirTrain to go to T8 for AA.

1) Will BA at LHR check her bags to MIA or only to JFK?

2) If the former, is there a bag-drop after Customs at T7, or will she need to carry her bags to T8 and re-check them herself with AA?

3) If the latter, will she be subject to AA's domestic bag charges (she has no status)?

Thanks for any answers.
Happy Travels.
BA will label the bags to MIA but she will have to pick the bags up at JFK and clear customs, as she leaves the customer hall turn right and the BA transfer bag drop off is at the end of the building.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guessaaa
Similarly, I'm going YVR-JFK-LHR on CX -> BA, is there a bag drop after customs in T7, or do I need to wait until 3 hrs before the BA flight leaves JFK? I have a 14 hr stopover, I'm leaving the airport, and I don't want to have to carry my bag with me out of the airport or pay for storage.
CX can check your bags through to LHR.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
BA will label the bags to MIA but she will have to pick the bags up at JFK and clear customs, as she leaves the customer hall turn right and the BA transfer bag drop off is at the end of the building.
Thanks for your quick reply, but I don't fully understand your response.
Is the BA transfer bag drop off for bags coming from other airlines to BA flights, or coming from BA flights to other airlines, including airlines in other terminals such as AA?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From BA to other airlines.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by guessaaa

Last edited by tdng; Aug 15, 2011 at 1:19 am Reason: Incorrect info
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by tdng
There is US customs pre-clearance in YVR so you should not even have to pick up your bags at JFK provided CX check you through. That is all sorted before you take off. You arrive as a domestic passenger at JFK and, as it sounds like you will be hand luggage only, your time to curb side will be purely down to how fast you can walk there.
I could be wrong but I didn't think CX pre-cleared US Customs at YVR?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
I could be wrong but I didn't think CX pre-cleared US Customs at YVR?
You are correct. Even as a YVR departing pax on this flight all pax clear immigrations and customs at JFK. It was this way when I took the YVR-JFK sector of this CX flight in 2008. Of course it may have changed since.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by Moomba
You are correct. Even as a YVR departing pax on this flight all pax clear immigrations and customs at JFK. It was this way when I took the YVR-JFK sector of this CX flight in 2008. Of course it may have changed since.
You do seem to be correct and apologies for the mis-information. I even thought I had seen the CX aircraft on a pre-clearance stand when I was in YVR a couple of weeks ago but the YVR website suggests it goes from a D gate which I think is a standard gate, not pre-clearance. Original post has been modified to remove the info.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; *G
BA to AA overnight at JFK

I arrive around 5pm into JFK on BA and will have a set of skis with me that I think BA will label on to LAX and SLC for flights the following morning on AA (all on the same PNR). But will there be any problem with them receiving the skis given I don't depart until the following morning? Can they store them for me overnight? I don't want to take skis into the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.