Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PRG Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

PRG Check-In

This is my first post, so please be gentle...

My wife and I decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Prague recently. Our outbound flight seemed to be the 'old style' Cabin Crew, whereas the crew on our inbound seemed to be the new mixed. Will post a report on the differences later... but, for now - I had assumed that check-in for all WT passengers was three hours before the flight. At PRG, I was surprised to learn, at the airport (where we had arrived three hours before our flight home), that check-in would open two hours before the flight.

I used my phone to check the BA site to confirm when check-in opened, and was surprised to read that the check-in time varies for each airport, and that I should log in to 'Manage my Booking' to check what time check-in for my departure airport opens. Is this a change in policy, or was it always this way and I'd simply misread something?

Incidentally, the reason for me checking in so early was so that we could enjoy the very nice Crystal Lounge with my newly acquired Priority Pass.....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Two hours sounds about right to me for a short haul flight.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi and welcome.

Check in times do vary and MMB does typically have accurate information in this regard. I seem to remember that OLCI also shows the time that the (fast) bag drop opens where available.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Isn't check in times usually something along the lines of 2hrs for short haul & 3hrs for long haul.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you just have hand luggage then you could have done OLCI and gone to the lounge earlier.
I havent used non-schengen crystal lounge, maybe it is much better than the other 3 lounges I have used at PRG, but even still I would expect 2 hours to be more than enough!
Please do report more on the contents of the lounge though!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well to be fair, one can get through PRG in just a few minutes, so by having unnecessarily long check-in period it is just adding unnecessary staff costs (paid for by all passengers) without adding any real benefit in terms of scheduling the plane in a timely way. Three hours is charter / long haul / big airport category.

Even at big airports, when the chips are down, they don't really appreciate you arriving too early. Remember the Heathrow overflow tent....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Mmmm Prague got me thinking, something ive always been meaning to ask and now this is a little O/T but....................

Security at the gate vs a dedicated security area, which is more effcient ?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yep, in June we arrived 12:00pm for a 3:15pm flight expecting to be able to check-in at 12:15pm.

However, the BA service desk had a notice indicating Check-in would open 1:15pm.

We went to the centre of the terminal and had a light lunch.

In the end check-in opened around 1pm - FWIW, they were training some staff, maybe that's why they opened early.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 14, 2011 at 9:20 pm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by lancefan
Mmmm Prague got me thinking, something ive always been meaning to ask and now this is a little O/T but....................

Security at the gate means more x-ray scanners so more cost to the airport. Generally means more staff as well, although they can move around somewhat when the gate is closed.
From a passenger point of view, I find security at the gate means less queuing, but it is a pain for liquids bought in departures
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by BAAMEXPP
Our outbound flight seemed to be the 'old style' Cabin Crew, whereas the crew on our inbound seemed to be the new mixed. .
The easy way to tell is if the CC ladies greeting you as you board are wearing hats. If yes then MF.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by lancefan
Depends on whether you care more about connecting passengers or those starting at the airport. Also depends on the security model used and staff costs, and to a certain extent the space available.

Generally, security at gate is better if the airport has lots of flight connections and requires passengers to be recleared - passengers with tight connections are more likely to make their onward flight as their security queue diminishes to zero as their flight is closing.

However, it is a less pleasant experience for most passengers as it inevitably involves waiting in a small sub-lounge for the majority, and it may require more security staff and scheduling/dispatch effort so it's more faff for the airport (as well as losing them shopping revenue!).

Having a sterile area has security risks and advantages. It makes collusional attacks easier (several people on different flights carry seemingly innocuous items which can be combined to make something naughty); equivalently, it creates an area where monitoring behaviour is easier, and one checkpoint allows quicker response to fast-changing events.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Indeed, on most airports (or at least at those where there are only few BA flights), BA check-in opens 2 hours prior to departure. I hate that too
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:04 am
Original Poster

thank you....

Thank you all for your replies...

I do find it annoying that they open only 2hrs early, especially since I had timed my leave from my hotel accordingly. However, I suppose I should have checked the MMB more carefully, and will do from now on...

In response to the question about the contents of the lounge - only one type of not very nice Cabernet, good selection of spirits, hot drinks and two types of Beer (can't remember the names). No fizzy pop (at all!) but there was juice. Snacks such as peanuts and other salty equivalents, as well as open sandwiches and small plastic pots of pasta salad and similar alternatives. Overall, a fair selection. Ever so slightly under par when compared with the BA lounge at AMS in my opinion, but not bad - would happily visit again.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond

In response to the question about the contents of the lounge - only one type of not very nice Cabernet, good selection of spirits, hot drinks and two types of Beer (can't remember the names). No fizzy pop (at all!) but there was juice. Snacks such as peanuts and other salty equivalents, as well as open sandwiches and small plastic pots of pasta salad and similar alternatives. Overall, a fair selection. Ever so slightly under par when compared with the BA lounge at AMS in my opinion, but not bad - would happily visit again.
Sounds like a step up from the Menzies lounge BA use in Prague, it's shared with many other departures and is normally very busy for the afternoon BA flight, a couple of times we've not even been able to find a seat and left!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:05 am

I do find it annoying that they open only 2hrs early, especially since I had timed my leave from my hotel accordingly. However, I suppose I should have checked the MMB more carefully, and will do from now on...

By 'open sandwiches', do you mean a slice of bread, typically with some salami, egg and cheese. Typical czech, I'm not a fan.
Did you try the pots of pasta salad? Again sounds like it could be another gross czech offering...
Strange there was no pop, not even a soda stream?? I can't really imagine that as every other lounge in the airport has one.
It doesn't really sound like much of a step up on the Menzies lounge, although I expect it is bigger.

BTW, I tried the new wifi at the menzies lounge on Thursday, big improvement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.