Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Totally OT - A Few Weeks in the life of......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Totally OT - A Few Weeks in the life of......

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Smile Totally OT - A Few Weeks in the life of......

.... so having been a member of FT for a while, something that I've often seen come up from time to time is the "what do you guys do...." or "what's it like to travel so much" type threads. So I thought I'd create a thread for a few weeks in the life of..... me. I'm a 33yr old male, work for a Global IT company (but I'm really not a geek) but do spend far too much of my time with the lovely crews of BA for company. So this isn't really intended to be a trip report.... and at worst will provide somewhere for me to keep myself entertained in some lounges for a change. At best might provide something for someone to read and be mildly entertained.

.... and if (as is all the rage) anyone is wondering what I look like, this can of course be found in the 'what do you look like thread' or by clicking here

Moi

Anyway....

08/08/11 - Monday morning was an early start to get down to Heathrow for a flight to Madrid, running a workshop about how our business is operating there - a discovery workshop if you like for the seniors back home. Schoolboy error by me, turning up at T5 and merrily presenting my boarding pass, only to then have to do the walk of shame back to the Heathrow Express as of course Madrid flights go from T3 not T5. Luckily had plenty of time and was further aided by heavy showers and ATC delays after the 'computer said no'. Boarded the BA0464 to Madrid (complete with the chattiest captain in the world who had plenty to say on the performance of ATC that morning).... and arrived into Madrid about 30 mins late.

Taxi to hotel (Intercontinental), beautiful upgrade to a club room/suite. Gym session, food and a movie in the room and then bed.

09/08/11 - Tuesday - Meeting was very productive, lots of happy faces from the local people (BA is right you know, sometimes you need to do these things face to face), and am now sitting in the Iberia lounge at Madrid airport waiting for my flight back to LCY.... had to change my flight from LHR as have a date tonight in Docklands (no you're not getting updates on that !).

Did you know there is no free WiFi provided at Madrid airport ? nor did I, you have to pay or use a wired connection in the lounge... all very odd.

Anyway, currently sitting working out what I need to do for the next 10 days of my life which takes me to Mumbai, flying out tomorrow night on the BA0199 - would say I'd guest anyone into the FLounge who wants it, but already having to guest my Blue colleague in..... lots more travel to come between now and the end of September (all BA of course), EZE, LAS, SFO, MXP, BOM, AMS, CDG, BOG - it's going to be an interesting few weeks. Hope you enjoy coming along for the ride, and don't consider the thread too indulgent - just seemed a bit of fun !

Off to browse duty free - although as ever, not really expecting to find anything worth buying !
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TeamStorm
.... so having been a member of FT for a while, something that I've often seen come up from time to time is the "what do you guys do...." or "what's it like to travel so much" type threads. So I thought I'd create a thread for a few weeks in the life of..... me. I'm a 33yr old male, work for a Global IT company (but I'm really not a geek) but do spend far too much of my time with the lovely crews of BA for company. So this isn't really intended to be a trip report.... and at worst will provide somewhere for me to keep myself entertained in some lounges for a change. At best might provide something for someone to read and be mildly entertained.

.... and if (as is all the rage) anyone is wondering what I look like, this can of course be found in the 'what do you look like thread' or by clicking here

Moi

Anyway....

08/08/11 - Monday morning was an early start to get down to Heathrow for a flight to Madrid, running a workshop about how our business is operating there - a discovery workshop if you like for the seniors back home. Schoolboy error by me, turning up at T5 and merrily presenting my boarding pass, only to then have to do the walk of shame back to the Heathrow Express as of course Madrid flights go from T3 not T5. Luckily had plenty of time and was further aided by heavy showers and ATC delays after the 'computer said no'. Boarded the BA0464 to Madrid (complete with the chattiest captain in the world who had plenty to say on the performance of ATC that morning).... and arrived into Madrid about 30 mins late.

Taxi to hotel (Intercontinental), beautiful upgrade to a club room/suite. Gym session, food and a movie in the room and then bed.

09/08/11 - Tuesday - Meeting was very productive, lots of happy faces from the local people (BA is right you know, sometimes you need to do these things face to face), and am now sitting in the Iberia lounge at Madrid airport waiting for my flight back to LCY.... had to change my flight from LHR as have a date tonight in Docklands (no you're not getting updates on that !).

Did you know there is no free WiFi provided at Madrid airport ? nor did I, you have to pay or use a wired connection in the lounge... all very odd.

Anyway, currently sitting working out what I need to do for the next 10 days of my life which takes me to Mumbai, flying out tomorrow night on the BA0199 - would say I'd guest anyone into the FLounge who wants it, but already having to guest my Blue colleague in..... lots more travel to come between now and the end of September (all BA of course), EZE, LAS, SFO, MXP, BOM, AMS, CDG, BOG - it's going to be an interesting few weeks. Hope you enjoy coming along for the ride, and don't consider the thread too indulgent - just seemed a bit of fun !

Off to browse duty free - although as ever, not really expecting to find anything worth buying !
Liking this new style of report.^ I have never flown from MAD to LCY before what type of aircraft is this on? Also, if it is operated by Citiflyer is there a Club Europe?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Speedmarque
Liking this new style of report.^
Indeed.

It'll be interesting to read reports from a regular BA flyer.....keep them coming, warts and all. ^
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was a fun and enjoyable read. Please keep it coming.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:43 am

nice style...I await updates with interest
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:33 am

Very interesting post! a 29 yo consultant, i love everything about flying and travelling in general. I see a fair amount of domestic travel in my line of work, as well as some (leisure) international trips too. I wonder what it would be like to always be on the move though. I love reading up accounts of folks who live this way, and have realized that there are things I'd love and things I'd hate about always being on the go...

You seem to be doing good so far best wishes for the remainder of your travels and keep us posted!

oh, and welcome to mumbai! I've recently moved to this city myself and can't wait to hear what you've got to say about it
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat

I'm in the wrong job - no luxury of a day travelling then straight to the hotel when going to Madrid - for a Tuesday am meeting it is either a day in the office in London then a late flight to Madrid getting to the hotel after midnight or an early start to get a 7am flight to get to the office in Madrid by 12 and get 7 hours in there!

The Intercon is a nice hotel but I find it a little distant from the centre - there is a great restaurant nearby called Laray (sp?) if you are staying there though (turn right out of the front door then cross over at the next big junction of Castellana and head up the small hill, as the road bends round to the right it is just there on the left).

keep it up though - good idea!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA gold
Slightly similar: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...traveller.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Speedmarque
I have never flown from MAD to LCY before what type of aircraft is this on? Also, if it is operated by Citiflyer is there a Club Europe?
Yes, the route is operated by BA Cityflyer... On Either Embraer E170 or 190 jets. They do offer a Club Europe service, however the seating is the same as Traveler.

My friend needed to do a TP run to complete Silver for another year, managed to get him a day return, LCY-MAD-LCY for £176 in CE... He plans to just pop down to MAD, spend an hour or two in the lounge, then pop back again... No wonder our friends don't quite understand the whole thing!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Yes, the route is operated by BA Cityflyer... On Either Embraer E170 or 190 jets. They do offer a Club Europe service, however the seating is the same as Traveler.

My friend needed to do a TP run to complete Silver for another year, managed to get him a day return, LCY-MAD-LCY for £176 in CE... He plans to just pop down to MAD, spend an hour or two in the lounge, then pop back again... No wonder our friends don't quite understand the whole thing!
Totally agree with you there BBB, that to me sounds like a great Saturday. My friends think I am mildly insane and I must give that off as I am single! haha!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

So... latest update. Flight from MAD to LCY was uneventful, yes it's an E170 that flies and there is a CE product on board, but the seating is the same and all I had time to do was prep for trip to Mumbai so didn't really care where I sat. As it was when I boarded there were all of 15 people on the flight, so seat assignment had kinda gone out the window and anarchy was in place with people just sitting where they liked (behind the blue curtain!).

Crew were good, although (sitting right at the back of the plane) I did notice one of them stuffing all of the un-eaten cereal bars into her bag which I thought was a big inappropriate in front of travellers (well, inappropriate full stop, but even more so in front of the passengers) - but had no complaints at how they looked after us on the flight.

Landed into LCY - sadly had a great view of a number of plumes of smoke from the riots across London, which had all been reported in Madrid as 'London Ablaze' or other sensationalist reporting. Relaxing evening in Docklands - overlooking the 'Canning Town Riots' of course last night, a perk that I didn't expect from my hotel, nor were the 3 police helicopters and sky news helicopter that seemed to have endless reserves of fuel to just sit and hover for hours on end.

Anyway... oh... date went well too ) !

So... dash home for me (Suffolk) to do a quick pit-stop and repack ready to head off to LHR for the BA0199 to BOM for 10 days with a colleague. Drive to airport, park at Valet (love parking my little blue Ford Fiesta with valet, cracks me up to see it parked next to the Astons when I return) and then off to the FLounge for a massage if I can get one and some much needed downtime before the flight. Thinking the plan tonight is to dine in the FLounge and just sleep on board - well, unless I come across someone to distract me that is

HIDDY - Glad you liket he idea, not sure it counts as a trip report, but it seemed different, as it's all BA I'm hoping the MOD's don't sweep it away until it's complete.

Zenith - Am both excited and slightly nervous about Mumbai so we'll see how it goes.

BBB - Day trip to MAD sounds perfectly reasonable, I believe you're Eurofleet so sadly won't be catching your service today, but maybe we'll cross paths on one of the EU sectors in the next few weeks.

Must go..... off to brave the M25 en-route to LHR.

Ed
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well done on a good date.

I hope that the M25 wasnt so bad.

Have a good trip.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Currently sitting in the B-gate lounge waiting for boarding. Despite turning up at 6pm for a 10pm flight, there were still no slots in the spa for a treatment (at some point BA is going to have to accept that they are woefully under-resourced in that place) - there were plenty of people there who clearly expected to be able to book a treatment and were very upset at being told the was 'full'. There was clear belief that it was an entitlement.

Much shopping later, and just about ready to go - Clarins stuff, 2 x Bombay Sapphire.... interesting chat with the CCR 'guards' who seemed to think I should steal the flowers (no idea what they had been smoking), and now just waiting to jump on board.

Fingers crossed a nice dull flight with plenty of sleep ! No work to do en-route which makes a change

Ed
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:53 pm

Despite turning up at 6pm for a 10pm flight, there were still no slots in the spa for a treatment (at some point BA is going to have to accept that they are woefully under-resourced in that place) - there were plenty of people there who clearly expected to be able to book a treatment and were very upset at being told the was 'full'. There was clear belief that it was an entitlement.
It was busy when we last passed through LHR, though with hoooours to wait, I was able to get a slot in the main lounge. The CCR advised one lady to go back to Elemis and ask them to call through to the B-gates lounge...result an appointment 2 hours later (still 2 hours, but at least she got her wished-for treatment)

ready to head off to LHR for the BA0199 to BOM for 10 days with a colleague. Drive to airport, park at Valet (love parking my little blue Ford Fiesta with valet, cracks me up to see it parked next to the Astons when I return)
Used to park my bright red Ford Ka in there, amused me too ...while being the titchiest car in the car-park, it was easy to find...no one seems to buy red cars and park them in Valet
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
2 x Bombay Sapphire
It is cracking deal at the moment on Bombay if you're flying outside the EU - 2 x 1 litre bottles for £22.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.