Wiki Posts
Search

July 2012 award help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
July 2012 award help

I'm trying to book a pair of F award seats from the west coast to Italy - I've been looking for a few days.
I'm looking at early July out and mid-July back.
Most of the return seast LHR-LAX/SAN/LAS/PHX seem to be snapped up within a couple of days - for example 7/17/12 and 7/18/12 are available right now, but very slim pickings earlier in the month; the seats for the 18th got loaded a few hours ago, so I assume that is the 330 day (or whatever) window.
The problem is that the intra-EU flights seem to be loading about a week behind the TATL seats.

I have considered booking with a stopover in LON on the way back, and then changing the res to eliminate the stopover when the Italy-LON award seats are loaded. However, I don't want to pay the confiscatory UK taxes on the return TATL leg that are inherent in a stopover.

So, a couple of questions:
1 - Is my supposition correct wrt the intra-EU award seats loading about a week after the TATL award seats
2 - If I do book the stopover and then later change to eliminate the stopover, will I be refunded the !@#$% UK taxes automatically and in full ?

Really appreciate any advice anybody can give
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Don't forget that there is a small event called the Olympics in London next July/August and award seats are very scarce.

I had a look at JNB<>LHR next July and there was absolutely zilch available in F and CW.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
If you can find the long-haul you want, grab it and buy the short haul separately.

The IOC have been given all the redemption seats for next july/august

Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Dammed Olympics.

I would book the LH now and worry about the SH later. Alternatively, if you can get it all at once, take it. If you eliminate the SH later, you will get back taxes in full (but not straight away, it takes a few days).

I don't know if SH availability is loaded a week later than LH.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by dnajockey
If you can find the long-haul you want, grab it and buy the short haul separately.

The IOC have been given all the redemption seats for next july/august

I'm not willing to pay the UK tax, so booking LH separately from SH doesn't work. My understanding is that I'll get hit with full tax on the TATL portion unless my connection in LON is <24 hrs.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The festival of running about, jumping and throwing things is happening that month in London. Hotel redemptions are thin on the ground too.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by dgwright99
My understanding is that I'll get hit with full tax on the TATL portion unless my connection in LON is <24 hrs.
Yup.

Iberia?

Connect in MAD to your Italian destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.