Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer heavy/large object on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Transfer heavy/large object on BA

I have found a fossil (not Hiddy) which I plan on buying from the US.

The size of the piece is 20" by 24" and 2" thick - and weighs 27 lbs.

To transport it safely - it would be put into a crate which is sized 31" by 27" by 5" and weighs in total 65 lbs.

I have looked at Fed Ex and they want over £250 to deliver it from the US to the UK.

To deliver to Phoenix in the USA - it would be under $100.

I mention Phoenix - as I will be there in August - and am thinking I could get it delivered to my hotel and take it home as baggage.

I will be flying J - so will be allowed up to 70 lbs.

Might sound silly - buy will they let you take a crate as baggage? It is just under 3 ft in size - would that be an issue? Do you think it would get treated any better on a plane than it would on say Fed Ex - i.e. would it get smashed.

The other potential option - is to put it in a suitcase and surround with bubble wrap - might get some funny looks when it gets the security check however.

I don't need it in a hurry - but all the delivery companies proudly tell you they will have it with your in 7 days - i don't care if it take 7 months. If taking with me on the plane is not an option - anyone know of any company which ships that sort of thing from the US cheaply?

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:01 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
The fact that your new mail order bride is older than you, doesn't justify you refering to her as an 'old fossil'.

That she is petrified of flying is no excuse for trying to check her in as luggage, excess or not.

Be generous, buy her an economy ticket and as you'll be flying in Club, nobody will associate her with you.

Ho hum, time to crawl back in to my hole. me thinks.

bjorns
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:08 am

Damn - bjorns beat me to it with a flippant remark!

The answer is yes, you may take it as accompanied luggage, and as it is below 32kgs (even when in the crate), it falls within the Club World baggage allowance, and the size is fine too. The fossil should be treated as an "Out of Gauge" item and, if it is marked in several clearly visible places as fragile, should be treated with respect.

I would, however, take precautions to protect the surfaces with copious quantities of bubble-wrap as if the loaders think it is merely a "lump of rock", they may place it in a position where suitcases etc may put pressure on it. If the aeroplane encounters turbulence, cases and boxes may become dislodged and fall on it.

Out of curiosity, what creature does the fossil contain?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the laughs and advice ;-)

it is a fish - Priscacara serrata

Building a new room onto my house - and looking for a centre piece for my main wall - a 24" fossil.

It has lasted 50 million years - hope BA baggage handlers last a few more...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:42 am
Original Poster

One last question - the piece is about 500 pounds of value - how do they work that out when I get charged import VAT - how do they price it? Is it just on what you paid for it?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Years ago I got off a flight with Easyjet (yeah I know... was poor back then), and one of our students had picked up the skull and antlers (attached) of a deer and packet it up and checked it in. The laughter and looks as this 'box with antlers' went round the carousel at LTN was priceless....
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:05 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by blawson
One last question - the piece is about 500 pounds of value - how do they work that out when I get charged import VAT - how do they price it? Is it just on what you paid for it?
I made a quick search and found the following:
'Goods valued up to £390 can be brought into the country without any duty payable on the purchases from January 1st 2010, including souvenirs, clothing, electrical goods and perfume.'

If so, I guess they'll charge you VAT on £110, if they can be bothered.

It is so long since I brought 'goods to declare' back to the UK, I don't recall how it was handled, though I do remember asking UK customs if I needed to declare something, which I knew I did, but just got waved through.

bjorns
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by VolcanoMan
Years ago I got off a flight with Easyjet (yeah I know... was poor back then), and one of our students had picked up the skull and antlers (attached) of a deer and packet it up and checked it in. The laughter and looks as this 'box with antlers' went round the carousel at LTN was priceless....
...................now, now, Volcano Man - I do believe you're advertising!

"Antler is a proud British company with a reputation built on over 90 years of luggage making experience, leading the way in quality, innovation and design."

http://www.antler.co.uk/
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I've brought back a weber barbeque before now still in its box without even a second glance at check in, a quilt from new england wrapped in several layers of think polythene and a stack of packs of jam jars. All without a hitch.

As long as it is adequately wrapped, isn't banned, can take a label and conforms to permitted weight and dimension limits I have never had a problem to date.

As you're carrying a fossil, make sure you have some paperwork/receipts etc to hand - you don't want them thinking you're taking something of antiquity out of the country or a moon rock !
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:43 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bjorns
I made a quick search and found the following:
'Goods valued up to £390 can be brought into the country without any duty payable on the purchases from January 1st 2010, including souvenirs, clothing, electrical goods and perfume.'

If so, I guess they'll charge you VAT on £110, if they can be bothered.
Unfortunately this is not the case. Once you go above £390 they will charge VAT on the full value of the item, not the difference. Based on my experience they will simply work this out based on the pre-tax value paid the item, as shown on your receipt.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Now come on....! There are several geologists on this forum, so you cannot just say you have a fossil in your baggage..... WHAT IS IT!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Two fish - about 5-6 inches long of the type below.

A very common fossil from Green River - but i am looking to put on my wall in my new dining room as a focal point. Nothing too exciting - but anything not common at the size I want is big money.

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_G...ra-serrata.htm

Last edited by blawson; Jul 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm Reason: corrected size
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:25 pm

.........can't you say it's a $75 value Fossil watch?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: ABBA
I took a 24"x42"x9" box to JNB last weekend, 31kg (69lb), no problems -- didn't even have to take it to oversized baggage (had to collect it from oversized baggage). Waved through green channel in South Africa.

Brought the same sized box back from IAD last month, same weight. Again, no problems. Landed at T5, with a carnet ("Passport" for equipment) on a Tuesday morning. Went to the first Red channel, noone there, sign says go to the other channel.

Went to that channel, sign saying "phone for a customs agent", who (20 minutes later) came out and stamped my form. Noone else came through the red channel in that entire time.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gms
Unfortunately this is not the case. Once you go above £390 they will charge VAT on the full value of the item, not the difference. Based on my experience they will simply work this out based on the pre-tax value paid the item, as shown on your receipt.
And they are very wise to the two receipts trick, where you are given one receipt for the actual value of the goods (for insurance purposes etc.) and one just below the duty threshold (for tax purposes). Best to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.