Search

Slightly OT, India arrivals/departures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Slightly OT, India arrivals/departures

Morning all
Looking at MFU to CW an open jaw into DEL out of BOM.
Stuck between arriving at 01:25 or 05:00 into DEL. Is it easy enough to get a cab at 01:25 and check into hotel (for some more kip before heading out) or is there an arrivals lounge there worth visiting?
For the departure, it's either 02:30 or 13:20. Is the lounge at Bombay/Mumbai worth an extended stay?
If this needs to be moved elsewhere that's fine
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:35 am

easy enough to get a cab and head to a hotel. The absolute easiest option is to have the hotel send their car to pick you up. Most hotels catering to westerners expect to do this, and on an international arrival there will be a hotel-transport-manager gaggle close to the exit, from the different large hotels. tell them which hotel and the appropriate man will summon your driver for you from the driver crowd (just in case you can't read your own name on the sign-board after your flight )
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Perfect, thanks for that. Reckon I will go with the early arrival and have more time in the mad house! First time in India, looking forward to it.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by johnnie69
Morning all
For the departure, it's either 02:30 or 13:20. Is the lounge at Bombay/Mumbai worth an extended stay?
If this needs to be moved elsewhere that's fine
Thanks in advance
BOM lounge much better than it was, but still not worth spending any serious time there.

My advice is to go for the 0230 departure - stay in one of the niceish hotels near the airport, go to the gym, have a sauna and a swim in the evening. Have dinner around 2130, move to the bar for some ales, then around 0030 head out to the airport and by the time you're on board you're ready to have seven hours of beautiful uninterrupted sleep
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

01:25 arrival at DEL is far preferable.

02:30 from BOM means an overnight flight arriving in London fit for a days work. Have a late dinner at a hotel near the airport then get to the airport around 1am.

The day flight back is exceptionally dull and boring.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: BA, UA
As above, although as I've only ever travelled to India for leisure, I have a tendency to take the later flight back to LHR, just 'cos I prefer it and half the time on an overnight totally fail to get any sleep!

In that regard, I've actually found the 9W flight back from DEL (I know you're coming back from BOM, but anyway.....!) far preferable.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GfL
Be aware that the nutty flight times mean that your hotel will be extracting one or two extra paid nights from you, an aggravating constant of traveling to India. If you arrive DEL at 01:25 or 05:00, you'll have to book your hotel starting the night before if you want to check in as soon as you arrive. Similarly, upon your 02:30 departure, you'll have to pay for an extra night at the end if you want to do the "stay at your hotel and go for a late dinner" thing. It is always infuriating to pay for a full day and use 6 hours of it, but I do it anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, that's settled then, early arrival and early departure.
Henners, I'll be sure to take your advice for some ales before boarding, it will certainly help with the sleep
Travelmad478, seems fair enough I suppose but would be worth it I think, arrive middle of the night then have a few hours sleep before stepping out into the unknown
Any hotel recommendations?
Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Similarly, upon your 02:30 departure, you'll have to pay for an extra night at the end if you want to do the "stay at your hotel and go for a late dinner" thing. It is always infuriating to pay for a full day and use 6 hours of it, but I do it anyway.
Rubbish! Never had a problem storing luggage and using spa/gym on evening of flight after checking out.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by johnnie69
Any hotel recommendations?
I always stay at the ITC Grand Maratha at BOM - 5 minutes from the international terminal. Plenty of other posh hotels nearby too.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henners
Rubbish! Never had a problem storing luggage and using spa/gym on evening of flight after checking out.
Yes, but if you want to use your room etc. then you do have to pay for an extra night.

Dakshin in the Sheraton was always my dinner options before flying, followed by a drink or two in the Hyatt across the road. All of the BOM airport hotels are pretty decent.

Pick your DEL hotel on the basis of where you want to be during the day. Trekking from the Imperial to deepest Gurgaon can take a long, long time.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:02 am

On the subject of Indian lounges, anyone know what Bangalore lounge is like.
I'm going to have about 4 hours to spend there before heading off for an onward flight later in the year. (and will they let us in, arriving BA First into Bangalore and departing kingfisher to Trivandrum but in economy - we do have a priority pass too if that helps)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BLR lounge is a normal contract lounge. Nothing special, but so much better than the Rs150 coffee voucher that was offered at the old airport! However your F BP won't get you in as you aren't flying out on BA.

Check with PP whether they have access arrangements with the lounge.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Yes, but if you want to use your room etc. then you do have to pay for an extra night.
True, but that's a choice you can make: most people can survive without a hotel room during the day, particularly if you have the run of the public areas of a five star hotel.

It's a bit different from arriving on one of the many flights to India that get in at ridiculous o'clock in the morning, where you have realistically no choice but pay for the night before. I tried going straight to the office from the BLR flight once and would never do it again
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Check with PP whether they have access arrangements with the lounge.
I have and it seems to say only if going on international flight which I'm not, I was hoping someone might be able to say that you could get in having come off internatinoal flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.