Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More BA Rules I Should Have Known [when purchasing an IT fare]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, and sometimes even Air France

The Unintended Consequences of Booking a Car with a Flight

I booked 2 WT tks. LAX-PSA a while back for departure next week.
I checked on upgrading with miles and the system wouldn't let me.

Talked to Exec Club and was told that because I booked a car at the same time as the flight booking the system changed the fare bucket to "O" which is a consolidator/travel agent fare which is not eligable for upgrades. Without the car it books into a different bucket

On further questioning I found that if I had booked the tickets, logged out then logged back in I could have booked the car for only about 10% more and still retained all my rights to upgrade.

I think I also may have lost other unanticipated rights at the same time.

Should BA tell customers all this when making the booking?

Last edited by mthek; May 14, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Old May 14, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Only the most expensive Y-tickets are eligible for MFU (Miles for upgrade). And then only if there are any award seats available on the flight.

Are you sure that you would have had an eligible booking class if not selecting a car? Are you sure there are award seats on this specific flight?
Old May 14, 2011, 3:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yes, whenever you add a car rental or hotel stay when booking flights, the combined booking is classed as an "Inclusive Tour". IT fares are ineligible for the purpose of upgrading with miles. You might still be offered a cash upgrade. Worth checking MMB or at LAX.

If it's any consolation, only the most expensive WT fares (Y, B, H) can be upgraded with miles, so had you separated your flight and car rental reservations you probably would be in the same boat you're in now.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mthek
The Unintended Consequences of Booking a Car with a FlightOn further questioning I found that if I had booked the tickets, logged out then logged back in I could have booked the car for only about 10% more and still retained all my rights to upgrade.
Really? So you were looking at the H-class fare (the lowest MFUable fare), which on LAX-PSA which costs $2,261 per person r/t?
Old May 14, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, and sometimes even Air France
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Only the most expensive Y-tickets are eligible for MFU (Miles for upgrade). And then only if there are any award seats available on the flight.

Are you sure that you would have had an eligible booking class if not selecting a car? Are you sure there are award seats on this specific flight?
I have no idea if any award seats are available on my flight. I am unable to get that far.
I think that the original fare was in one of the other discount economy fares but I was just hoping to snatch one of the rare but sometimes possible last minute upgrades.
I also found that the O is not even upgradable with cash.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mthek
I also found that the O is not even upgradable with cash.
Says who?

I just replicated your LAX-PSA flight+car booking, and it gives the fare rules:

Time/date changes permitted at any time except on days of travel for a change fee of $275.00 per person or an upgrade fee of $275.00 plus any difference in fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.