Wiki Posts
Search

Upper Deck for Blues bagged 9 months out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Silver, BA Silver, VS Silver, EK Silver
Upper Deck for Blues bagged 9 months out

The Dashboard under Seating Policy states in red that Blues can only pay for UD Seating (£80) 14 days before.

Just booked UD Seats for JFK XMAS 27 Dec returning 3 JAN 2012 and was able to pay for UD at £160 return 9 Months out, for my daugher who is a lowly blue.

Bagged 64K !

Having said that ONLY 60B, 64B, J, K and 63 J K was open to pay for. On the same flight I went in as Silver and had the WHOLE UD to choose from.

Seems that they open up these 6 seats only to blues (same 6 available on both legs whist ALL available to Silvers).

May need to change the sticky.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:56 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

What is worse is that when BA produced the barmy "blues can pay for upstairs policy" they said that JFK would be ineligible.

Sadly they never went through with the saving grace of the policy.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
And here sits another EC Blue who is glad that they didn't -- otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to bag 64 A/B/J/K to JFK for my family !! ^
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:00 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
So much for "we're polishing gold", then. No surprises here, just having a dig.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
I thought this was well known. I plonked myself in 64A for a September flight when booking in January.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vla
More rolling it in glitter by the sound of things...

Needless to say, in pre-planning stage for a trip for 7 next Easter. Can't imagine we'll be paying £840 to allocate seats on BA when other airlines will let us do this at the time of booking for zero extra cost. Net result BA lose a £10-£15k booking.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:45 am
Suspended

Agreed. Didn't pay, managed 64K at checkin South Bound.
Heading back today, bagged rear window on B777.
It's a huge rip off, that as someone who flies BA 6-8 times
a year, can't ever fathom doing
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
More rolling it in glitter by the sound of things...

Needless to say, in pre-planning stage for a trip for 7 next Easter. Can't imagine we'll be paying £840 to allocate seats on BA when other airlines will let us do this at the time of booking for zero extra cost. Net result BA lose a £10-£15k booking.
Assuming the other airline offers a flat bed on a direct flight for the same price as BA.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by mtacchi
Agreed. Didn't pay, managed 64K at checkin South Bound.
Heading back today, bagged rear window on B777.
It's a huge rip off, that as someone who flies BA 6-8 times
a year, can't ever fathom doing
Agreed -- if travelling alone, I wouldn't give it a thought, but when travelling with the family it is worth the £320 to me for peace of mind. YMMV, but I'm not prepared to take the risk for TATL flights -- not a concern on the GLA-LHR sector, but a definite on the LH.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I assume you're not the lead passenger/booking it as you are Silver and won't therefore have to pay if you are?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Assuming the other airline offers a flat bed on a direct flight for the same price as BA.
I don't live in London so the direct flight is moot and so far the other options are looking cheaper anyway. Also, the value of a flat bed is IMO minimal heading West and vastly reduced if you're going to have a couple of days at home before going back to work on the eastbound (which we need as we can't sensibly send jet-lagged kids to school).

I'm off with the wife for a few days, BA long haul. At first we could only get J on the way back and at 8 weeks out on a leisure route, there were only 2 pairs of seats available. I was going to have to fork out the £120 but fortunately an e-mail to youfirst saw seats opened up in F. problem solved.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
I assume you're not the lead passenger/booking it as you are Silver and won't therefore have to pay if you are?
No, it's just the profile's out of date. Relegated back to blue.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

No, it's just the profile's out of date. Relegated back to blue.
All clear now! £840 is a fair bit of money just for seat allocation and better spent on the holiday itself.

I wonder how many people book with other carriers because of this and also how much BA lose per year in money because of this. The paid for seat policy has been in for quite some time now itso must be working, very profitable and making well into six figures, maybe more, per year?

Enjoy your F trip and hope it's NF!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
All clear now! £840 is a fair bit of money just for seat allocation and better spent on the holiday itself.

I wonder how many people book with other carriers because of this and also how much BA lose per year in money because of this. The paid for seat policy has been in for quite some time now itso must be working, very profitable and making well into six figures, maybe more, per year?

Enjoy your F trip and hope it's NF!
ex-LGW so as good as no chance of NF, but I can live with that.

I guess the issue is BA won't be able to accurately tell how many people don't book because of that. If I disappear off their radar they might assume my circumstances have changed so I can't afford to fly, rather than the fact i'm flying with someone else. (Anecdotal evidence suggests people like Trailfinders discourage clients from booking BA because of this policy.)
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vla
Sorry Mr Goldie but you were expecting too much....to put a whole section of the aircraft off limits to the general public would have been crazy.
If silly people are prepared to pay to get a CW seat allocated then you can't blame BA for not polishing your benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.