Upper Deck for Blues bagged 9 months out

Old Mar 31, 11, 5:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Programs: LY Silver, BA Silver, VS Silver, EK Silver
Posts: 132
Upper Deck for Blues bagged 9 months out

The Dashboard under Seating Policy states in red that Blues can only pay for UD Seating (80) 14 days before.

Just booked UD Seats for JFK XMAS 27 Dec returning 3 JAN 2012 and was able to pay for UD at 160 return 9 Months out, for my daugher who is a lowly blue.

Bagged 64K !

Having said that ONLY 60B, 64B, J, K and 63 J K was open to pay for. On the same flight I went in as Silver and had the WHOLE UD to choose from.

Seems that they open up these 6 seats only to blues (same 6 available on both legs whist ALL available to Silvers).

May need to change the sticky.
TLVFred is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 5:56 am
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,959
What is worse is that when BA produced the barmy "blues can pay for upstairs policy" they said that JFK would be ineligible.

Sadly they never went through with the saving grace of the policy.
andset1191 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 5:59 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Scotland
Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Posts: 1,122
And here sits another EC Blue who is glad that they didn't -- otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to bag 64 A/B/J/K to JFK for my family !!
Rickers is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:00 am
  #4  
vla
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Posts: 2,115
So much for "we're polishing gold", then. No surprises here, just having a dig.
vla is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:37 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,717
I thought this was well known. I plonked myself in 64A for a September flight when booking in January.
Scots_Al is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:39 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
Originally Posted by vla View Post
So much for "we're polishing gold", then. No surprises here, just having a dig.
More rolling it in glitter by the sound of things...

Needless to say, in pre-planning stage for a trip for 7 next Easter. Can't imagine we'll be paying 840 to allocate seats on BA when other airlines will let us do this at the time of booking for zero extra cost. Net result BA lose a 10-15k booking.
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:45 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,305
Agreed. Didn't pay, managed 64K at checkin South Bound.
Heading back today, bagged rear window on B777.
It's a huge rip off, that as someone who flies BA 6-8 times
a year, can't ever fathom doing
mtacchi is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, SW15
Programs: BMI & BA
Posts: 2,355
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
More rolling it in glitter by the sound of things...

Needless to say, in pre-planning stage for a trip for 7 next Easter. Can't imagine we'll be paying 840 to allocate seats on BA when other airlines will let us do this at the time of booking for zero extra cost. Net result BA lose a 10-15k booking.
Assuming the other airline offers a flat bed on a direct flight for the same price as BA.
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Scotland
Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Posts: 1,122
Originally Posted by mtacchi View Post
Agreed. Didn't pay, managed 64K at checkin South Bound.
Heading back today, bagged rear window on B777.
It's a huge rip off, that as someone who flies BA 6-8 times
a year, can't ever fathom doing
Agreed -- if travelling alone, I wouldn't give it a thought, but when travelling with the family it is worth the 320 to me for peace of mind. YMMV, but I'm not prepared to take the risk for TATL flights -- not a concern on the GLA-LHR sector, but a definite on the LH.
Rickers is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:59 am
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,520
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Needless to say, in pre-planning stage for a trip for 7 next Easter. Can't imagine we'll be paying 840 to allocate seats on BA when other airlines will let us do this at the time of booking for zero extra cost. Net result BA lose a 10-15k booking.
I assume you're not the lead passenger/booking it as you are Silver and won't therefore have to pay if you are?
PETER01 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 6:59 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Assuming the other airline offers a flat bed on a direct flight for the same price as BA.
I don't live in London so the direct flight is moot and so far the other options are looking cheaper anyway. Also, the value of a flat bed is IMO minimal heading West and vastly reduced if you're going to have a couple of days at home before going back to work on the eastbound (which we need as we can't sensibly send jet-lagged kids to school).

I'm off with the wife for a few days, BA long haul. At first we could only get J on the way back and at 8 weeks out on a leisure route, there were only 2 pairs of seats available. I was going to have to fork out the 120 but fortunately an e-mail to youfirst saw seats opened up in F. problem solved.
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 7:00 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I assume you're not the lead passenger/booking it as you are Silver and won't therefore have to pay if you are?
No, it's just the profile's out of date. Relegated back to blue.
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 7:14 am
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,520
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
No, it's just the profile's out of date. Relegated back to blue.
All clear now! 840 is a fair bit of money just for seat allocation and better spent on the holiday itself.

I wonder how many people book with other carriers because of this and also how much BA lose per year in money because of this. The paid for seat policy has been in for quite some time now itso must be working, very profitable and making well into six figures, maybe more, per year?

Enjoy your F trip and hope it's NF!
PETER01 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 7:43 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
All clear now! 840 is a fair bit of money just for seat allocation and better spent on the holiday itself.

I wonder how many people book with other carriers because of this and also how much BA lose per year in money because of this. The paid for seat policy has been in for quite some time now itso must be working, very profitable and making well into six figures, maybe more, per year?

Enjoy your F trip and hope it's NF!
ex-LGW so as good as no chance of NF, but I can live with that.

I guess the issue is BA won't be able to accurately tell how many people don't book because of that. If I disappear off their radar they might assume my circumstances have changed so I can't afford to fly, rather than the fact i'm flying with someone else. (Anecdotal evidence suggests people like Trailfinders discourage clients from booking BA because of this policy.)
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old Mar 31, 11, 8:06 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,819
Originally Posted by vla View Post
So much for "we're polishing gold", then. No surprises here, just having a dig.
Sorry Mr Goldie but you were expecting too much....to put a whole section of the aircraft off limits to the general public would have been crazy.
If silly people are prepared to pay to get a CW seat allocated then you can't blame BA for not polishing your benefits.
HIDDY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread