Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA56 RTO (rejected take off) 30/03/11...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alexee
Interesting to hear the details - after the 2 aborted take-offs I bailed and went home on KLM via Amsterdam.

Did you pay your own fare to get home?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by J-Class
I can only remember one RTO in my whole flying career. DL DC-9 departing DFW, 1988. Wind direction caused high speed engine stall (which made a loud bang!). Five minutes later we took off without a hitch. Terrifying at the time - afterwards, the captain announced that the first class booze trolley would be made available to all passengers!
I had two RTOs in one night last year. Was flying KGL-BJM-NBO on KQ a KQ E-170 and we had an RTO out of BJM at about 2AM because of a bird strike. We taxied back to the ramp and the pilots checked out the A/C (I don't believe MX was present which is somewhat startling). Pilots came back on and made some announcement to the effect that there was some blood on the engine, but no apparent damage to the fan blades. Shortly thereafter we had RTO number two because engine vibrations were beyond tolerenace. Flt cxld.

I always feel like I am risking my life when flying in sub-Saharan Africa and this experience didn't help. I don't want to think what the emergency response would've been like if something worse would've happened.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yeah, cos this never ever happens on any other airline ever....

It's not the technical fault that is making me reconsider - it is the fact that the aircraft was not repaired properly and was effectively tested with a full load of passengers! Makes me question BA's commitment to passenger safety. Secondly, the way we were treated on the ground left a lot to be desired...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
It's not the technical fault that is making me reconsider - it is the fact that the aircraft was not repaired properly and was effectively tested with a full load of passengers! Makes me question BA's commitment to passenger safety. Secondly, the way we were treated on the ground left a lot to be desired...
I think my story illustrates that all that happens on other airlines too. You make a lot of assumptions (one of them that BA was testing an aircraft with pax) which are most likely wrong and frankly a little absurd. Sometimes you think you fixed the problem but it just wasn't the case as happened in my scenario.

Customer Service in South Africa is a different problem. More related to the location than the airline. If it had been KLM you would have been treated with equal disinterest. I can tell you some stories...

Just my $0,02. Not defending BA here.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Did you pay your own fare to get home?
Are you suggesting that from an airport with lots and lots of daily commercial alternatives to Europe, that after a 48 hour delay that BA would refuse to take care of its delayed passengers by protecting them on other airlines? As JNB is hardly a remote location with limited alternatives, I would find it shocking to hear that BA refused to reaccommodate passengers on other airlines' services.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Are you suggesting that from an airport with lots and lots of daily commercial alternatives to Europe, that after a 48 hour delay that BA would refuse to take care of its delayed passengers by protecting them on other airlines? As JNB is hardly a remote location with limited alternatives, I would find it shocking to hear that BA refused to reaccommodate passengers on other airlines' services.
BA categorically refused to rebook.

On the first nite, the KLM flight via AMS left at 23:30 and there were seats (in Y) - BA refused to rebook - even club and shiny card holders.
Ditto the second nite, when we were off the aircraft and back in the terminal much earlier so there were more options - total refusal, even via DXB or DOH, or even for the following day.
We were told that if we rebooked, it was at entirely our own expense and would not be reimbursed. On the first nite, a one way walk up in Y on KLM was just over 13000 rand.
The ground service was the absolute worst I have ever experienced at any airport, on any airline ever, for many, many reasons that I wont bore you with here.
The icing on the cake was heading to board the flight that eventually took off (G-CIVY), and our BPs and the screens in the lounge said the wrong gate at the opposite end of the terminal (A20 instead of A01), and the wrong time.

We finally landed @LHR on saturday morning- a not insignificant delay of 50.5 hrs in total.
BA will be getting an earful on the phone tomorrow from an entire 744s worth of very hacked off passengers.

I also believe the plane (G-BYGE) is still there and still hasn't been fixed.

Last edited by leaveamessage; Apr 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

South Africa is not the most customer centric culture in the world. Especially not if you deal with airlines or car rental companies. Some things you can't train...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That would worry me too.

On my only RTO (KLM at LUX), the crew took the plane out for a go-around before letting passengers on for the real thing.

Still some tightly cllenched buttocks at take-off though.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:49 pm

You can't blame South African culture for the refusal to rebook. That kind of policy is set by HQ. I have never been to SA, but if the service really is so bad I assume they would just want to get rid of passengers ASAP - rebooking on other airlines is one of the easiest ways.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR
You can't blame South African culture for the refusal to rebook. That kind of policy is set by HQ.
There are some companies who pay me handsomely to try and resolve the (sometimes impossible) problem of their service centres in certain countries not executing company policy but doing whatever leads to the least amount of trouble for them... South Africa is one of those countries.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
After the second RTO, I think I might too have abandoned ship -certainly they wouldn't get me on the same aircraft until I had seen it fly

I would have probably taken Comair down to CPT and tried to get on a BA service there. If BA on the ground are refusing, I'd be amazed if BA EC would be unwilling to help. Either way, a delay of 50 hours is pathetic, and I would EXPECT the airline to at least try to secure seats on other carriers.

These things do sometimes happen -certainly very unlucky -and if ever there were a case for some compensation, I think this is it!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
G-BYGE is finally on her way home empty right now.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Had one RTO and fortunately never an issue on landing. Leaving EDI late one January afternoon, I had been on a day trip from LHR on business. Leaving the clients site so late that I arrived at the car hire return with 30 minutes to departure.

Got to the gate as they closed it, they called the plane and said I could board, as we accelerated down the runway there was clearly a problem as we slowed and pulled off to a remote part of the airport and the pilot sat revving up and down the engines, eventually telling us in the calm voice of a true hero of aviation "sorry about that folks, had a few warning lights pop up here in the cockpit, seems everything is okay now, we'll go round and try again" - I was convinced I was going to end up in the papers, fate, I was meant to miss the flight but they let me on and then we all died in a horrible fireball. Turns out there was nothing to worry about!!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by flyer16
G-BYGE is finally on her way home empty right now.
Are they pushing it?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
Are they pushing it?
No!!! Flapping their own wings silly!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.