Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Furton
How can I tell what fare bucket it's trying to put me in whilst booking and using UuA?
Click on the flight number. If the booking engine can tell you at that stage, the pop-up will show you the booking class. But I have a suspicion that this will not work during the UuA booking process.

Can you match the £2K and the £3.4K price quotes (broken down to base fare plus TFC) to any published WT+ fares, eg via the list on EF or by using ITA?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Thinking about it. Am I not better off simply booking the flights as a standard wt+ ticket then phoning up immediately to upgrade the outbound? Assume I still cannot UuA if I'm starting in MAN?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Blue
Taxes and Charges question.

Hi

I'm sure this has been asked, and probably answered, countless times but I am interested in peoples opinions on the following;

First let me say I have had some wonderful trips using, originally, my BMI Diamond Club points and now Avios, being able to travel way further forward than I would have done any other way, so please take this as a minor moan!

In October last year booked a CW ticket to travel LON-PHI the breakdown was 80,000 avios and £532 in taxes and charges.

My wife is thinking of taking a CW trip to New York sometime between Nov and Feb next winter - There are plenty of reward seats available but on the BA website the breakdown is 80,000 plus up to £824 taxes and charges.

Why such a big difference?

I did some research and every US destination has, apparently, the same charges however, LON-SYD would only need £640 in charges!

I even looked at the ITA Matrix Airfare Search (as recommended in another thread) which shows taxes and charges on other carriers would be approx £500.

Is this BA just making extra money on reward redemption bookings? If so should this fare breakdown not be explained to us?

Personally I would feel much happier if BA were up front and said;

"Avios only bookings are no longer available with BA your pricing options are;

(for example) 80,000 avios + £350 + taxes & charges
72,000 avios + £490 + taxes & charges
60,000 avios + £700 + taxes & charges
52,000 avios + £890 + taxes & charges etc."
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Furton
... if I'm starting in MAN?
This is the bit of information that's been missing so far.

ISTR that there's a known bug in the booking engine which puts a WT+ --> CW UuA booking into W class if there's more than one sector involved, even though there are lower booking classes available for a cash ticket. That may be what you're seeing.

Yes, you could book the cash ticket online and then phone to UuA. Or you could phone to book the whole thing in one go, which would avoid the risk of the award availability vanishing before you can grab it post-cash booking - although in that situation you might be able to avail yourself of the 24 hour cancellation policy.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enjaybee
In October last year booked a CW ticket to travel LON-PHI the breakdown was 80,000 avios and £532 in taxes and charges.

My wife is thinking of taking a CW trip to New York sometime between Nov and Feb next winter - There are plenty of reward seats available but on the BA website the breakdown is 80,000 plus up to £824 taxes and charges.

Why such a big difference?
Is there actually any difference of substance? Have you tried pricing a trip? LHR-JFK-LHR round-trip in CW is 80,000 Avios + £537.05 in TFC, according to a dummy booking I've just tried.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:13 am

G

Thanks, I also just tried a dummy trip and your figures are correct.

Begs the question though, (and I do argue your "substance" remark) why quote "up to £824"?

Why would the charges ever vary that much?

Although the difference between £530 and £824 may not seem much to you, to me it's an awful lot and I'm sure some people would not continue to the booking stage if they thought they might have to spend £824 (each if it was a multi person booking)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Begs the question though, (and I do argue your "substance" remark) why quote "up to £824"?
I meant there's no difference of substance between your last £532 ticket and the current £537.05 quote.

I can't work out the "up to £824" either. But as it immediately sounded wrong, I went to get a quote straight away.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
No you didn't. British Airways does not fly to Pinheiro, Brazil.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
G

Thanks, I also just tried a dummy trip and your figures are correct.

Another 'feature' of the Avios Explorer Map I believe.. I think it relates to the worst case scenario LHR-SYD in J/F.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:32 am

No you didn't. British Airways does not fly to Pinheiro, Brazil.
Ha,Ha!!!

Serves me right for trying to be smart! How about PHL??
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Ha,Ha!!!

Serves me right for trying to be smart! How about PHL??
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Has anyone noticed different availability showing for different accounts? Me and my wife are seeing completely different availability in CW LHR > ORD in March...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Just tried looking for awards EDI-HKG between August - December this year. Nothing between end of August - end of December in any class, on either BA or CX.

Tried Lon - HKG and lots of availability popped up. I take it there is still either rubbish availability on domestics or the online tool has a glitch? Anyone know which it is? It's hard to believe there isn't one domestic reward seat available EDI-LON between August and December
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably a bit of both. Phone up and they will very often put you on hold while they wheedle a domestic seat from revenue management.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by stifle
Probably a bit of both. Phone up and they will very often put you on hold while they wheedle a domestic seat from revenue management.
Yeah, but that means I need to make a decision about when to fly! I was hoping availability would guide me...

Oh.. tide times at Mai Po. Need good tide times

Thanks for the answer though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.