Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to First at the Gate do i get tier points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,

My wife was upgraded at the gate from CW to First. Should she recieve tier points for F or CW?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:30 am

No, she'll get TP from ticket puchased, not cabin travelled.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Droch
My wife was upgraded at the gate from CW to First. Should she recieve tier points for F or CW?
CW
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I hope that your wife enjoyed the F experience.

I understand that BA considers that the upgrade itself should be a gift of sufficient gravity that the extra tier points and miles that buying an F ticket would provide are not required as well.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I hope that your wife enjoyed the F experience.

I understand that BA considers that the upgrade itself should be a gift of sufficient gravity that the extra tier points and miles that buying an F ticket would provide are not required as well.
Precisely.

Any upgrade, especially one into F, is considered to be such a bonus that TP's would not be offered. I'd far rather have the F upgrade and keep the CW TPs than not have the upgrade, as is the case for the majority.

After all you are getting something worth thousands of pounds (or dollars) more for nothing.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: MUCCI
J to F is a real treat on the (very) rare occasions it happens.
The miles and tier points are for J only but you have just had an upgrade worth a lot of money!
FD
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
You get the TPs and miles for the cabin you paid for.

Unless you don't actually fly at all, in which case you don't.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm guessing [with confidence] that, having already done the MFU from WT+ to CW, there is NO WAY the OH and I are ever going to get an OpUp

We live with our WT+ Miles, and thank BAEC for letting us get close to the pointed end!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm guessing [with confidence] that, having already done the MFU from WT+ to CW, there is NO WAY the OH and I are ever going to get an OpUp

We live with our WT+ Miles, and thank BAEC for letting us get close to the pointed end!
Being on an MFU doesn't preclude an opup to F - I can confirm this from (a number of) personal experiences. That said an opuo from a good CW seat to an F seatwith non functioning IFE on a 777 is not necessary that much of a bonus!

However, there being 2 of you is likely to reduce your chances of an opup.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:07 pm
Suspended

The upgrade is done because it helps BA - they oversold your paid class of service, so while great, it is only happening because it is of use to the company.

That said, I would next expect the extra TPs, and upgrades are great and appreciated. However, BA and virtually all airlines don't do them just to be nice, they have a commercial purpose.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Thanks for all the replys. Yes she enjoyed it but I know she missed out on some things, I hadn't prepared her for a flight in F, but she did enjoy it.

When we fly on the 2-4-1 in F coming up believe me she will be prepared then.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

Has happened a few times for me, although I'm unsually travelling on my own. I'm crossing my fingers for a flight to SIN next week where MMB is showing all seats in CW already taken (although I have my first choice upper deck seat to console me for the inevitable disappointment )
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Mr H and I have been upgraded from WT+ to CW a few times when travelling together. I have also seen mother / daughter pairs and two friends op-upped. I would imagine when it comes to filling the middle E&F seats it might be a good idea to pick passengers who are already in pairs.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by HilFly
Mr H and I have been upgraded from WT+ to CW a few times when travelling together. I have also seen mother / daughter pairs and two friends op-upped. I would imagine when it comes to filling the middle E&F seats it might be a good idea to pick passengers who are already in pairs.
But T8191 was talking about upgrades from CW to F rather than WT+ to CW.

With F being a very much smaller cabin op-ups occur less often and more frequently (though not totally) single pax.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Marcusm

However, there being 2 of you is likely to reduce your chances of an opup.
Unless they need two or more seats and this saves them time by only having to access one reservation.

To the OP: probably not, but these mistakes can sometimes happen if they book an op-up into a revenue inventory. It's happened to me on AA. The only time that I'd actually ask about it (and I doubt this was the case) is if the airline were offering inexpensive paid upgrades at the gate. Then they should clarify what benefits those upgrades do and don't come with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.