Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Latest BASSA Ballot for strike action [28 March vote for strike]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver

Just got this from Skynews - BA Cabin Crew vote 8-1 in favour of more strikes, dates of action to be decided.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Hurrah
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Just got this from Skynews - BA Cabin Crew vote 8-1 in favour of more strikes, dates of action to be decided.
With 5,811 YES votes.

9,824 people were balloted, and the 5,811 is obviously not 8:1, so I'm assuming that ratio is coming from the number of returned votes.

So, I make that 5,811 YES and roughly 726 NO votes, giving around 6,500 returned votes. That means around 3,300 people chose not to vote.

Interestingly, this result had slightly more YES votes than the last ballot, which was reported at 5,571. That's up from 56.22% of those that voted, to 59.15%

(previous figures from here: http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf...ml#post6296261)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:45 am

I wonder if so many would vote to improve already excellent benefits in a time of economic hardship if they thought doing so could jeopardise their entire job? Because if they continue striking like this that may well be the end result when BA goes under.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oh joy But predictable given the current labour climate

H
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
The reason so many voted YES is that they fear to be without representation. To them not supporting their union equates to not having one in the future (since they will be powerless). Not an unreasonable position. Of course BASSA has made a mockery out of being a union and they have mismanaged this conflict beyond belief but that does not mean the BA cabin crew should now simply go without representation.

Now you can all come up with all kinds of Management Consultancy lingo and well formed and supported cases for why they are wrong but most of the cabin crew haven't got a degree in economics, law or management and most are still young and inexperienced.

It is easy to label them all as fools but there was no real alternative for them. Voting no or leaving the union leaves them defenseless against an employer who by no means is a meek sheep.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
I wonder what time the injunction will be presented at the High Court
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Smile

I give up.

What these people need is a real alternative: a union that represents their interests, but in a grown-up manner commensurate with the 21st century. One day, this will happen.

Face Bovvered? BA will continue to fly.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Interesting that the Unite website currently (61 minutes after the announcement) has no mention of this.

Maybe they want the whole thing to go away too?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kirky
I wonder what time the injunction will be presented at the High Court
Or will BA let them tear away with a strike and then go to the courts.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
So is it time to change to change all my reservations? Would the strike include include Openskies? Please don't tell me that I might to take Air Chance???
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
So is it time to change to change all my reservations? Would the strike include include Openskies? Please don't tell me that I might to take Air Chance???
A) What strike?
B) If strike --> planes still fly --> no worries
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Only BA mainline, and usually limited to LHR, they do a good job with those willing to work + volunteers + wet leases to get a large portion of their flights running.

Flights operated by subsidiaries/franchisees including EC, CJ, EZ, MN are not involved in the strike action. So there's no chance an Openskies flight could be affected by this strike.

Of course Openskies operates from France so there may be a strike about something
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
And no, OpenSkies flights won't be affected at all - nor LGW, nor LCY - and for the most part, nor LHR.

Some LHR shorthauls may be affected if it even gets that far.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Just talked to someone and she said they'd have a clearer picture later on today. LH no problem especially the NY route, but the CDG ... oh well. Last sticks didn't affect me, I still flew. Mind you the FA's weren't that happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.