Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Trip to Australia in CW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by estate
Red e-deals are very common, provided you book more than three weeks in advance you'll almost certainly be able to book at the cheapest rates. The only exception to this may be during Australian school holidays. Bear in mind when researching dates that Aus school holidays vary a little bit between states, so google the holidays times for the specific states you plan to visit.

If the BKK route offers better availability that's a good thing anyway, 744 CW is better than 777, provided you get a seat upstairs.
Yes i would definately want to go on a 747 CW and sample the UD ^ for the first time i dont really want to go on a 777
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:01 am
Original Poster

right.... signing off for a bit folks as going out but keep the advice coming its much appreciated, will be back later to see what you have all said

Thanks alot

Paddy.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Platinum,AB Top Bonus , LH Miles & More, Virgin Flying Club
Cheaper from Europe!!

Take a look to my Site:

www.svenflyreisen.at and look fares from Frankfort, Germany they are offer good fares in Business Class also Qantas Airways fly over Singapore to Sydney.

Greetz,

Sven Tetens
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I might just do the flights through BA as if i could raise the cash i would like to book a really nice hotel overlooking the sydney opera house etc etc.
Be prepared to pay a lot for your Oz trip! We are planning Thailand sometime next year and said that we know it will be £2500pp at the very least if we want to go for 2 weeks! If we can MFU from WT+ to CW we will, but otherwise we will try to find some well priced CW fares- and may even upgrade the outbound to F if we can!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Consider flying with Finnair. There have been some cracking deals with them ~£1700 semi-flex return in J.

You can go LHR-(ARN)-HEL-(HKG/BKK/SIN)-SYD-(HKG/BKK/SIN)-HEL-(ARN)-LHR

It allows you to sample:

AY (shorthaul and longhaul)
CX (longhaul)
QF (longhaul)
BA (shorthaul and longhaul)

As AY don't go all the way to SYD.

AY has a flight to SIN starting this summer. You might also be able to get an intra Asia hop in there as well.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
I'm off to Oz in May and we've got 2 1/2 weeks to do Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Port Lincoln. The Qantas red deal flights are great value for money and allow us to get around for a good price with a good range of flight times.

It's also worth thinking about hotel loyalty schemes whilst you're building your miles balance. We've snagged some quality nights in the Intercontinentals down there on the points which helps keep the overall price down.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikey2124
Be prepared to pay a lot for your Oz trip! We are planning Thailand sometime next year and said that we know it will be £2500pp at the very least if we want to go for 2 weeks! If we can MFU from WT+ to CW we will, but otherwise we will try to find some well priced CW fares- and may even upgrade the outbound to F if we can!
Good to hear from you mikey and yes i no its going to cost alot i was just wanting to ask all the experts on FT if there is anyway i could get the price down a bit by say flying from somewhere else instead of LHR
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
I'm off to Oz in May and we've got 2 1/2 weeks to do Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Port Lincoln. The Qantas red deal flights are great value for money and allow us to get around for a good price with a good range of flight times.

It's also worth thinking about hotel loyalty schemes whilst you're building your miles balance. We've snagged some quality nights in the Intercontinentals down there on the points which helps keep the overall price down.
And these good deals you mention jono is that for flying business class aswell as thats how i want to fly at least
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

thanks for all this input boys and girls its a great help!

Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonWB
Consider flying with Finnair. There have been some cracking deals with them ~£1700 semi-flex return in J.

You can go LHR-(ARN)-HEL-(HKG/BKK/SIN)-SYD-(HKG/BKK/SIN)-HEL-(ARN)-LHR

It allows you to sample:

AY (shorthaul and longhaul)
CX (longhaul)
QF (longhaul)
BA (shorthaul and longhaul)

As AY don't go all the way to SYD.

AY has a flight to SIN starting this summer. You might also be able to get an intra Asia hop in there as well.
Great advice Jonwb i will do some looking up on the internet
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:58 pm

It would be November or december when we would go so would probably book in the BA January sale.
Consider buying 200 shares in BA (or IAG now they have merged with Iberia). You then get a 10% discount on all BA fares (so long as you fly BA - not Qantas code share).

The saving for 2 Club World tickets to SYD would be significant, and with the share price being so low at the moment, it's a good time to buy. You need to hold 200 shares before the cut off date in November - there are more details in the Ultimate BA Guide thread.

EDIT - It's not been confirmed if the shareholder discount will continue next year, but if you buy just before November, it should have been confirmed by then.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
And these good deals you mention jono is that for flying business class aswell as thats how i want to fly at least
I haven't booked business class for the domestic flights in Oz as I didn't see that it was worth the difference in price. We're flying first class to Oz and back thanks to miles and 2-4-1 voucher. Instead of spending money on domestic business we've spent the cash on more trips, better hotels and upgrading the hire car as ultimately I think this represents a better usage of funds for us.

Best of luck finding a good deal on the business class flights down there, it will be a great start to your holiday.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonWB
Looking any airline other than QF & BA is likley to be cheaper: Emirates and other gulf airlines, Air NZ, Virgin, any of the asian airlines.

Also there are airports in Oz other than SYD. but Qantas (aka Air Sydney) & BA do not want you to know that.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 15, 2011 at 1:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also there are airports in Oz other than SYD. but Qantas (aka Air Sydney) & BA do not want you to know that.
Yes, Melbourne, where Qantas has just as many flights to London as it does from Sydney so not sure what your point is .

Ex. SYD:

-QF31/32 (via SIN)
-QF1/2 (via BKK)

Ex. MEL:

-QF9/10 (via SIN)
-QF29/30 (via HKG)

Same number of direct flights, but different routes.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Consider buying 200 shares in BA (or IAG now they have merged with Iberia). You then get a 10% discount on all BA fares (so long as you fly BA - not Qantas code share).

The saving for 2 Club World tickets to SYD would be significant, and with the share price being so low at the moment, it's a good time to buy. You need to hold 200 shares before the cut off date in November - there are more details in the Ultimate BA Guide thread.

EDIT - It's not been confirmed if the shareholder discount will continue next year, but if you buy just before November, it should have been confirmed by then.
Brilliant idea! so how much would 200 shares in BA cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.