Search

Best way to spend 5 to 7 hours in AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by henkybaby
It will take you 30 minutes to get to the train station (if you're lucky) and at least another 30 minutes to get to Amsterdam Central Station (if you're lucky)
Why 30 minutes to the train station? It usually takes me well under 15 minutes coming from London. Remember the OP is making a day trip so no bags. I sometimes get from the plane to WTC in well under 30 minutes if I time it right.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd go along with what Genius1 said and bag all the points at once by going to HEL....stay and make a weekend out of it.
Everyone understands English. The centre is compact and easily navigated by foot....especially nice down at the water side. HEL Vantaa is also one of my favourite airports.
Amsterdam although nice is rather over-rated in my opinion.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There is a city bus that goes from Schiphol to the Leidesplein; 4x/hour. Costs 4Euros 1-way. You can catch a canal tour there, walk over to the museums (Reijks, Van Gogh, etc), sit at a cafe in Leidesplein & watch the entertainment/people watch, etc.

Found this from a trip report I did in the Marriott forum:

"Bus: Runs 4x/hour & goes to/from Leidesplein & Schiphol. 30 minutes total transit time. Bus is red, & says 197. They have electronic signs at the Schiphol stops that will say which bus # & the schedule for the next hour. Pick-up is Stand 11 (I think) in front of Schiphol Plaza; just walk outside of the airport. Picks up across from from the Leidesplein on the bridge & drops off at Stand 8 (I think) directly in front to Schiphol Plaza. It is 4 Euros each way. First pick-up from the Leidesplein area is 05:14a.m. & the last is 00:05."

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by stimpy
Why 30 minutes to the train station? It usually takes me well under 15 minutes coming from London. Remember the OP is making a day trip so no bags. I sometimes get from the plane to WTC in well under 30 minutes if I time it right.
If you have the experience, get your bearings straight away, etc; sure. The OP does sound like he is a little less secure so I was thinking 5/10 min to the passport check, 5/10 for the check, 5 to get to the train station. 10 to figure out how to buy a train ticket, 5 to find the right platform etc...

I agree that AMS is slightly overrated.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

It will take you 30 minutes to get to the train station (if you're lucky) and at least another 30 minutes to get to Amsterdam Central Station (if you're lucky) so that is already one hour gone (if you're lucky). To get back you need to make sure not to take the latest possible train but one before meaning that you will arrive at least 1:30hr before your flight departs. So that is at least another 2 hours gone (if you're lucky).

Red light district .....
.....if you're lucky.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
How can anything be overrated when someone is only spending 5-7 hours there?

For a first-time European visit by someone who speaks English only, AMS is certainly a good choice. And this thread has given him/her a lot of options for the time period.

HEL sounds interesting though, based on what's been posted.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
.....if you're lucky.
So, I made my point then?

Red Light District 30 minutes minimum. If you're lucky.

Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Red Light District 30 minutes minimum. If you're lucky.
30 seconds is more than enough for certain elderly South American-based Scots who frequent this forum.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:20 am

30 seconds is more than enough for certain elderly South American-based Scots who frequent this forum.
I'd rather have a cup of tea and appeltaart.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't underestimate the power of the little blue pill!

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd rather have a cup of tea and appeltaart.
Appeltaart is a good choice indeed. Met slagroom. However, we are talking Amsterdam so space-cake is more in tune...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:31 am

However, we are talking Amsterdam so space-cake is more in tune...
Be careful though, my last space cake was a bit stale. Definitely not made fresh that day!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Be careful though, my last space cake was a bit stale. Definitely not made fresh that day!
If you cared (or remembered for that matter) it wasn't any good to begin with.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:37 am

If you cared (or remembered for that matter) it wasn't any good to begin with.
Had a half of it, then binned it. Still managed to see a two headed symmetrical horse though on the train towards Eindhoven.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Had a half of it, then binned it. Still managed to see a two headed symmetrical horse though on the train towards Eindhoven.
I think we might have stumbled upon the answer to the OPs question. Not only will he pass the time but it will make his subsequent trip all the more interesting! ^
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
You could pick any of the Scandinavian countries and find plenty of people who speak English too. Amsterdam will, however, be cheaper to visit than any of them. Also, the train to Amsterdam Centraal is cheaper than, for example, the Flytoget train in Oslo. CPH is a very short train ride from Copenhagen city centre, and there is quite a bit to do there, but mainly in the summer (Tivoli, Nyhaven etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.