Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Touring a 747

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
OT: Touring a 747

Having visited Brooklands museum in January I've been bitten by the aviation museum bug . Visiting Concorde and getting to sit in the cockpit of a VC10 was definately one of the highlights of my trip.

I'd love to be able to tour a 747, I know that there is one at Le Bouget but does anyone know where others are located? Does anyone have experiences of visiting these?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Off the top of my head:

There's one at ARN which is also a hostel
The nosecone of a NW 747-200 is at NASM, National Mall, Washington DC

Lots more listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: KL
There's one at Aviodrome in Lelystad, The Netherlands, about 60-70 km / 50-60 minutes driving from Amsterdam / Schiphol airport. It's a former KLM 747-200 passenger/freighter combi, the "Louis Blériot". You can walk straight into it from inside the main museum building via a jetway bridge.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:53 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
There's also bound to be one at Seattle if you are out that way!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC
It's a long way to go (although easier for you than most!), but the Qantas museum at Longreach in Queensland is one possibility: http://www.qfom.com.au/

Last edited by HighlandPark; Feb 24, 2011 at 2:05 am
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighlandPark
It's a long way to go (although easier for you than most!), but the Qantas museum at Longreach in Queensland is one possibility: http://www.qfom.com.au/
Not too far for me actually, I live in Sydney.
I had a look at flights to Longreach last night, quite expensive but it looks like a great place to visit. You can even walk on the wing of the 747.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by matthandy
I had a look at flights to Longreach last night, quite expensive but it looks like a great place to visit. You can even walk on the wing of the 747.
It's quite fun. Explore the cargo area etc. About $100 for the wing walk and cockpit visit.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by OPebble
There's also bound to be one at Seattle if you are out that way!
The Museum of Flight has the 747 prototype on display, but the interior is not open for tours like the 707 or Concorde is.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:37 pm

Do it. The Stockman's Hall of Fame is across the road and also well worth a visit.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Buying an F ticket will allow you to explore all four cabins of the BA 747!

But walking on the wings and seeing the flight deck and crew rest area would probably not be permitted.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:39 am

There's an ex Lufthansa 747 at Speyer and a Concorde (ex AF) + Konkordski (ex SU) at the sister museum in Sinsheim.

see:

http://www.technik-museum.de/english

The Sinsheim museum is particularly good if you like old cars in addition to aircraft.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:48 am

There's an Air France one at Le Bourget in Paris.

Inside is pretty cool. They have some areas with seats and other areas where everything is stripped back to the bare metal. Definitely worth a visit. And Concorde is next door too.

We visited during the Paris Air Show but I think it's open outside of the airshow. I can't see an English language page but the French page is linked below:

http://www.museeairespace.fr/votre-v...sentation.html
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StarAllianceGold
There's an Air France one at Le Bourget in Paris.

Inside is pretty cool. They have some areas with seats and other areas where everything is stripped back to the bare metal. Definitely worth a visit. And Concorde is next door too.

We visited during the Paris Air Show but I think it's open outside of the airshow. I can't see an English language page but the French page is linked below:

http://www.museeairespace.fr/votre-v...sentation.html
Sorry to bring this thread up but wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions. I was actually very close to booking a ticket to Paris to go to Le Bourget but just found out that the date I want to travel is the first day of the Paris Air Show so I won't be able to go, and I'll miss out on the CCR room too (connecting from an F flight) .
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
just found out that the date I want to travel is the first day of the Paris Air Show so I won't be able to go, and I'll miss out on the CCR room too (connecting from an F flight) .
That's unfortunate... but just think of those long F sectors to look forward to
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Buying an F ticket will allow you to explore all four cabins of the BA 747!

But walking on the wings and seeing the flight deck and crew rest area would probably not be permitted.
Took Mrs Antichef on just such a trip two weeks ago as she had never been on a 747 before. The cockpit was out of bounds and the wing was a little windy and about -57 and as we were wearing BA F Pj's decided to skip that part of the tour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.