Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Opinion Needed on LHR Hotel for Short Overnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion Needed on LHR Hotel for Short Overnight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'll be road-testing The Stanwell in September ... not exactly on the airport, but at least it doesn't charge the stupid prices of the Sofitel.

OK, it's costing us £99, but at least it seems we can afford to have a proper meal without having to sell the cat to pay for it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
I'll be road-testing The Stanwell in September ... not exactly on the airport, but at least it doesn't charge the stupid prices of the Sofitel.

OK, it's costing us £99, but at least it seems we can afford to have a proper meal without having to sell the cat to pay for it.
That seems more like a getaway hotel for couples rather than solo travellers or those with kids, although I could be wrong having made my judgements from the website.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:21 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
There is a Travelodge around 1.5 miles from T5, maps indicate you could walk but you can't.....a cab is around £15. There is a Hoppa but as has already been said, for 3 of you and the convenience, a cab would be my recommendation.

We got a deal there in Feb for £43.00 for the room and breakfast (this was an additional fiver or so each pre-booked). Not the best hotel I've ever stayed in but it was perfectly adequate for the two of us for one night and they do family rooms. Its location leaves a little to be desired as it's situated on an industrial estate but a walk into the village (Colnbrook?) is about 20 minutes and there's a few places to eat - I would recommend The Ostrich, not overly cheap but lovely food.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...row-hotel.html
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:29 am

Stays are only up to the 30th Sept. I'm travelling in October or would have gone for that.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by xenole
Stays are only up to the 30th Sept. I'm travelling in October or would have gone for that.
If you want "cheap", Ibis is walkable from the last stop of the LHR free flow zone (free bus rides) and should be pretty cheap.

Holiday Inn Ariel should also be pretty cheap and has less distance to walk from the free flow zone stop.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That seems more like a getaway hotel for couples rather than solo travellers or those with kids, although I could be wrong having made my judgements from the website.
Fair point ... we are travelling as a couple, which does skew some perceptions!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you want "cheap", Ibis is walkable from the last stop of the LHR free flow zone (free bus rides) and should be pretty cheap.

Holiday Inn Ariel should also be pretty cheap and has less distance to walk from the free flow zone stop.
Anything is cheap compared to the Sofitel! Even some hotels in central London don't come to that price.
I'll probably book a Holiday Inn as I've stayed there before and don't need luxury and amenities I'll never consider using during the few hours I'll be there (and asleep for half of them).
Will have lounge access in the morning so an extra breakfast there!

Tried an Ibis once in Hull as it was £19 for the night and was perfectly functional.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:26 am

What's the Travelodge near T5 like? Says it's 0.3 miles away but I'm sure that's as the crow flies and not walkable. Coming in at around £57 for the night so far cheaper than most places.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:01 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
What's the Travelodge near T5 like? Says it's 0.3 miles away but I'm sure that's as the crow flies and not walkable. Coming in at around £57 for the night so far cheaper than most places.
It's basic, but we found it clean and serviceable for an overnight stay.
It's located on an industrial estate, so not the prettiest location, there's a car park for £5 overnight, a Hoppa bus stop is there but we got a cab to T5, around £15 in February. To walk it means walking alongside major roads leading to T5 and across a very busy roundabout - not to be recommended.

It does food but we walked into the village (Colnbrook?) and found The Ostrich, good food although a little pricey for what is essentially a village pub.

In short, if you just want a bed for the night then it's ok and for £57, a bit of a bargain for an airport hotel.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If none of the codes or F&F rates are working for you then I would just Priceline for a 3 or 4 star LHR hotel.

We paid about £60 for the Marriott and the Skyline Sheraton for a midweek night. Nothing wrong with the Travelodge I have stayed in a few myself and found them okay but I wouldn't pay £59 for one.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Another vote for Priceline, but I would do 4* only.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If none of the codes or F&F rates are working for you then I would just Priceline for a 3 or 4 star LHR hotel.
I'm not sure if I would like to go for 3 star - you could end up in a single room at HI Ariel 4 star is fairly safe though.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Mum and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express T5 in Late May. It was clean, comfortable and for an extra 10 pounds you get a choice of extras including free wifi, late checkout or movie and a meal. Very quiet, despite the fact there is building work going on. Friendly front desk staff and on both Hoppa routes.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Sheraton Heathrow is a very short car ride from T5 (typical cost £6) and is passable for an overnight stay.
...or a free, 5-10 minute bus ride on public transport, IRC.

Can't recall if OP is a plat w/ Starwood, but if so, their club lounge is open 24/7. Your inbound arrives too late for evening appetizers, but the've got tea, coffee, sodas and juices and nibbles (cookies, pretzels, fruits, etc) out all night.

Have stayed there the night before morning flights from T-5 w/o a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.