Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2011 Holy Grail: lets get the cabin temperature down!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

Ok, I have had enough. After yet another uncomfortably hot flight in F (or J or Y: it does not matter) and after being given another runaround I want BA to do something about those ridiculous cabin temperatures. I am confident that one cabin crew told me the truth once: "we set it so high because it gets cold by the doors and that is where we sit.". This was proven on my last flight because the temperature went up after the service was complete (e.g. when they went to their seats) and went down again when service started. It is clearly adjusted for their benefit, not ours.

I have sent the following complaint to BA and I suggest we all do this every time this happens. Maybe something will change.

Dear Sir/Madam,

This complaint is not just about the recent flight I took but about all recent long haul flights i took. I can accept that the service is on a decline due to budget cuts. I can handle the below par food and wine, even in F, but what drives me crazy every single time is the cabin temperature.

I have complained to the purser or CSD on all my recent flights and I get the runaround every single time. I have been told that "it is company policy to have the cabin at 24C". If that is so, I would like to receive a copy of that regulation so I can stop complaining. I have also been told "that a 747 is impossible to cool down" which is nonsense, to put it politely.

Only once - during the strike - did a member of the crew reveal the real reason. They (the crew) sit by the doors where it is colder so they crank up the heat to be comfortable themselves... Now that is a reason that sounds believable.

Unfortunately it means that a large part of the service in F (nice comfortable bedding etc) has become useless because it is too hot. Sleep is neigh impossible. I have checked my perception with fellow travelers (both on this flight and elsewhere) and they all agree. My mother with whom I was traveling could not sleep because of the heat and developed a splitting headache.

I suggest you type in the words "British Airways cabin temperature complaint" in Google and have a nice read. Please make it a policy to lower the temperature to 20C or less during the night. That is the recommended temperature for sleeping. People who are cold can always use (extra) blankets. Us normal people can only strip naked. I am sure that won't be appreciated.

Have a very good 2011. I hope it will be one with less problems than 2010.

Cheers,
Henk

Last edited by henkybaby; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:45 am
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:00 am

The usual excuses trotted out are that "the a/c isn't working properly", "the captain controls the temperature" and "the plane is old - it's Willie Walsh's fault for cutting budgets" or "we turned it down but the plane recalibrates to a higher temperature automatically".

All these are nonsense.

I suggest you first have a face to face discussion with the normal cabin crew serving you, and note their name.

If there's no change in 5 minutes, walk directly to the CSD station under the stairs on a 747 (not sure where it is on a 777, maybe by the forward door?), ask if [name] cabin crew asked them to reduce the temperature.

If not voice your displeasure and ask the CSD to reduce the temperature to 21 degrees, which is a comfortable sleeping temperature.

Watch them change the system and double check the selected temperature.

If the temperature still doesn't reduce, go back and check the CSD's control panel is still as he/she set it and if it has been changed back, then raise merry hell.

It is not acceptable to be cooked and have a poor night's sleep, and it's time something was done about it.

Passengers who are chilly can easily don socks, jumpers and blankets; there is no such similar option for those who are too warm..

I only heat my home to 19 degrees even in deepest winter, and this excess heat is unacceptable.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have done all you suggest. To the point of taking the CSD to the panel and watching him reluctantly change it to 22. When I came back half an hour later it was at 24 again and he was 'busy' so could not speak to me again.

That's why I'm saying: help me complain!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
and compare with Lufthansa F where I said it was too hot and the crew simply said 'what temperature would you like?'

'20 please' I responded and so it was made. No fuss nothing.

Nice night's sleep had by all. (And this was over several flights and aircraft types - so it is possible.)
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
and compare with Lufthansa F where I said it was too hot and the crew simply said 'what temperature would you like?'
I have had similar experiences on JL (even in J!), QF and MX. I know it can be done. In fact, I know it can be done on BA since once (only once!) a good CSD actually turned the temperature down and she even came back to check if it was alright. This was way back in 2007 I believe. Maybe it was Pucci, arguably the only CSD out there who understands customers....
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

'20 please' I responded and so it was made. No fuss nothing.

Nice night's sleep had by all. (And this was over several flights and aircraft types - so it is possible.)
I had a similar experience in F on BA last Easter returning from LAX. I asked the Purser if the temp could be turned down a bit after the dinner service, she asked to what level and returned to my seat 10 minutes later to ensure everything was OK. It has to be said she was a superb Purser.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:25 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I heard a few years ago from a good friend who was long-haul crew member that the temp is turned up after meal because it is a factor that helps people go to sleep. So meal + wine + warmth = sleep and the CC workload goes down and they can take a break for a few hours with minimal calls from pax for drinks etc

I have also requested on a few occasions to have the cabin temp turned down and was also told the "it's company policy" line - but have never been told the temperature in this so called "policy" is 24C That is ludicrously high - my central heating is set to 15C overnight and that sometimes feels too warm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Henkybaby - I fully agree with you on this. I have just completed a return trip to BKK on QF (on a 747-400) in F and one point where I think they were better than BA was that it was possible to control the air flow from your seat. Later this week I am of to HKG on BA in F and returning a few weeks later with CX and I will post a mini trip report giving my views of the F product from all 3, cabin temp will definitely be included.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Can the temperature be controlled in separate cabins/areas of the BA longhaul fleet?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:38 am

JonWB, yes, the temprerature can be altered for each cabin separately.

I hear your pain, everyone. I'm mortified that crew increase the temperature for their own benefit. That is unacceptable. The long haul flights I do are on the B777, and the temps in F, CW and WT+ are usually set to 20-21c. That would be too cold for me personally, but the customers seem happy with that. It's set a little bit higher in WT, usually 23c. This temp is adjusted if customers aren't happy with it.

Before you say anything about what your thermostats are set to at home, the settings described above are not "real" temperatures. An aircraft thermostat isn't quite as a home one and the real temps will feel like at least 3c below what the setting is. I don't know why that is, sorry.

The reason the WT cabin is set higher than the others is due to the chill factor, nothing else. It seems to be colder than further forward. I will talk to my engineering buddies to find out what the story is.

On shorthaul, it's more tricky to get the temperature right. There are two heating outlets on the 737 (as an example), and the controls are in the flight deck. I do pester the pilots to try to get it right though

Now, if we could just convince everyone who travels to bring a jumper/coat/blanket/pyjamas etc, it would make everyone's lives much easier. It still amazes me the amount of people we get onboard in shorts and t-shirts who then complain about the cold. But that's a different topic.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Baconroll
Now, if we could just convince everyone who travels to bring a jumper/coat/blanket/pyjamas etc, it would make everyone's lives much easier. It still amazes me the amount of people we get onboard in shorts and t-shirts who then complain about the cold. But that's a different topic.
In my observation as soon as the PAX board, men take their jackets off and women ask for a blanket! People!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have sent the following complaint to BA and I suggest we all do this every time this happens. Maybe something will change.
I'm in, the slow cooking sensation on flights is ruining the whole purpose of premium, i.e to sleep. Complaining enmasse is a good way to drive change. The other very visbile measure within BA is the onboard customer survey forms, they are taken quite seriously.

Incidentially my last F and J outings (Nov) were both fine, which made a real difference (over 6 hours sleep on both flights).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Baconroll
The reason the WT cabin is set higher than the others is due to the chill factor, nothing else. It seems to be colder than further forward.
I thought it might have been due to thinner blankets in WT

I always carry a pashmina with me just in case. This is a habit I acquired when I used to do a lot of flying in economy/WT/WT+ exit rows where it was a bit chilly because of the door.

However, on almost all long haul nowadays (admittedly generally not in WT/WT+ etc), the problem is the opposite - it's too hot and thus while I would promptly feel drowsy, it's too hot to get decent sleep.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by OPebble
In my observation as soon as the PAX board, men take their jackets off and women ask for a blanket! People!
I generally use the blankets for decency rather than warmth - just in case my legs in skirt pat a bit when/if I go to sleep - it would be an awfully slovenly look. Probably not such a concern for ladies in trousers though.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I usually travel in a shirt with a t-shirt underneath, and with a lightweight jacket in my carry-on as a weather precaution. I have never needed the jacket, which does suggest that the J cabin is pretty warm.

That said, I'm a very warm-blooded individual and don't really feel cold until things get down below 5c. Anyone for a Pimms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.