Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rerouted on another carrier, claiming TPs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:17 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Rerouted on another carrier, claiming TPs?

I was scheduled to fly from NYC back to Chicago a few days ago, but with the NYC weather my AA flight was cancelled. I was rebooked on Jetblue () by AA which updated my PNR stating that it was a invol rebooking due to cancelled flight.
Is there any way I can claim the TPs for the original booking?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contact the EC and explain. They will be able to retro credit after checking with AA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Contact the EC and explain. They will be able to retro credit after checking with AA.
Sounds good. I will email them a copy of the BP, the original ticket and also the voucher which they transfered me over.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I encountered weather related disruption involving AA earlier this year. Unfortunately, no original mileage credit was granted. Nicci kindly stepped in to help but alas she was unable to persuade AA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I encountered weather related disruption involving AA earlier this year. Unfortunately, no original mileage credit was granted. Nicci kindly stepped in to help but alas she was unable to persuade AA.
I had the agent put into the PNR that I should get original routing credit. hopefully that might help.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:49 am

Until last year, I always had the impression that you can always get original routing credit, but in fact I learned that getting it depends not on BA's own policy, but on a policy by the carrier from which you were re-routed (in your case AA).

I learned this after it took nearly five months to get an answer on my credit for a flight I had booked on JAL, which got re-routed to Mexicana due to a disruption of JAL's services (Narita was closed down for a day, so no planes were getting out - I was already in MEX, so I opted for a MX flight around the same time; the ticket was owned by LAN, who was happy to re-route me without hesitation when I rang them up).

After many hand-offs to BA's "Travel History" department to investigate my claim, I finally received the answer below:

Originally Posted by Your Response from British Airways Executive Club
If you are involuntarily re-routed by us onto another carrier, and your original flight would have qualified for BA Miles and Tier Points, we will credit you with the appropriate BA Miles and Tier Points as per your original flight.

If you are involuntarily re-routed by one of our partner airlines onto another carrier, and your original flight would have qualified for BA Miles and Tier Points, credit of your original flight is at the discretion of the individual partner.

As it is JAL's policy not to award miles in these circumstances you are only entitled to earn BA Miles for your flown flight.
As this was before MX joined oneworld, that decision lost me the 120 Tier points, but at least as it was after they had made a partnership with BA, I did get the flight miles. Hopefully AA's policy will be to credit you (via BA) with the miles as you had booked, but indeed it is something eventually up to AA, not BA - and may take some prodding of BA on your part before you have a definitive answer.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.