FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How early to get to LCY? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1152863-how-early-get-lcy.html)

funkyr Nov 25, 2010 10:45 am

How early to get to LCY?

Hi all,

I'm flying LCY-AMS (flight departs at 830) and was wondering how early should I get to LCY? I've heard as it's a small quick turn over airport you dont need to get there like 2 hours ahead.

Thanks!

BA_Blade Nov 25, 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by funkyr (Post 15282884)
Hi all,

I'm flying LCY-AMS (flight departs at 830) and was wondering how early should I get to LCY? I've heard as it's a small quick turn over airport you dont need to get there like 2 hours ahead.

Thanks!

You certainly don't need 2 hours. I usually try and arrive 40 minutes before a flight at LCY as I hate rushing and that usually gives me enough time for a coffee in depatures. I would say the minimum you should allow for is 15 minutes to clear security and get to the gate.

Land-of-Miles Nov 25, 2010 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BA_Blade (Post 15283103)
You certainly don't need 2 hours. I usually try and arrive 40 minutes before a flight at LCY as I hate rushing and that usually gives me enough time for a coffee in depatures. I would say the minimum you should allow for is 15 minutes to clear security and get to the gate.

This is what I normally try to allow too. On a good day you can get away with less time but I would be reluctant to take the risk by choice (rather than traffic delays etc.).

LCY8737 Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm

I managed 12 minutes from arrival at the airport to the planes departure - but I wouldn't recommend it (felt pretty sweaty and got a few nasty stares for jumping the queue security). 30 minutes are enough for LCY, but considering that traffic might be an issue I would give it some more time depending on your way to the airport.

IAMORGAN Nov 25, 2010 12:41 pm

With luggage, I'd advise you to aim for one hour. With hand luggage only, I'd aim for 40 minutes before. You'll probably have loads of time, but you never do know.

jerry a. laska Nov 25, 2010 2:27 pm

See also this thread for some recent experiences:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...errible-4.html

Kgmm77 Nov 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 15285126)
See also this thread for some recent experiences:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...errible-4.html

all bar the last few posts [fingers crossed] relate to a historical problem that hasn't raised itself in the last 40 sectors I've flown.

Fruitcake Nov 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Does the same apply to the JFK flight?

Kgmm77 Nov 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Does the same apply to the JFK flight?

The New York gate needs a bit more time to get to....allow an extra 30secs.

Fruitcake Nov 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 15286398)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The New York gate needs a bit more time to get to....allow an extra 30secs.

Thanks! I will. :D:D^

KenJohn Nov 27, 2010 9:49 am

Checking bag at LCY for the JFK flight is a unique experience in the UK. It is a service very much like CX F at HKG but not quiet SQ F service at SIN.

You never make it to the check-in desk inside even though there is a dedicated check in desk for the flight.

jerry a. laska Nov 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 15285176)
all bar the last few posts [fingers crossed] relate to a historical problem that hasn't raised itself in the last 40 sectors I've flown.

I wasn't pointing out the thread to say there would be a problem (the thread is unfortunately named), I was pointing out the thread for the recent experiences (the last year or more) that there are no problems at LCY and one doesn't need to arrive particularly early.

Stewie Mac Nov 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 15307406)
...the thread is unfortunately named...

As the OP of the referenced thread, I resemble that remark.... :p At the time the thread was started, the queues were terrible. Much better now though. Well done LCY's (and now LGW's) owners.

jerry a. laska Nov 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 15308962)
As the OP of the referenced thread, I resemble that remark.... :p At the time the thread was started, the queues were terrible. Much better now though. Well done LCY's (and now LGW's) owners.

Sorry about that! Considering how it has become a general question/current experiences thread for LCY, when one links to it does sort of predispose people to think the worse when the current operation is much better.

BA5211A Nov 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Just please pop a tranquiliser before you leave for the airport. The security staff are the rudest, most draconian & seem to delight in belittling crew. I watched them tear apart a FO. I mentioned it to him just afterwards & w/typical British understatement he just brushed it off w/a smile. Being an American, I just wanted to take them out back & tie them to an APU.