How early to get to LCY?

Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
How early to get to LCY?

Hi all,

I'm flying LCY-AMS (flight departs at 830) and was wondering how early should I get to LCY? I've heard as it's a small quick turn over airport you dont need to get there like 2 hours ahead.

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Originally Posted by funkyr
Hi all,

I'm flying LCY-AMS (flight departs at 830) and was wondering how early should I get to LCY? I've heard as it's a small quick turn over airport you dont need to get there like 2 hours ahead.

Thanks!
You certainly don't need 2 hours. I usually try and arrive 40 minutes before a flight at LCY as I hate rushing and that usually gives me enough time for a coffee in depatures. I would say the minimum you should allow for is 15 minutes to clear security and get to the gate.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BA_Blade
You certainly don't need 2 hours. I usually try and arrive 40 minutes before a flight at LCY as I hate rushing and that usually gives me enough time for a coffee in depatures. I would say the minimum you should allow for is 15 minutes to clear security and get to the gate.
This is what I normally try to allow too. On a good day you can get away with less time but I would be reluctant to take the risk by choice (rather than traffic delays etc.).
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I managed 12 minutes from arrival at the airport to the planes departure - but I wouldn't recommend it (felt pretty sweaty and got a few nasty stares for jumping the queue security). 30 minutes are enough for LCY, but considering that traffic might be an issue I would give it some more time depending on your way to the airport.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
With luggage, I'd advise you to aim for one hour. With hand luggage only, I'd aim for 40 minutes before. You'll probably have loads of time, but you never do know.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also this thread for some recent experiences:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...errible-4.html
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
See also this thread for some recent experiences:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...errible-4.html
all bar the last few posts [fingers crossed] relate to a historical problem that hasn't raised itself in the last 40 sectors I've flown.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does the same apply to the JFK flight?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Does the same apply to the JFK flight?
The New York gate needs a bit more time to get to....allow an extra 30secs.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The New York gate needs a bit more time to get to....allow an extra 30secs.
Thanks! I will. ^
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Checking bag at LCY for the JFK flight is a unique experience in the UK. It is a service very much like CX F at HKG but not quiet SQ F service at SIN.

You never make it to the check-in desk inside even though there is a dedicated check in desk for the flight.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
all bar the last few posts [fingers crossed] relate to a historical problem that hasn't raised itself in the last 40 sectors I've flown.
I wasn't pointing out the thread to say there would be a problem (the thread is unfortunately named), I was pointing out the thread for the recent experiences (the last year or more) that there are no problems at LCY and one doesn't need to arrive particularly early.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:01 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
...the thread is unfortunately named...
As the OP of the referenced thread, I resemble that remark.... At the time the thread was started, the queues were terrible. Much better now though. Well done LCY's (and now LGW's) owners.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
As the OP of the referenced thread, I resemble that remark.... At the time the thread was started, the queues were terrible. Much better now though. Well done LCY's (and now LGW's) owners.
Sorry about that! Considering how it has become a general question/current experiences thread for LCY, when one links to it does sort of predispose people to think the worse when the current operation is much better.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:08 pm

Just please pop a tranquiliser before you leave for the airport. The security staff are the rudest, most draconian & seem to delight in belittling crew. I watched them tear apart a FO. I mentioned it to him just afterwards & w/typical British understatement he just brushed it off w/a smile. Being an American, I just wanted to take them out back & tie them to an APU.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.