Search

BA Miles on Codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL + CCR), Star* G, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
BA Miles on Codeshare flights

Hi,
I am looking at booking a ticket to Oz and considering BA and QF.

I understand if I book a CW ticket operated by BA I will get 50% cabin bonus and 100% Silver bonus in addition to the base miles.

When I fly Qantas on a QF flight I understand from the table on ba.com that the cabin bonus is 25% and the same goes for the Silver bonus.

What if book a flight with a BA prefix which actually is operated by QF. Will I then get the higher BA bonuses or the lower QF ones?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book any codeshare flight using the BA flight code, you will get the cabin bonus and status bonus for BA flights.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:46 am

whY (lowest):
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, nil cabin bonus, 60 TPs
QF - 25% base miles , 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , nil cabin bonus, 30 TPs

whY (full):
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, nil cabin bonus, 110 TPs
QF - 100% base miles, 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , nil cabin bonus, 110 TPs

WT+:
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, 25% cabin bonus, 135 TPs
QF - 100% base miles, 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , 10% cabin bonus , 135 TPs

Club:
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, 50% cabin bonus; 200 TPs
QF - 100% base miles, 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , 25% cabin bonus ; 220 TPs

First:
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, 100% cabin bonus, 330 TPs
QF - 100% base miles, 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , 50% cabin bonus , 330 TPs

Whilst I understand the differential on "pure" Qantas flights, I am at a loss (literally...) why the differential on joint business routes; unless I've missed something, BA and QF still share revenues etc on those routes so it makes no difference to BA's income whether I'm ticketed through QF or BA, so why now the gulf in BA miles/tier point earning rates? Pre the 1 Oct changes, I'm pretty sure I used to get exactly the same tier points and BA miles whether I flew a QF or BA flight number when travelling LHR-[SIN/BKK]-SYD, now there is a very material difference. Grr!

Last edited by mile higher; Oct 17, 2010 at 5:55 am Reason: expanded earnings table to include all cabins
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mile higher
whY (lowest):
BA - 100% base miles, 100% silver/gold bonus, nil cabin bonus, 60 TPs
QF - 25% base miles , 25% silver (50% gold) bonus , nil cabin bonus, 30 TPs
This page suggests that it should be 60 TPs whether on the BA code or the QF code. Footnote 4 says "Discounted economy classes are eligible for 50% tier point accrual."

It's not what the calculator says, but I am not convinced that either the calculator or the rest of ba.com is fully up-to-date even now.
Originally Posted by mile higher
Whilst I understand the differential on "pure" Qantas flights, I am at a loss (literally...) why the differential on joint business routes; unless I've missed something, BA and QF still share revenues etc on those routes so it makes no difference to BA's income whether I'm ticketed through QF or BA, so why now the gulf in BA miles/tier point earning rates? Pre the 1 Oct changes, I'm pretty sure I used to get exactly the same tier points and BA miles whether I flew a QF or BA flight number when travelling LHR-[SIN/BKK]-SYD, now there is a very material difference.
I agree that this is something that BA really needs to work on. QF is doing a better job of making sure that the JSA routes earn the same whether you book the BA code or the QF code. For example, it decided to maintain 100% discount economy earning for BA codes on those routes, in order to match the earn on QF codes.

But I think that there have always been some differences. For example, earning BA Miles for QF PE only gives a 10% cabin bonus, probably linked to the fact that that's all that QF gives for both BA WT+ and QF PE. But IIRC earning BA Miles for BA WT+ has always been a 25% cabin bonus.

And there have been complex positions about each airline's four sector rule whether in the BA scheme or the QF scheme.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
I flew BHX - DUS booked under BA but operated by flybe. I got 500 miles each way but now Tier Bonus (I am a SCH). I rang the lovely people in Bremen but they as its a code share no bonus! Is this correct - I'm sure as it a BA flight number I booked under I get the miles. Opinions please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.