Wiki Posts
Search

Romantic Weekend Break!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Prague is great, although I'd consider Budapest as well - lots of nice spa treatments to be had! I like the Hotel Gellért.

If you want to avoid pickpockets I'd give Rome a miss - my sister lives there and it is pretty notorious! However, you can't beat the historic centre, and it is a very pedestrian friendly place (ie you don't need a car, but watch our for the mad Roman drivers!).

Vienna (where my wife's family comes from) isn't my cup of tea either - can be bitterly cold and, in my opinion, not that much to do compared to some of the other cities you mentioned.

I recall seeing in The Times over the weekend a speical offer of "free" CE upgrades when you buy the flight/hotel through their partner - don't know how great a deal it is and, despite a quick search, I can't find the link... (sorry - took too long to type this - see Redsox had a very similar offer to the Times one!!).
Nice one LondonAndy i think i am still very keen on prague so thanks what is the currency there is it Czech or have they moved to the euro now?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Nice one LondonAndy i think i am still very keen on prague so thanks what is the currency there is it Czech or have they moved to the euro now?
Its still Czech Koruna where £1 = CZK 25.28.
Hotels may quote prices in Euros rather than CZK.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you do go for Prague or Budapest, look at the Luxury Hotels board and search for 'Virtuoso'. A Virtuoso travel agent can you book you the Four Seasons on a special package which includes free breakfast, a lunch credit and an upgrade at check-in subject to availability. The rate will be the same as the cheapest room-only rate on the Four Seasons website.

(This applies to any FS globally, by the way. I always book our FS Hampshire trips this way.)
That sounds awesome Raffles Nice 1
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Its still Czech Koruna where £1 = CZK 25.28.
Hotels may quote prices in EUR
Thanks KenJohn
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would forget about Russia....paying out that sort of cash for a visa just for a weekend is ridiculous.
If I were you I would head for Spain or Athens....more chance of getting a bit of decent weather. You need the sun for romance.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would forget about Russia....paying out that sort of cash for a visa just for a weekend is ridiculous.
If I were you I would head for Spain or Athens....more chance of getting a bit of decent weather. You need the sun for romance.
Hi Hiddy

Spain would of been my first choice but we have just come back from a ten day holiday in Marbella, so hoping to find a nice place somewhere else for this weekend break!

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:11 am

+1 for Rome.

Or try IST if timing permits...very vibrant city.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze FWIW
I wouldn't bother with Nice, as others have already said, it's really not that great out of season.

Prague is definitely lovely, walkable and romantic. Was last there nearly 10 years ago though, and I do hear that it's turned into stag central since, which isn't great.

Pickpockets: all major towns have them, you're just as likely to be a victim of this on Oxford St as pretty much any other capital city.

Have you thought of Lyon? Second biggest city in France, lots of awesome restaurants, good shopping and not full of tourists. Picturesque old town, not too big and very safe. Great luxury boutique hotel, La Cour des Loges: http://www.courdesloges.com/index.php?page=loges

Whatever you do, I am sure your girlfriend will love it.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I really liked PRG when I went so could completely understand you going there - shame you'll be too early for the Christmas market though!

But in the interests of exploring options, what about MUC? While not as romantic as PRG, it still has a very pretty old town (way better than FRA), lots of old streets to ramble around, gateaux to eat etc, and easy to get away into Bavaria.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: BA
Istanbul, Venice, Rome or the most glaringly obvious that no one has mentioned ... the ultimate 'romantic weekend' cliche, Paris!

Surprised at all the Prague recommendations, I'm not a fan.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You need the sun for romance.
I think snow is better. I suggest a trip to the Alps/Rockies in Jan/Feb ...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Zamoyska
I suggest a trip to the Alps/Rockies in Jan/Feb ...
With your wife, not me ... just to be clear
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:04 am
uk1
Suspended

I suspect that you've already made up your mind ..... but how about Lucca for a weekend via Pisa?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mand
Have you thought of Lyon? Second biggest city in France, lots of awesome restaurants, good shopping and not full of tourists. Picturesque old town, not too big and very safe.
If you really want a romantic weekend in Lyon, try Chateau de Bagnols if you like a bit of medival charm. It is a bit outside Lyons but is great. We had our wedding dinner/night there. There should be lovely great big fireplace in the winter and they can arrange tours of the vineyards or Lyons during the day.

Top Class food.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Berlin and Lisbon are also excellent options (dirt cheap hotels, fascinating places) but neither are BA routes, I think.
BA certainly flies to TXL from T5 (5 flights a day). I would cast my vote for Barlcelona. Great food and there are lots of nice towns along the coast to the north and south of the city.

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Don't go to PRG, it's crowded, tacky and full of Germans (am I allowed to say that?)
Yes.

Edit: Just saw that you looking for an alternative to Spain....

How about Istanbul, then?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Prague was originall top of my list but now with all these other nice sounding places its moving down the list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.