Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TOT: can i spend a Jersey £5 in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
TOT: can i spend a Jersey £5 in UK?

Realised i had one of these in my wallet, probably going to be even more difficult to shift than a Scottish clydesdale bank note!

Last edited by globalste; Oct 1, 2010 at 10:29 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes, you can.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: BA gold
Great, I have a Jersey penny I discovered in my foreign-currency Whisky bottle, I'll be able to use that when I go to the shops
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
You can probably spend it but it's not legal tender (in the UK).
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
It may not be so simple. I found this about legal tender, which is of course not the same as custom and practice:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes are not legal tender anywhere, and Jersey, Guernsey and Manx banknotes are only legal tender in their respective jurisdictions. The fact that these banknotes are not legal tender in the UK does not however mean that they are illegal under English law, and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose. Traders may, on the other hand, choose not to accept banknotes as payment as contract law across the United Kingdom allows parties not to engage in a transaction at the point of payment if they choose not to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot...f_legal_tender

... so it seems that you may find a trader, perhaps one who also takes Scottish or Irish notes. Or how about spending it in Scotland? They would understand.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
From experience, most shops don't accept it (Guernsey ones even less so!) but you can easily pay it into your bank account.

I do have a Jersey £1 left over from my summer hols there, but keep it in my wallet - the cow watermark makes me smile!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
It might be difficult, but you should be able to. Try larger merchants/chains and you might have better luck. I still have an IOM 20 I'm trying to pawn off....
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Worst comes to worst, take it to your bank (or any owned by the taxpayer) and get it exchanged.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The forex bureau at LGW has been happy to swap them in the past without any charge.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Sold to James wine bar at northern exit of citythameslink for a glass of red wine (not mine)
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: KL Platinum
Had no problems offloading my Jersey notes at a theatre in the West End.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I always assumed it would be easy but Jersey £ are not marked as Sterling so the few places I tried said no. Even my bank ,Nationwide, refused to take it. The duty manager explained it needed to have 'sterling' on the note to be considered.

However the duty manager tipped me off to just swap it at any travel money shop style shop. Sure enough I rocked upto a travelex at the airport and the dudes swapped it to a Sterling £ note with no fee or charge... "cheers" ^

Next time I TP run into Jersey, it'll be card payments all the way.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:07 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by BugAlugs
I always assumed it would be easy but Jersey £ are not marked as Sterling so the few places I tried said no. Even my bank ,Nationwide, refused to take it. The duty manager explained it needed to have 'sterling' on the note to be considered.
What does this mean? Where do English banknotes have 'sterling' on the note?

By the way, this was previously discussed here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.