Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Mrs P just got targeted by Plat, got a nice glossy brochure through the post with a unique RSVP code.

50,000 MR points for £2k spend in 3 months
£250 Harvey Nichols voucher
First year 1/2 price £225

Apply by 7th November (just around the time my CX gold will expire )

Strangely the brochure doesn't mention Hilton or CX.

What do we think? go for it?

(Honestly I don't think I could stop her if I tried, she has wanted a Plat for ages after seeing me wave mine around )
thats basically free money! awesome deal!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by rtidrtid
thats basically free money! awesome deal!
It's in my diary to do on 1st November
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I would expect your Cathay Gold to be renewed ....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Is it tomorrow yet?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If my Mrs gets a whiff of a £250 Harvey Nicks voucher she will be all over it as well!

Unlikely, though, given her BA and SPG cards.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
If my Mrs gets a whiff of a £250 Harvey Nicks voucher she will be all over it as well!

Unlikely, though, given her BA and SPG cards.
Mrs P has a BAPP already.

Interestingly, on the postal signup form where you can put the details for an additional card holder it says, and I quote "You can choose any friend of family member, over 18 years old, to share the benefits of Membership with a complimentary Supplementary card" so I would expect my CX and Hilton to be renewed on that basis anyway.

Nothing in the supp card part of the T+C says differently.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Mrs P just got targeted by Plat, got a nice glossy brochure through the post with a unique RSVP code.
What other Amex cards has she got or had previously?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 21H21J
What other Amex cards has she got or had previously?
Just the BAPP and LTSBPDA, she still has both.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Just the BAPP and LTSBPDA, she still has both.
So never had a plat card? Or MR card? Hmmmm - her is hoping my wife gets one of these too.... Looking for an excuse to cancel mine, but want the card still for insurances (yes, I still value them, more fool me!)
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
So never had a plat card? Or MR card? Hmmmm - her is hoping my wife gets one of these too.... Looking for an excuse to cancel mine, but want the card still for insurances (yes, I still value them, more fool me!)
Yes, I was kicking myself for not signing her up for a Gold last month but not so much now
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:42 pm

50,000 MR points for £2k spend in 3 months
£250 Harvey Nichols voucher
First year 1/2 price £225

Apply by 7th November (just around the time my CX gold will expire )

Strangely the brochure doesn't mention Hilton or CX.

What do we think? go for it?

(Honestly I don't think I could stop her if I tried, she has wanted a Plat for ages after seeing me wave mine around )
That's really interesting, I just received what looks like the exact same letter/brochure and everything is the same as above except no Harvey Nichols voucher is mentioned.

Where in the letter was this mentioned for your wife?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It may be a test - half get the HN offer, half don't - then compare results and see if the voucher is worth the cost.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsallaboutmark
That's really interesting, I just received what looks like the exact same letter/brochure and everything is the same as above except no Harvey Nichols voucher is mentioned.

Where in the letter was this mentioned for your wife?
On the covering letter, right at the start.....

Oh, I just noticed, it's addressed to her maiden name
I hope the unique RSVP code still works!

I might sign her up right now actually incase there is a problem requiring us to make phone calls etc, I really don't want to miss out of this offer, especially the 1/2 price fee.

Join Platinum
And pick up a £250 Harvey Nichols voucher on us

Dear Ms MrsPanGalactic'sMaidenName,

It's not often you are offered complimentary tickets to a national sporting event from Ticketmaster or £250 to spend at Harvey Nichols. But maybe that's because there aren't any cards quite like the Platinum from American Express.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Update: Panic over, you actually need to enter the code at http://www.americanexpress.co.uk/platinumcard then when it gets to "How would you like the name to appear on the card?" it gives you the option to change first name, last name and initial, she can even change to Mr. It looks like this offer might actually work for anyone! Although I guess it will only work once since it's a unique code.
I'm going to continue and sign her up right now anyway and just hold off requesting the CX card for a while incase mine isn't renewed.

Update 2: got all the way to the end of the application, even requested a 2nd card for biz expenses and a supp card then it said....

Sorry, the American Express online application is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Click Here to return to the American Express UK Home Page. Thank you and we apologise for any inconvenience.
BLEH!

Last edited by PanGalactic; Sep 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
It may be a test - half get the HN offer, half don't - then compare results and see if the voucher is worth the cost.
Possibly, either way doesn't make me feel great about an offer I was 80% sure about taking up. That HN voucher would get me some brownie points from the Mrs!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:57 pm

On the covering letter, right at the start.....

Oh, I just noticed, it's addressed to her maiden name
I hope the unique RSVP code still works!

I might sign her up right now actually incase there is a problem requiring us to make phone calls etc, I really don't want to miss out of this offer, especially the 1/2 price fee.
Ahhh I think I'm starting to understand, mine say's:

"Join Platinum....and pick up a return flight to New York on us"

I have a feeling they mean with points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.