Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lgw - mco club world next year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Padmeister
right Hedwig i have looked up Anaheim on google and it looks fantastic lots to do and more grown up and the mrs gets disney

Just got to convince the mrs now i am normally well in so shouldn't be to much trouble
Do bear in mind that Disney World in Florida is far bigger than Disneyland in Anaheim, and is a complete resort with different parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, etc) with lots of hotels on site, shopping, dining and nightlife (Disney Marketplace) and transportation for those staying on site.

Disneyland basically consists of the Magic Kingdom and the California Adventure Park, though of course there are hotels, dining options, etc.

They are two entirely different settings offering different levels of entertainment. You'd be best taking the time to look and study both websites to see which will suit you best before jumping in feet first.

Have you ever driven in the US before? If not it might be an idea to take that into consideration as there will be a lot more driving on considerably busier roads in LA than there will in Orlando. Both places have lots going for them but you need to decide what you really want from the holiday.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Do bear in mind that Disney World in Florida is far bigger than Disneyland in Anaheim, and is a complete resort with different parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, etc) with lots of hotels on site, shopping, dining and nightlife (Disney Marketplace) and transportation for those staying on site.

Disneyland basically consists of the Magic Kingdom and the California Adventure Park, though of course there are hotels, dining options, etc.

They are two entirely different settings offering different levels of entertainment. You'd be best taking the time to look and study both websites to see which will suit you best before jumping in feet first.

Have you ever driven in the US before? If not it might be an idea to take that into consideration as there will be a lot more driving on considerably busier roads in LA than there will in Orlando. Both places have lots going for them but you need to decide what you really want from the holiday.
hi again srg

thank you for all your comments its definately something i need to seriously consider, i have spoke to mrs padmeister and she is fine with considering Anaheim, I have never drove in the US before and probably wont anyway i dont usually driver when we go abroad but there is always a first time
thanks so much srg for your time and comments in this matter.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
hi again srg

thank you for all your comments its definately something i need to seriously consider, i have spoke to mrs padmeister and she is fine with considering Anaheim, I have never drove in the US before and probably wont anyway i dont usually driver when we go abroad but there is always a first time
thanks so much srg for your time and comments in this matter.
Happy to help.

However, if you've never driven in the US you should be aware that the car is king and public transport is very poor in comparison to ours. Everyone (or just about everyone) drives in the US. If you're really not going to drive (and you will miss a lot by not doing so) you should check that your hotel has a good tour desk with concierge who will help you get the best tour bus or taxi to get you there.

I find driving in the US very easy - even without a sat nav (which I've never used, do it the old way with a map) but appreciate it can be daunting for someone who's never done it. You might want to read the thread just started - Driving in LA
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
The statistic that I've heard used to describe the difference between Anaheim and the WDW development in Orlando is this: In area, the whole of Disneyland Anaheim would fit in Animal Kingdom's car park with room to spare.
I have never drove in the US before and probably wont anyway i dont usually driver when we go abroad but there is always a first time
Although it's been a while since I was last there, my impression of Orlando and WDW is that if you're not driving your own car, you will be very constrained in what you can do.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I do not have a car and going to orlando for 2 weeks.

My plan is;
Taxi from airport
3 nights at Doubletree@ Universal studios for Universal/Islands of Adventure
Taxi to Doubletree Intl plaza on I drive for Seaworld ( 2 nights)
taxi to Disney Wilderness lodge for 2 nights then disney transport to Polynesialn resort for 5 nights then limo back to airport.

Once at Disney I will use disney transport.

There is the I-drive trolley bus going up and down I drive.

It is possible to enjoy orlando without a car but if you wanted to go other places apart from the theme parks/I drive then a car is almost essential.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I do not have a car and going to orlando for 2 weeks.

My plan is;
Taxi from airport
3 nights at Doubletree@ Universal studios for Universal/Islands of Adventure
Taxi to Doubletree Intl plaza on I drive for Seaworld ( 2 nights)
taxi to Disney Wilderness lodge for 2 nights then disney transport to Polynesialn resort for 5 nights then limo back to airport.

Once at Disney I will use disney transport.

There is the I-drive trolley bus going up and down I drive.

It is possible to enjoy orlando without a car but if you wanted to go other places apart from the theme parks/I drive then a car is almost essential.

Regards

TBS
Normally on holiday if mrs p and i cant get there on foot we go by taxi and always get to our destination one way or the other but i am now considering hiring a car while were there even if we only end up hiring one for a few days out of our 2 week holiday there

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions and advice!

with the variety of entertainment on offer, waterparks, theme parks, zoos and god knows how much other stuff to do and places to go while in california google has come in quite usefull for looking at things to do and keep us busy during our 2 week stay
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
If hiring a car, definitely get sat nav. It will prove extremely useful.

I think there's a lot to be said for not hiring a car on your first visit to WDW, Florida, as once in WDW there are many transportation options and they're mostly free. One can relax completely letting someone else take the strain.

WDW is a beautiful destination and it seems like the size of a big city, so apart from the planned trails, it's definitely not a walking destination, but having said that, the area around Epcot and the studios is walkable on purpose built walkways.

On our first visit we stayed off-site, then bought a timeshare just off-site, so we have never stayed on Disney property. but have often thought that staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Resort might be fantastic, if like us, you like nature.

Try this link for some very useful information.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
There are enough queues for the various attractions at Disney. To add queue/waiting for Disney transport buses to and from the parks would be one queue to many for me.

Disney transport is very good but at peak times (for example, park opening) the queues are long.

Disney World is its own private county so the roads are very wide and traffic is usually good. Disneyland outside LA is built between two highways so expect long queues of cars getting into the park area. It is also a relatively long drive from the West Hollywood area where the nicer hotels are.

Do I like Disney? Spent Christmas week at Disney World immediately followed by New Year week on a Disney cruise a couple of years ago. So I guess the answer is yes.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Depending on where you stay , you can walk to one of the theme parks

Contemporary: Walk to Magic kingdom
Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk , Swan & Dolphin ( these two are spg properties): Walk to Epcot; 15-20 min walk to Disney Hollywood studios

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Depending on where you stay , you can walk to one of the theme parks

Contemporary: Walk to Magic kingdom
Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk , Swan & Dolphin ( these two are spg properties): Walk to Epcot; 15-20 min walk to Disney Hollywood studios

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS and thanks to everyone else who has helped i have alot to think about now

P
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hi,
There is also www.allears.net

and www.disboards.com

for everything you wanted to know ( and stuff you probably did not want to know) about WDW and Disneyland

(disboards is the FT equivalent of everything disney IMHO)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:17 pm
Suspended

hi,
There is also www.allears.net

and www.disboards.com

for everything you wanted to know ( and stuff you probably did not want to know) about WDW and Disneyland

(disboards is the FT equivalent of everything disney IMHO)

Regards

TBS
Take it you're a fan then!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:34 pm

Also, look at http://www.thedibb.co.uk - bit more of a british view

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.