Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UD Seating now available for all to purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UD Seating now available for all to purchase

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But as many people have noticed the disappearance of the bassinet notation, I have moved to 64A.
And mingle with £80 pesky preseaters? No, thank you very much Sir. I stay up in the front (62K) where the cool breeze and calm haven will let me sleep in peace
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby
+1. Don't appreciate this one bit. Another devaluation of status.
Ditto. Sheesh.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by The Saint
Before we get too carried away , it may not be as bad as people think. It appears that those without status can only choose from 64AB and 63JK. Presumably, once those are taken, non-status pax will be out of luck on the UD until OLCI.

If that is correct, is that policy really that bad?
Ask the pax in 64K who chose (what used to be until today) that prized seat months ago and who will now be completely enveloped!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lobengula
And mingle with £80 pesky preseaters? No, thank you very much Sir. I stay up in the front (62K) where the cool breeze and calm haven will let me sleep in peace
Ah, but context is everything. Some pesky status holders have already taken 62K, 64K and 62A! So my choices seemed to be 63J or 64A, but the latter was unavailable (and subject to bassinet) until today.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I have just made a CW booking and was amazed to see that there were real live seats available on the UD - at a price....

Having paid for the flights in hard cash.... there is no way I can justify another £160 to bag the seats however nice they are.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Oh FFS. That should reduce my UD seating average still further. P1ss awful decision.
+1 and I'm only blue.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Ah, but context is everything. Some pesky status holders have already taken 62K, 64K and 62A! So my choices seemed to be 63J or 64A, but the latter was unavailable (and subject to bassinet) until today.
Haha, let me correct you. "some pesky Eurobased WT+ MFU status holders"

I have a love hate relationship with BA seating policy. I wonder if they have similar heated debates (regarding seating policy) in other airline forums? I'm now off to check
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Just checked and my next flight from BOS is showing this but with 60B (as well as the entire 64 row) showing as available to purchase.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:59 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
And having recently flown on a clapped-out 777 recently, I forget how much the UD really does matter to me.

Bad move, Slasher.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA have obviously browsed this forum and saw just how popular the upper deck is. Spotted the opportunity to earn extra revenue so have made this decision.
Given that most Golds..."BA's premium passengers" are travelling on negotiated corporate fares anyway it won't matter how much bawling and shouting you do to be honest. I doubt if your company will take their business elsewhere just because you inform them that from now on you'll have to sit beside the common people.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AGSF
There are so few benefits of being Silver/ Gold left. As I see it, a Silver/ Gold who travels CW gets only a couple of real benefits:

1) Free seat selection (but no longer exclusive access to the UD)
2) 25/50% miles bonus -- will this become increasingly irrelevant once it becomes harder to get seats when the billions of AA miles start looking for BA seats?
3) access to the F lounge as a Gold, and the only place it is really better is LHR.
4) Other things like GUF2, Silver companion, etc.-- all requiring more flying than most of us do.

Loyalty used to be rewarded a lot more than it is now.
... but how many of us travel exclusively CW? I find the lounge access for me and a guest for (for example) domestic and European flights pretty handy. Not great news, but not the end of the world....
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by AGSF
There are so few benefits of being Silver/ Gold left. As I see it, a Silver/ Gold who travels CW gets only a couple of real benefits:

1) Free seat selection (but no longer exclusive access to the UD)
2) 25/50% miles bonus -- will this become increasingly irrelevant once it becomes harder to get seats when the billions of AA miles start looking for BA seats?
3) access to the F lounge as a Gold, and the only place it is really better is LHR.
4) Other things like GUF2, Silver companion, etc.-- all requiring more flying than most of us do.

Loyalty used to be rewarded a lot more than it is now.
I've also been asking myself recently why I'd bother trying to retain Gold and decided that I wouldn't so an up-coming TATL will be done on *A. The seating policy has alienated me for years and I agree with others that the concept of any CW pax having to pay for a seat assignment is just ridiculous. The BA product is still decent enough but having recently done a fair amount of l/h on other carriers there are other products out there (even some of the US legacies) that are also very decent without a lot of the nonsense that goes with BA.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
As a Gold, it actually doesn't bother me if non-status pax can pay to select upper deck. In fact, I think they should be able to - this is business class we're talking about after all.

I still think that all business class pax should be able to select their seats (whether main or upper deck) for free, as most will have paid a significant sum for the privilege of business class anyway.

It stands to reason that BA should reserve some seats in each cabin for status pax only, (eg. Row 62 on the 744), and I would support this, but this change in policy doesn't really concern me at all.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards
I think this is excellent news. As has just been said, pax travelling in CW should be able to pre select a seat at no charge.

However this is the next best thing. I'm not saying all UD seats should be available to non-status pax, but a reasonable proportion, yes.

gaz
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
this change in policy doesn't really concern me at all.
Concern meaning to be effected by, or concern meaning to care about?

For CW passengers paying high prices for last minute tickets this change in policy reduces yet further their seating options, whilst those of us lucky enough to book in advance and take advantage of sale fares get the pick of the bunch. Are BA now actively seeking to discourage J rather than (like me) I passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.