Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to LHR CW which option to choose....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver
JFK to LHR CW which option to choose....

Hello all

I am a long time lurker, but rarely post. I have learnt so much over the past few years on FT and now I have a dilemma that I would appreciate some advice from all of the regular travellers.

In a few weeks I am travelling from JFK to LHR in CW. I have the option of getting BA174, BA176 (Sleeper Service) or BA002 to LCY.

My dilemma is which to choose.

The following day I am working, so I am after getting some sleep, but it is a fairly relaxed working day! I also like to enjoy the CW offering, as I travel CW less often than I would like.

Both BA174 and 176 are 744's so that is an advantage due to the Upper Deck.

My default option would be BA174, as I have never been on a sleeper service, my concern is that I may miss the full service, but I assume there is still a few drinks runs!

I would love to try the CW LCY service, but from the trip reports I have read, the real benefit appears to be doing the route LCY to JFK due to pre-clearing US immigration at Shannon. Does the landing at Shannon interrupt sleep and mean you get less.

So as you can see, I am having trouble deciding, so would appreciate the advice of others.

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
Choices

IMHO, first question to answer is where in London you're headed. If you're going to the city, LCY is a great option. Otherwise, my personal preference is definitely the 747 upper deck which I consider a top Business Class experience.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

just spotted the obvious error in the title - I am travelling JFK to LHR!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I am heading to the West End, so not a lot in it I don't think
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi dgreen678,

The JFK-LCY flight does not stop at Shannon ( only the LCY-JFK flight does)

At LHR you can use the arrivals lounge to freshen up and have breakfast. Whilst LCY odes not have an arrivals lounge oyu can use the Marriott to freshen up ( involves getting a car/minibus ( not sure what BA provides) to the hotel than back to LCY for the DLR train

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm Reason: Correcting the arrivals lounge
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi dgreen678,

The JFK-LCY flight does not stop at Shannon ( only the LCY-JFK flight does)

At LHR you can use the revivals lounge to freshen up and have breakfast. Whilst LCY odes not have an arrivals lounge oyu can use the Marriott to freshen up ( involves getting a car/minibus ( not sure what BA provides) to the hotel than back to LCY for the DLR train

Regards

TBS
TBS get back to your land of Virgin - our arrivals lounge is the "arrivals lounge".
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by andset1191
TBS get back to your land of Virgin - our arrivals lounge is the "arrivals lounge".
Hi,

Ooops!

Sorry!

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
Hi,

Ooops!

Sorry!

Regards

TBS
Not trying to be confrontational, as I realise you're a mod and are very helpful around the place. But it really bugs me how for every post, you start with "hi" and end with "Regards, TBS". With signatures we can see who it is, and the letter style is just superfluous for an IBB.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:14 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by flatbedfan
Not trying to be confrontational, as I realise you're a mod and are very helpful around the place. But it really bugs me how for every post, you start with "hi" and end with "Regards, TBS". With signatures we can see who it is, and the letter style is just superfluous for an IBB.
I rather like TBS's style! He comes across as one of the friendliest regulars on this board.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
There have been so many threads debating the very same thing in the past few weeks (one just a couple of days ago).
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Miles&More, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by GLA
I rather like TBS's style! He comes across as one of the friendliest regulars on this board.
^
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold/ Hilton Gold/ SPG Gold/ PriorityClub Platinum /Marriot Gold/ Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flatbedfan
Hi,

what a very odd and unnecessary post and criticism. TBS do as you please

Regards

gcollett
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:44 am

I would stick with CW to LHR, pref on a 747.

Primarily because the UD is lovely, the Arrivals facilties at LHR are far superior, and you are not in a special rush to get into the West End.

The direct, non-stop JFK-LCY would win for speed to the West End, though, as almost guarantees no holding and baggage collection is super-fast.

The ideal is to take a day flight JFK (or EWR)-LHR, and although you lose the Arrivals lounge facility if using these services as you get in too late, you probably wouldn't need them anyway. I think those are both 777 services.

But, having said that, if you haven't tried the CWLCY service it might still be fun to do so..even though the LCY-JFK leg with the Shannon stopover is the more "interesting" leg to fly from an FT perspective
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by oscietra
The direct, non-stop JFK-LCY would win for speed to the West End, though, as almost guarantees no holding and baggage collection is super-fast.
Barely. I live in the "West End", in fact at the East End of the West End (Covent Garden). I can get home door-door from T5 in about 50 minutes just using the underground. A car may be quicker at certain times of day. A taxi from LCY would't be much faster than that and public transport from LCY is far too much hassle (too many changes). And I've never had an issue waiting for bags at T5.

The ideal is to take a day flight JFK (or EWR)-LHR,
Each to his own. They'd be my absolutely last choice.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
At LHR you can use the arrivals lounge to freshen up and have breakfast. Whilst LCY odes not have an arrivals lounge oyu can use the Marriott to freshen up ( involves getting a car/minibus ( not sure what BA provides) to the hotel than back to LCY for the DLR train
Why would you go back to LCY for the DLR? West India Quay station is very close to the Marriott and is only one stop away from Canary Wharf (or you could walk it) or direct to Bank in a few stops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.