Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Good Bye... Take Care..." - Odd?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by origin
I do still find that some people say Good Morning, but its is decresing a lot at the moment.

I also noticed when staying in hotels in the UK. Previous years the staff were happier and friendlier and would smile, good morning etc. Now with the tough recession I just think people are really unhappy. The hotels I have stayed in seem a little depressed now. I know that its difficult to remain happy when there are so many problems.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that people from the UK think politeness is on the decline there. My family and I just got back from a month in England and we were thrilled with how incredibly kind everyone was to us.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom139
Not to be confused with "Goodbye c u next tuesday!"
^

As PG said, unfortunately in the South of England it's getting to be a rare commodity. Like thanking someone when a driver on the opposite side of the road lets them through. That seems to have largely died a death now.
Oh, I don't know, it happened to me about three times today in the deepest south of England. And vice versa. Let's not get despondent.

Thank you and goodnight!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FenLandK
But wouldn't the answer just be "Scorchio!"??
At the moment it's muy frío....Got down to -3c last night and it's to be even colder tonight.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I think it's a nice touch and something that I like to hear especially if it's been a really good flight. Being welcomed on board is also something that I really appreciate, I guess it's the little touches that make it better to fly BA.

BBB and Flygirl68 I think it's great that you still go the extra mile. ^
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by FenLandK
I always thank the crew members that I see on my way out of the aircraft with a "Thank You" and a smile.

Politeness costs nothing. As PG said, unfortunately in the South of England it's getting to be a rare commodity. Like thanking someone when a driver on the opposite side of the road lets them through. That seems to have largely died a death now.
By referring to "Southern England" would you be meaning London and Suburbs? Here on the Sussex Coast "Good Morning" "Take Care", "See you later" and "Thank You" are still very common. We even all thank the driver of the bus around these parts!
Anyway, Mrs Albion and I always say thanks to BA's finest and usually along the lines of "Thanks for taking care of us. It was a really nice flight" as long as it has been and usually is.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: Mixed Fleet CSM
If you are Gold/Silver, flying around Europe and have been "Welcomed back on board" recently that was probably me!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Albion
By referring to "Southern England" would you be meaning London and Suburbs? Here on the Sussex Coast "Good Morning" "Take Care", "See you later" and "Thank You" are still very common. We even all thank the driver of the bus around these parts!
Anyway, Mrs Albion and I always say thanks to BA's finest and usually along the lines of "Thanks for taking care of us. It was a really nice flight" as long as it has been and usually is.
It happens most to me in Slough (where I work from time to time).

I'm still of the old school. Bus drivers and the like get a "cheers" from me on leaving, but that's just my northern roots...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by tom139
Not to be confused with "Goodbye c u next tuesday!"
Yes thanks for explaining the joke there
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:30 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
I appreciate little personal touches such as when on landing the crew member making the announcement goes "On behalf of Captain XXXXX and the entire cabin crew, welcome to ....."

On a fair few occasions I heard "On behalf of the captain and the cabin crew, welcome to .....". Just not the same impact. Still not as bad as on some american carriers where they simply play a recorded generic announcement ^

It is always refreshing to have cabin crew who appear genuinely enthusiastic about the job, rather than "its a living..already been there done it" type.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
Yes thanks for explaining the joke there
?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by pb3
I appreciate little personal touches such as when on landing the crew member making the announcement goes "On behalf of Captain XXXXX and the entire cabin crew, welcome to ....."

On a fair few occasions I heard "On behalf of the captain and the cabin crew, welcome to .....".
Poor first officers always get forgotten
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Poor first officers always get forgotten
On our last LH into LHR, I had the opportunity at Reclaim to ask our BA FO who's landing it was ... it turned out it was his. I was delighted to able to tell him [with the Captain in earshot, with his long hair and 1,000 mission hat ] that it was probably the smoothest 744 'arrival' I've ever experienced. [OMG, don't pilots look young these days?]

As to the CC, I had the pleasure [during the last strikes] to be able to say to the CC "Thank you for flying BA" At least it made a change for them ... I could imagine saying "Hello, welcome ... etc" to 250+ pax must get staggeringly boring [and likewise on the "Goodbye, thank you for managing to fly BA" bit].

But the reality is, surely, that we are ALL human beings and should treat each other [and indeed all other sentient animals] with courtesy?

Unlike our neighbour, who at the moment has his spaniel pegged out in the field in the blazing sunshine with no shelter whatsoever, and only a water-bowl for company]
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:51 pm

..........As a West Country man, I would say "Goodbye" but never "Take Care!"

I had never heard the expression "Take Care!" until I came to London and, to me, it sounded so insincere and patronising that I have never used it! Neither do I call anyone "Mate!", "Darlin', "Guv'nor!" "Sir or Ma'am" (unless I know the person holds a commission or warrant in their nation's armed or emergency services).

If someone has been taken ill and being carted away in the ambulance, or if I have walked them to the aeroplane and am saying goodbye to them, I might squeeze a frail hand and say "Take good care of yourself!" but if I do, then I mean it with all my heart!

I was always brought up to believe that unless you are sincere, it is better to keep schtum!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I got a "Cheerio" tonight at ABZ!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by stu1985
I got a "Cheerio" tonight at ABZ!
Now, that's a proper West Country expression!

Proper Job, Young 'Un! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.