Search

Gatwick Terraces - 1 floor or 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:20 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Gatwick Terraces - 1 floor or 2 ?

I've just read a couple of rather uncomplimentary user reviews on the web that stated that around 50% of the Gatwick Terraces lounge had been "closed" and that it occupies only one floor. The reveiews did not indicate whether the floor closure was temporary due to refurbs or permanent.

The reviews were in early January 2010. Admittedly it has been a while since I have used the Gatwick Terraces.

I've done a search of the forum but can't seem to find any pertinent threads other than one way way back in 2005

I'd appreciate if any recent lounge users could advise on the current state of play.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It's the entry-level floor (actually the 3rd floor) which has closed and the upper floor (the 4th floor) has been refurbished quite nicely in fact. The ex-smoking / ex-kids room has been demolished and a much smaller kids room put in its place at the opposite end of the lounge.

Generally quite a nice place to be..

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Jul 7, 2010 at 12:11 pm Reason: Correction on which floors are which... thanks to one of our favourite FT'ers for the tip!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Blue
The 1st floor has been closed permanently, and the 2nd floor part expanded slightly. I wouldn't quite go as far and say it's been refurbished, but it has been spruced up, some new furniture, more computers, and everything mentioned above.

I believe once the strikes are over, and BA are in profit, they will upgrade/refurbish the lounge into a Galleries concept. 2012 at the earliest.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Can anyone explain why BA closed the floor which is on the entry level to the lounge pavilion and kept open the one you have to access by lift or stairs?

Apart from being a bit less convenient and quick, it used to look good seeing the BA lounge straight in front as you walked in.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Dunno - but the other week when I was using it - there was only 1 lift working and it was so painfully slow that I gave up and used the stairs....
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Dunno - but the other week when I was using it - there was only 1 lift working and it was so painfully slow that I gave up and used the stairs....
That's it - it's a money saving scheme! Saves on freebies in the lounge for those who can't get there. But is the higher floor cheaper to rent or something?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Can anyone explain why BA closed the floor which is on the entry level to the lounge pavilion and kept open the one you have to access by lift or stairs?
It's because the First lounge is on the same level, sharing the kitchen etc.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:21 am

I'm guessing there were a number of reasons for keeping the top floor:
- The First Lounge is up there, so saved having to move that
- It was the larger of the two Terraces floors, so maybe made more sense from capacity perspective
- Shared shower suites between First and Terraces saves on manpower
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
It's because the First lounge is on the same level, sharing the kitchen etc.
I don't think the kitchen is shared though - if memory serves correctly, the First Lounge is catered from a small broom cupboard kitchen off the corridor to the showers/loos, whereas the Terraces side is served from a separate (larger) kitchen on the other side.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:16 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

A few pictures of the level 4 Terraces here http://www.andav.co.uk/andset1191_Tr...10_Verona.html.

Towards the end of the TR.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
what has LGW done with the space previously occupied by the other floor ?

it wouldnt surprise me to see BA use it again when (if) the much talked about longhaul expansion starts at LGW ?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It was just boarded off at the entry level ( tastefully) .... - nothing to see but clearly still there just waiting for something to happen as the Level 4 lounge had an inter floor staircase closed off too.... the notice said something about closed for refurbishment
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can remember when there was a BA lounge downstairs on level 2. Getting old.

The new shrunk F lounge has lost a certain something in ambience. Nice new chairs though!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:53 pm
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by andset1191
A few pictures of the level 4 Terraces here http://www.andav.co.uk/andset1191_Tr...10_Verona.html.

Towards the end of the TR.
Thanks for the link - lovely TR by the way. Thanks also to all of you who have replied so far. The "refurbished" Terraces lounge certainly looks quite nice even if it is somewhat smaller in area.

I've redeemed some of my miles in the recently ended premium sale to book a Barbados trip. I could have done F both ways but after much thought decided to book J outbound and use my Silver status to choose my favourite seat in the 3 class 777 ^. I absolutely love the smaller J cabins and AVOD in this variant.

Sadly my Silver status comes to an end shortly. Back to the lowly rank of Blue I go
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: East Enders, Corie and Emmerdale'
Another LGW thread and still no sunrisegirl?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.