Search

LHR-CUN?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:31 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
LHR-CUN?

This post on TripAdvisor got my attention this morning.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Cancun??? Wow, I never thought that BA would fly there, at least nonstop! Maybe via MEX but direct to CUN?

And, also, from LHR? *If* I would have ever thought that a LON-CUN route would be announced, I would have been 10000% sure that it would have been from LGW.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:44 am

Yawn, let us know if you see LHR - HNL instead
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
If you guys end up taking advantage of this, don't settle for Cancun (unless you want to party with drunken college-aged kids). Head a bit further south to Playa del Carmen - a wonderful resort town that's a little more laid-back! ^
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Yawn, let us know if you see LHR - HNL instead
Is LHR-HNL even possible??
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by BA6501
Is LHR-HNL even possible??
yes.....prob between 12 & 13k mi.....
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I suppose with the introduction of the mixed flying fleet at LHR, the crew costs would be substantially reduced for a trip like this as it does not trigger additional payments based on flight time.

So, this could indicate the first additional "New Fleet" route, in addition to the ones already identified by the company as to be operated by crew under the new agreements.

Will be interesting. At least you know it will be on a 772/3 then... So no getting excited about upper deck seating!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7237 mi
Actually yes that should be doable nonstop...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Have heard this will be a LGW route, which fits into the l/h leisure routes of LGW. Guess we'll have to wait and see tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
There have been rumours for a while that BA is to launch a LGW-CUN service.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwalsh
If you guys end up taking advantage of this, don't settle for Cancun (unless you want to party with drunken college-aged kids). Head a bit further south to Playa del Carmen - a wonderful resort town that's a little more laid-back! ^
Or head even further south to Tulum. Lovely place. Cozumel was great for diving but the volume of cruise ship passengers every day was rather overwhelming.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
As far as I know, HNL would be a 'long and thin' route - my guess is this will be a route that would be launched when the 787s arrive, which is maybe a more 'right-sized' aircraft. BA already has an idea of LON-HNL demand through the codeshare with AA out of LAX - I would imagine if a 777 made sense on the direct, BA could use one of the stored 747s to release a 777 from another route.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Just on the point of leisure routes for BA... I do wonder, and I know it would mean tie-ing up specific frames, if BA would ever move to a 2 class long haul offering. Once the new WT+ and WT are online, if some 777 frames would be embedded with just them, specifically for very low business routes...

Just me pondering...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Just on the point of leisure routes for BA... I do wonder, and I know it would mean tie-ing up specific frames, if BA would ever move to a 2 class long haul offering. Once the new WT+ and WT are online, if some 777 frames would be embedded with just them, specifically for very low business routes...

Just me pondering...
There was a rumour that VS were considering something similar with the 787 ex LGW. I guess the answer is - are BA's costs low enough to support it without the premium yield from Club?

At least they wouldn't get many FT'ers cluttering up the plane with redemptions.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really doubt it, especially on longer flights. MLE for example. Maybe smaller CW cabin and no F but I doubt Y and W only flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.