Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to JFK T7 in the rush hour

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Try taking the cab up to the subsequent express station if it makes you feel any better about using it for such a short distance...or just cab it to Penn Station!

If you are familiar with NJ Transit or PATH to Hoboken, then you'll find the Jamaica interchange a doddle, though I agree - some of the subway train connections suggested sound confusing (I only bother using it for Express N-S journeys as it is quicker than a cab).

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/lirrmap.htm

White dots are express stations / interchanges. Bolded line numbers on the pdf version are express lines. Took me ages to decode it...!

Last edited by Lucifer UK; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:58 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)
Originally Posted by linenbasket
Get the A train from 14th st station (14thst/8th ave), which takes you (express) all the way to howard beach where you switch to the (rip off) airtrain.

Dont take an E or C train- thats local. The A is faster.

Or as above, get the LIRR from Penn and switch to the airtrain at jamaica...

Id subway it personally- all depends if you can deal with your luggage or not.
But if you take the A Train then you will bump into me..... and its packed at rushhour

E is local in Manhattan but express in Queens.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
The block North is easy. The block East is quite far.
Right. Penn Station by taxi, then LIRR to Jamaica for AirTrain, in that case, IMO.

E is local in Manhattan but express in Queens.
Except late nights and some weekends...we sound like Mornington Crescent here...

What is your analyst up to - get them to research it!

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
So...you get off at Sutphin Blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutphin...rk_City_Subway)

Indicates it's ADA (DDA basically) compliant so there is a lift to the main (street) level. You then follow the signs to the AirTrain...it's a 2 min walk to another part of the complex (basically you go under the main LIRR station which is elevated) and another escalator/lift up to the AirTrain platforms. The AirTrain is basically a monorail that takes about 10 minutes to get to JFK, and it visits a couple of parking garages and T2/3, T4, T5/6 and then T7.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GaryD
Right, and the F train runs along the same route as well from 50 St and 6 Ave.

The E runs from downtown on 8 Ave while the F runs from downtown on 6 Ave. Choose whichever is closer.

(Either is probably faster and more pleasant than the A to Howard Beach.)
The F doesn't go to Sutphin though - it branches off to a different route a couple of stations earlier.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:00 pm

If you fancy a scenic subway ride to the Jamaica change from 8th ave / 14th st then jump on the L and change at Broadway Junction to J or Z

Plus, the block your referring to isnt that big TBH, probably 3 / 4 mins max... well it takes me that long during the walk to Chelsea Piers
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:01 pm

Penn is a horrible station IMO - the building above it on the other hand is great !

"How about those Knicks"
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Except late nights and some weekends...we sound like Mornington Crescent here...

What is your analyst up to - get them to research it!
I never venture into Queens past sundown....
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Come to think about it, I did have to lug a heavy suitcase plus hand luggage to Penn Station (7th and 32nd [sic]) from a friend's apartment at 6th and 27th last July 2nd because there simply were no taxis - as frequently happens in New York mid-afternoon if it's raining, which it was. I didn't like it, but I survived. But I did feel it made something of a mockery of the BA First Class tag hanging off the suitcase (as per comments above). The walk from the Pines Ferry to our house at the other end of the journey, in the sun, although almost the same distance felt just fine and dandy though.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:04 pm

Penn is a horrible station IMO - the building above it on the other hand is great !
But it is easy to follow signs to the LIRR (around the fast food stands...)

First time I did it, I walked 50 yards to the platforms from the A train and bought a ticket outside the Subway store. Easy connection.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:06 pm

I was at Penn Stn last spring for the early trains out to Bethpage for the US Open - not a pretty sight... lets hope they go through with the plans to demolish it and use the old Post Office building on 9th Ave
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:06 pm

Another thing worth remembering (especially if it's raining) is that IIRC the taxis change over shifts in Manhattan at 4pm which means they all disappear for a bit. Which can make getting the 1930 flight interesting...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
So how do I get from Sutphin to Jamaica? Is that yet another train?

None of this sounds as easy as: get on the Piccadilly Line, get off the Piccadilly Line, walk two minutes, open front door.

Thanks again anyway.
You don't, you just change at Sutphin on to the Airtrain, and that's really easy - lifts and a couple of minutes walk with no stairs or anything.

At the Manhattan end, I'd second the suggestion of taking a cab - ask the driver if he'll be happy to take you one block north and one block east (IME most of them won't object - easy money for a couple of minutes), and if not, ask him to take you to the next E station up the line.

Bear in mind that 4-5pm is a terrible time for finding a yellow cab, or at least it was when I was regularly in NYC two or three years ago. It seemed to be when the drivers changed shifts and almost all the cabs were "off duty". So you may end up dragging your case the couple of blocks anyway. I suppose it also depends on the weather.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:08 pm

Come to think about it, I did have to lug a heavy suitcase plus hand luggage to Penn Station (7th and 32nd [sic]) from a friend's apartment at 6th and 27th last July 2nd because there simply were no taxis - as frequently happens in New York mid-afternoon if it's raining, which it was. I didn't like it, but I survived. But I did feel it made something of a mockery of the BA First Class tag hanging off the suitcase (as per comments above). The walk from the Pines Ferry to our house at the other end of the journey, in the sun, although almost the same distance felt just fine and dandy though.
Thats the time the cabs change shift - getting a cab between 4pm and 6pm is a nightmare...

EDIT - beat me to it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.