LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

Old Feb 23, 10, 1:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,140
LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

APPARENTLY, BA is discussing the possibility of switching 777 to 744 in summer...^

This would be ridiculously good!^^^
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,545
Hi,

Woohoo!!^

( now if there was only a bit more CW availability)

Thanks for that Abstract1!^

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
APPARENTLY, BA is discussing
Sounds great! How did you hear? Is it to be believed?
bmi Gold is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:27 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,140
Originally Posted by bmi Gold View Post
Sounds great! How did you hear? Is it to be believed?
well it came from a senior crew member....but who knows...i really do hope they are thinking about it. it would be brilliant to have an F cabin.
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Posts: 2,956
Two reward seats in F please - I asked first!
johnaalex is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 2:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West London & 8th Arrondissement
Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Posts: 1,983
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
APPARENTLY, BA is discussing the possibility of switching 777 to 744 in summer...^

This would be ridiculously good!^^^
As a premier can you not tell them to do this
dnajockey is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 2:35 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Posts: 445
when is anticipated change likely to take place?

as long as its before August 2011 - i'm happy
ukswift88 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 3:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Varies
Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Posts: 404
Nearly full outbound tomorrow

We're on the outbound BA275 tomorrow (24 Feb), which is now showing as J3, W1, Y0. So maybe not surprising they're looking at switching to a 747 when demand increases further later in the year.

Funny thing is, availability was showing as something like J3, W3, Y9 until today, so looks like there was a rush of last-minute bookings. I find that rather surprising on a (presumably) leisure-dominant route like LAS, but what do I know?

We're in WT+ (nabbed 12K and 12J as soon as they freed up at T-72) but more than happy to move one row forward if required...
larryflyer is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 5:44 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 212
This is fantastic news. The service seems to be doing very well, and when I look is always busy. Summer will be a busy period so think it deserves a 744.
TREKSTER1006 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 10, 10:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SAN
Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 4,058
Originally Posted by larryflyer View Post
Funny thing is, availability was showing as something like J3, W3, Y9 until today, so looks like there was a rush of last-minute bookings. I find that rather surprising on a (presumably) leisure-dominant route like LAS, but what do I know?
It could very well be due to allowing overbooking - a few days before the flight the system may decide that it is now more likely that all pax will actually turn up, and reduce (over-)availability.
frankvb is offline  
Old Feb 24, 10, 3:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Programs: DL DM, US CP
Posts: 237
This seems completely harebrained to me...I don't understand why BA would increase capacity in the summer to Vegas. While it is true that most destinations in the US see increased traffic in the summer months, summer is definitely Vegas's slow season. When temperatures are regularly in the mid-high 100's and often are in the 110's, Vegas is not a very fun place to be in the summer. It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
chasgoose is offline  
Old Feb 24, 10, 3:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London & NYC
Programs: BA
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
Exactly. Though I don't quite understand why anyone would want to go to Vegas in winter, spring, summer or fall ... it has about as much class as Dubai.
Zamoyska is offline  
Old Feb 24, 10, 3:58 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,968
A selfish from me. 747 removed from routes I use (BOM, BLR, DEL) and add it to a route I have no intention of ever using!
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Feb 24, 10, 4:30 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,015
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
A selfish from me. 747 removed from routes I use (BOM, BLR, DEL) and add it to a route I have no intention of ever using!
Ha ha ha...

The whole reason I am flying back from SFO, and doing a domestic return in the US is to fly on the 747, would have been tempted to fly direct back if it had been 747... but no way 777...

BBB
BingBongBoy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 10, 4:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,747
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
This seems completely harebrained to me...I don't understand why BA would increase capacity in the summer to Vegas. While it is true that most destinations in the US see increased traffic in the summer months, summer is definitely Vegas's slow season. When temperatures are regularly in the mid-high 100's and often are in the 110's, Vegas is not a very fun place to be in the summer. It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
It's simply the case that the peak period for discretionary leisure travel in the UK is July and August, to co-incide with the main school holidays.

There may be less scorching times to visit Nevada, but parents simply don't have that flexibility. The convention programme is year-round in Vegas too. If BA have the equipment and they perceive demand, then it would appear commercially astute to make hay while the sun burns.
continentalclub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: