Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

APPARENTLY, BA is discussing the possibility of switching 777 to 744 in summer...^

This would be ridiculously good!^^^
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Woohoo!!^

( now if there was only a bit more CW availability)

Thanks for that Abstract1!^

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Abstract1
APPARENTLY, BA is discussing
Sounds great! How did you hear? Is it to be believed?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmi Gold
Sounds great! How did you hear? Is it to be believed?
well it came from a senior crew member....but who knows...i really do hope they are thinking about it. it would be brilliant to have an F cabin.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Two reward seats in F please - I asked first!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Abstract1
APPARENTLY, BA is discussing the possibility of switching 777 to 744 in summer...^

This would be ridiculously good!^^^
As a premier can you not tell them to do this
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
when is anticipated change likely to take place?

as long as its before August 2011 - i'm happy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Nearly full outbound tomorrow

We're on the outbound BA275 tomorrow (24 Feb), which is now showing as J3, W1, Y0. So maybe not surprising they're looking at switching to a 747 when demand increases further later in the year.

Funny thing is, availability was showing as something like J3, W3, Y9 until today, so looks like there was a rush of last-minute bookings. I find that rather surprising on a (presumably) leisure-dominant route like LAS, but what do I know?

We're in WT+ (nabbed 12K and 12J as soon as they freed up at T-72) but more than happy to move one row forward if required...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:44 pm

This is fantastic news. The service seems to be doing very well, and when I look is always busy. Summer will be a busy period so think it deserves a 744.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by larryflyer
Funny thing is, availability was showing as something like J3, W3, Y9 until today, so looks like there was a rush of last-minute bookings. I find that rather surprising on a (presumably) leisure-dominant route like LAS, but what do I know?
It could very well be due to allowing overbooking - a few days before the flight the system may decide that it is now more likely that all pax will actually turn up, and reduce (over-)availability.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
This seems completely harebrained to me...I don't understand why BA would increase capacity in the summer to Vegas. While it is true that most destinations in the US see increased traffic in the summer months, summer is definitely Vegas's slow season. When temperatures are regularly in the mid-high 100's and often are in the 110's, Vegas is not a very fun place to be in the summer. It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by chasgoose
It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
Exactly. Though I don't quite understand why anyone would want to go to Vegas in winter, spring, summer or fall ... it has about as much class as Dubai.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A selfish from me. 747 removed from routes I use (BOM, BLR, DEL) and add it to a route I have no intention of ever using!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A selfish from me. 747 removed from routes I use (BOM, BLR, DEL) and add it to a route I have no intention of ever using!
Ha ha ha...

The whole reason I am flying back from SFO, and doing a domestic return in the US is to fly on the 747, would have been tempted to fly direct back if it had been 747... but no way 777...

BBB
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by chasgoose
This seems completely harebrained to me...I don't understand why BA would increase capacity in the summer to Vegas. While it is true that most destinations in the US see increased traffic in the summer months, summer is definitely Vegas's slow season. When temperatures are regularly in the mid-high 100's and often are in the 110's, Vegas is not a very fun place to be in the summer. It would make a lot more sense for the 744 to take over in the winter than the summer.
It's simply the case that the peak period for discretionary leisure travel in the UK is July and August, to co-incide with the main school holidays.

There may be less scorching times to visit Nevada, but parents simply don't have that flexibility. The convention programme is year-round in Vegas too. If BA have the equipment and they perceive demand, then it would appear commercially astute to make hay while the sun burns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.