Search

IFE Switch on Protocol

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
IFE Switch on Protocol

Morning All

What is the protocol for switching on the IFE equipment? Is it country specific?The reason why I ask is that with BA, VS etc it has always been
switched on sometime after take off and off before descent etc.

With QF and more recently EK, I have been allowed to watch a
film straight after the safety demo (and before if you wish) and right along the runway as you're taking off. You can also watch right up until deplaning. Are UK rules more strict or is it just UK carriers not leaving the system on etc?

Thanks

tom139
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
My understanding is that BA (and others) do not switch it on so that should an emergency occur the PAX are concentrating and don't have earphones covering their ears and thus are unable to hear the Flight Deck PA.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Yes, so you are supposed to be paying attention and do not have earphones/headsets on during a "critical phase of flight"... So you can hear me screaming to get your backside off the plane... so to speak.

Obviously QF and EK have a different understanding of what is sensible during such a time. Not all emergencies involve a crash. Something going wrong during taxi, or the initial point of a take off roll, and passengers are not really going to be aware of anything until told, and if they are watching or listening to something, then they will not be listening to instructions given by the crew.

The same reason we tell you to remove headsets and earphones for take off and landing when listening to iPods etc...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:29 am

I only flew long-haul once with BD (MAN - LAS) but I think that the moving map was left switched on all the time (shame not to, really, as it has the nice graphics of the plane leaving and arriving at the gate). Perhaps it is because there was no sound, and the screens were in the bulkhead so nothing to get in the way in case of an evacuation. I have often wondered why BA couldn't do the same with the map on shorthaul flights?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by OPebble
My understanding is that BA (and others) do not switch it on so that should an emergency occur the PAX are concentrating and don't have earphones covering their ears and thus are unable to hear the Flight Deck PA.
Following on from this - I don't know this for certain, but I assume that this is another example of there being no "right" answer (ie there's nothing mandated by the authorities), everything's a balance of risk versus benefits and the airline just has to persuade the CAA (or whoever) that their procedures overall are sufficient and appropriate. BA's assessment is that the benefit of allowing people to finish their films does not outweigh the increased risk posed in an evacuation.

Other airlines assess differently, and may result from different cabin configurations, limitation of the IFE solution (eg whether the screens on stalks at emergency exits get in the way) - and there may be other mitigations that decrease the residual risk that aren't directly related to IFE, eg a consequence of higher crewing levels.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by OPebble
I'm pretty sure the PA overrides the entertainment system so no announcements are missed with the earphones on.

Last edited by James S; Feb 19, 2010 at 5:58 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
On my flight to YVR given the delay on the ground waiting for de-icing the IFE was switched on, then switched off for take off and back on after that. I agree that it should probably be off for TO/Landing as peoples attention should be focused on things other than the IFE.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:22 am
Original Poster

The safety demonstration still states that all video screens must be folded away etc. In First Class however, the screen in the Suites is fixed so I guess you may not be able to watch in some seats. Only First Class get to keep their headsets for landing - the rest have to be handed in before. You could probably still plug in your own earphones though.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by tom139
You could probably still plug in your own earphones though.
I've seen people try and be swiftly rebuked by the CC, at least both in WT & WT+. I think it's a CAA requirement - same policy on FR & EZ from memory. Even if you have your own MP3 player/video player.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by FenLandK
I've seen people try and be swiftly rebuked by the CC, at least both in WT & WT+. I think it's a CAA requirement - same policy on FR & EZ from memory. Even if you have your own MP3 player/video player.
And those NCH should be off anyway as they are an electronic device.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:33 am

The safety demonstration still states that all video screens must be folded away etc. In First Class however, the screen in the Suites is fixed so I guess you may not be able to watch in some seats. Only First Class get to keep their headsets for landing - the rest have to be handed in before. You could probably still plug in your own earphones though.
oh Sorry Tom, but all headphones should be collected b4 landing.. and no headphones/earphones should be worn/used during landing or take-off.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flygirl68
oh Sorry Tom, but all headphones should be collected b4 landing.. and no headphones/earphones should be worn/used during landing or take-off.
Must just be an EK policy then as the prelanding annoucement states that Business and Economy pax should have headsets ready for collection and that First Class passengers should leave them in the vicinity of their seat before leaving the aircraft upon arrival.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:03 pm

Must just be an EK policy then as the prelanding annoucement states that Business and Economy pax should have headsets ready for collection and that First Class passengers should leave them in the vicinity of their seat before leaving the aircraft upon arrival.
Maybe....i wish i knew! I want to be given the job of flying around the world on different airlines, just to see how different/similar things are. That's my dream job, not sure I'll suggest that just yet though!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flygirl68
I want to be given the job of flying around the world on different airlines, just to see how different/similar things are. That's my dream job
Only in J and F of course. You do not want to be trying lots of Y seats.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Pretty certain this is due to the CAA not allowing it. I guess the logic goes something like this:

1. No headphones should be in use during take off or landing so that cabin crew evacuation instructions (which may not be broadcast over the tannoy system) can be heard.

2. No IFE allowed until after takeoff in order to avoid people being tempted to wear headphones.

The authorities in Dubai and Australia obviously take a different view. On recent CX flights I note that the system was not switched on until we had reached cruising altitiude.

For another example of this kind of thing, note the continuing use of plastic knives on board flights to and from Australia, even though most other countries have relented on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.