Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ashley136
Hiya -

I've got to buy a car shortly, and the dealership has a paypal account. I was going to use the Top Up card (until it was withdrawn)

Thanks,
Mark
Surely it is still possible to pay with a Top Up card, just not make a fresh application? I have just successfully topped up my card using my AMEX and expect to pay my Tax bill with it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:15 am

Paypal Top Up has gone completely bonkers.

Yesterday I tried a £1000 transfer. It offered me the choice of Instant Bank or Credit/debit Card so I chose credit card (Amex). It then asked if I was sure I wanted to used a credit card so I said yes, but when it returned to the transfer screen it was back to bank transfer. So I clicked on change again and now only Instant Bank Transfer was available and Credit Card was greyed out. Next I tried a £300 transfer and that went though OK, but when I tried the same thing again today it went down the same route as the £1000.

It seems like the Amex to Paypal route may be coming to an end (for me at least).
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:42 am
k3v

ITs been flakey for months, if it doesnt allow one amoutn, just lower it and try again.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by k3v
ITs been flakey for months, if it doesnt allow one amoutn, just lower it and try again.
Funnily enough I just tried £300 again and it worked.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I did £2k on two cards yesterday, no problem. I've done my £10k for the year on one of them now - pity they have the strange £10k/year limit (what's in it for them, limiting it so).

Unless you need to for some reason, I'd suggest that you do not verify your bank account - then it won't ever present it as an option. Delete it from the system and then add it back in again without verification so you can still use it for withdrawl if necessary. As long as your credit card has been verified, there are no downsides to it that I can see.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by dmahon
I did £2k on two cards yesterday, no problem. I've done my £10k for the year on one of them now - pity they have the strange £10k/year limit (what's in it for them, limiting it so).

Unless you need to for some reason, I'd suggest that you do not verify your bank account - then it won't ever present it as an option. Delete it from the system and then add it back in again without verification so you can still use it for withdrawl if necessary. As long as your credit card has been verified, there are no downsides to it that I can see.
There is a downside. A verified bank account gives you more brownie points with Paypal as regards your 'is he a money launderer?' score which theoretically affects your withdrawal limit from your credit cards. Although it clearly isn't impacting you.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
There is a downside. A verified bank account gives you more brownie points with Paypal as regards your 'is he a money launderer?' score which theoretically affects your withdrawal limit from your credit cards. Although it clearly isn't impacting you.
I think originally you have to verifiy your bank account to lift limits, however after verification i subsequently deleted it as the account was only ever offered as a funding method. Since its removal i have been able to top up by AMEX(the now 'only' funding option) and it appears as if no limits withdrawel limits have been imposed.

...In regards to it playing up, just change the amount or try again the next day. As i have said before it is very fickle, they make us work for it sometimes
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Question A-Level AMEX 2-4-1 Question

Having searched through this great thread and the BA AMEX T&Cs, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer and would be grateful for any advice. I have the BA PP AMEX (and a Gold MR charge card) and I will shortly trigger the 2-4-1 voucher. However, I have recently moved to the UAE and was looking to downgrade to the basic BA card once I had triggered the 2-4-1 (I believe that is entirely possible) to save the annual fee but "keep a foot in the door" with AMEX.

Furthermore, I plan to keep that card dormant if I move my BAEC account to the UAE (there's a pretty good deal with Barclaycard UAE that may be worth exploiting but the T&Cs are very vague and do not mention BAEC account address/domicile status).

Anyway, does my BAEC account have to remain in the UK to be able to use the 2-4-1 voucher? I understand from this thread that I can use ANY UK AMEX (i.e. my Gold MR charge card) for the taxes/fees/charges if/when I burn my 2-4-1 (in order to keep the downgraded BA AMEX dormant).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Work-Shy

Last edited by Work-Shy; Sep 4, 2010 at 11:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Answer is very clear - your BAEC account must be UK-based on the day the voucher is triggered and until you book. After you book you can move it but you should not cancel or change the 2-4-1 flight you have booked.

You cannot use your BA Amex once your BAEC a/c has moved. It has to stay totally dormant, no charges or refunds.

Frankly, I keep everything under a UK address unless you've booked and flown the 2-4-1 flight for safety, whilst leaving the Amex dormant.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, VS
AMEX PP bonus miles

I signed up for the BA AMEX PP card with 18000 bonus miles after first £3000 spend. Can someone tell me when the bonus miles are usually posted after the qualifying spend. Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Valueseeker
I signed up for the BA AMEX PP card with 18000 bonus miles after first £3000 spend. Can someone tell me when the bonus miles are usually posted after the qualifying spend. Thanks.
Mine posted to AMEX online within a day or so of hitting the £3k spend, then got transferred to BAEC on the 4th of the following month.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Valueseeker
Did you have the Blue BA Amex card before signing up for the PP? Is so it is likely that you will not get the bonus, unless the rules have been changed for this promotion.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: BA, VS
Thanks for the replies. This is my first BA AMEX so should be no problems with qualifying for the bonus miles. I will give it a few days and then chase up if necessary.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
This question relates to the Amex Platinum Card.

I didn't receive a welcome pack with my card and so I am slowly going through the benefits etc of the card online. In relation to the Priority Pass, does anyone know if this pass is valid for one year from the date of applying for the Priority Pass or does it last for one year from the Platinum Card start date?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by where2travel
This question relates to the Amex Platinum Card.

I didn't receive a welcome pack with my card and so I am slowly going through the benefits etc of the card online. In relation to the Priority Pass, does anyone know if this pass is valid for one year from the date of applying for the Priority Pass or does it last for one year from the Platinum Card start date?
Priority Pass membership is not just for one year; it's a permanent perk as long as you keep the Amex. My cards expire in July 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.