Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Card - US resident, UK HHA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Chase BA Card - US resident, UK HHA?

I'm keen to take advantage of the 100,000 mile sign-up bonus for the BA Chase card (I trawled through that thread and tried posting on there but it's locked).

Situation: My father-in-law is a UK citizen, US resident (retired there from UK to get some sunshine), and a member of my HHA in the UK (he rarely flies, so this was only so he could transfer some Amex points.

Question: If he applies with his BAEC account registered in the UK, will he still qualify for the bonus miles? If not, I assume just changing the address of his card to US would work (and then just re-join him in 6 months' time)

Also, does anyone have any experience of applying for this card without having a salary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:08 am
Original Poster

(Mod - maybe move this to the BA Chase thread as that has now been reopened)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
You have to be a US BAEC member to qualify for this card. If your father-in-law changes his membership address to a US address (which also means he would have to "leave" your household), and if his card application is approved by Chase (a big if in his case IMO) he would get all the BA Chase card benefits including the bonus miles etc. If he then transfers his BAEC account back to the UK after 6 months, Chase will not automatically cancel the card but advise him that as long as his BAEC membership is based outside of the US he will not be entitled to earn BA miles with Chase.

Having said that, the chances of him being approved for the card by Chase are pretty slim IMO. Certainly none if he's been living in the US for less than a year. If he's been there a few years, he has managed to build a good US credit history, he has a lot of money in the bank and/or if he banks with Chase, then it may be possible for him to have it issued if he speaks to the right people. Otherwise I wouldn't count on it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by London Dude
You have to be a US BAEC member to qualify for this card. If your father-in-law changes his membership address to a US address (which also means he would have to "leave" your household), and if his card application is approved by Chase (a big if in his case IMO) he would get all the BA Chase card benefits including the bonus miles etc. If he then transfers his BAEC account back to the UK after 6 months, Chase will not automatically cancel the card but advise him that as long as his BAEC membership is based outside of the US he will not be entitled to earn BA miles with Chase.

Having said that, the chances of him being approved for the card by Chase are pretty slim IMO. Certainly none if he's been living in the US for less than a year. If he's been there a few years, he has managed to build a good US credit history, he has a lot of money in the bank and/or if he banks with Chase, then it may be possible for him to have it issued if he speaks to the right people. Otherwise I wouldn't count on it.
Fair enough, and thanks for the response. He moved there permanently two years ago, is retired so has no job, and doesn't bank with Chase, so not worth it I reckon given the 6 month HHA rule (I'd probably want to use the existing miles in his account within that 6 months). Unless he created a new BAEC account (wife's name), applied in that name and then 'moved' back in with us once the 100k had been posted (obviously IF she were accepted)...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by donkeyk
Fair enough, and thanks for the response. He moved there permanently two years ago, is retired so has no job, and doesn't bank with Chase, so not worth it I reckon given the 6 month HHA rule (I'd probably want to use the existing miles in his account within that 6 months). Unless he created a new BAEC account (wife's name), applied in that name and then 'moved' back in with us once the 100k had been posted (obviously IF she were accepted)...
Try this: http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...cont&mkid=6G0Z
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by evacboy
Worth a shot but unlikely to be work:

Chase will consider alternative factors such as your salary, employer, and number of years you have worked for your employer when processing your application. As long as you have an address in the United States and a Social Security number, the British Airways Visa credit card could be the right solution for you. You must apply using the special links on this page.

BTW, that link leads to the firstusa.com domain, which used to be the original card issuing company before Chase merged with Bank One/First USA a few years ago. Very strange, as now all the Chase credit cards applications incl. the BA one normally go through the chase.com domain. hmm.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.