Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help with stupid Russian Tourist Visa application form

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond

This has got to be the most un-user friendly form to complete in the world, Britain should take note, it would end a lot of immigration problems as people would get bored or just not understand the question and turn around and swim back across the channel as its less painful.

I am stuck on this question:

Russian institution or organisation to be visited (for tourists-name
and reference number of the host tourist company, for businessmen-name of the host organisation and town, for private persons-last name, first name, middle names and home address of the host):*

What in hell does this question mean? I cant find anything on what to put in this, there are no guidance docs either to completing the form

We are visiting Moscow for 2 days and St Petersburg for 2 days on holiday. Have not booked the hotel or flights yet but know the days we want to go and have a good idea of where we're going to stay at (am a PC Platinum).

For the question on countries youve visited in the last 10 years including dates - is this taking the p*ss? Its going to take me ages to fill that in...

Any help much appreciated
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Sadly, you cannot just apply for a Russian visa. You need to have an invitation from an organization (which can be a tourist agency or a hotel) that is supporting your visa application. Many companies in the US and UK will give you an invitation for a fee. If you go to the Russia forum you'll be able to find a bunch of information on how to get an invite and a visa before you make your reservations.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
ah right, makes sense now. Cheers for that

ps - I didnt know about the Russia Forum, so apologies for posting here

Last edited by globalste; Jan 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Russian institution or organisation to be visited

a) For tourists, write the name and reference number of the host tourist company

b) For businessmen, write the name of the host organisation and town

c) For private persons, write the last name, first name, middle names and home address of the host

I think (a) applies to you.

For the question on countries youve visited in the last 10 years including dates - is this taking the p*ss? Its going to take me ages to fill that in...
Just include the ones you have visa stamps for, and any others until you run out of space.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Actually, just did a quick search and saw you asked a question in November and it's now in the Russia forum and lists a couple of agencies:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russi...questions.html

In any event, the answer to the question "Organization to be visited" should be the name of the organization that is on your invitation.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I used the information from this website, very useful.

http://www.seat61.com/Russia.htm#Visas

I used an agency called www.realrussia.co.uk they were efficient and quick.

What they do is generate the "invitation" for you and put the passport in for processing.

If you wish to DIY it you can get hotels in Russia to generate the letter at a cost. I found it so much hassle in the end it was easier to use the agency.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Yep for Russia it is always easier to use an agency.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by johnny5a

I used an agency called www.realrussia.co.uk they were efficient and quick.

What they do is generate the "invitation" for you and put the passport in for processing.

I use them too and they are very helpful
^^
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
+1 on RealRussia. I used them in '06 for my Riga-Moscow-Arkhangelsk-Murmansk-St Petersburg-Riga jolly and they were superlative.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Another plus for www.realrussia.co.uk

I tried once on my own... a 5am Que at the embassy followed by 2 hours questioning on arrival in Moscow!

Make sure you leave PLENTY of time for the Kremlin... and get a good guide book that explains how you get into the museum (its not just a case of turning up!).. one of the best couple of days of sight seeing in my life!

Also check out the Bolshoi website which is very easy to use to see if there is a good performance while you are there.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Ooh, and top tip: make sure you check when Pickled Lenin is and isn't open. I am 0 for 2 on my World Leaders In Vinegar tour -- both Mao and Lenin were closed for repickling when I tried to visit.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:42 pm

Does the question about the countries you have visited only apply to tourists or is it new? I visited for less than 72 hours and was able to apply for a transit visa (without the requirement for an invitation): I wasn't asked this question.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:35 pm

Transit visas are a much shortened version, you don't have to jump through the same hoops.

In Russia's defence (!?) the current visa nightmare is part of an ongoing tit for tat dispute with the UK government. Our government brought in much stricter visa controls for Russian citizens, so the Russian government have matched them for us.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:16 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I don't know about the Russian application and the requierment to have a host but I'm not a big fan of the UK visa application... I've filled it out once for my mom and it was lenghty and required lots of detail... I understand that it's important to check the applicant fully but it's still a hassle (and the visas are usually given for a shorter period of time than the US visa.)
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Silver, IHG Plat (I'Con Ambassador), Marriott Plat (and a mortgage I get no use out of!)
I am pretty sure your hotel will issue you with a tourist invitation (certainly Marriott will) if you have a confirmed booking with them.

I use a guy called Vas for all my visa requirements worldwide and he's excellent (on every country - including ones where others give up! I just don't ask....!), UK: 01252 553140, tell him Dave E sent you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.