Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heads Up - Weather 3rd - 13th Jan [merged discussion on snow and disruption]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Just a heads up at this stage.
The met office are warning of snow showers tomorrow, HOWEVER the interweb weather forums who are looking at the GFS, METO and ECM charts are besides themselves with the amount of snow for the SE Tues - Thurs.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._warnings.html
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
We'd a foot of snow on Boxing Day, and lots more since. You wouldn't know, because huge amounts of snow in Scotland aren't considered newsworthy
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
We'd a foot of snow on Boxing Day, and lots more since. You wouldn't know, because huge amounts of snow in Scotland aren't considered newsworthy
You tell em Jenbel, I had to dig my car out of the drive to go get some milk at Lidl.

Pesky Snow it's driving me mad, when is it going to warm up?????

Cheers Larry (From the Highlands.)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The past week has been a interesting learning curve for me - I have now mastered the skill of parallel parking on ice - alternate between second and reverse, careful clutch control and the vehicle shimmies right in there, baby
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I learned how to break my car out of a foot high, frozen snow hole it had made for itself.

Lots of power, lots of muscle, and using the car's sideways slide to break down the barrier all helped!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Hurrah! I'm off from City on Friday morning!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Now could that be down to the fact that Scotland gets snow on a regular basis compared to London that doesn't? Or the that news often focuses on areas that effect most people with 5 million in Scotland and 50 million in England 10+ In London alone.

No doubt if the snow does come again the London airports will grind to a hault again and we can read in all the papers how Canada, Sweden etc can cope with it. If we had more predictable weather like those countries and it happened so often then it would be worth having fleets of snow equipment sitting around.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CT-UK
.........No doubt if the snow does come again the London airports will grind to a hault again and we can read in all the papers how Canada, Sweden etc can cope with it. If we had more predictable weather like those countries and it happened so often then it would be worth having fleets of snow equipment sitting around.
My permanent home is in YWG. There we expect snow by the end of October and it lasts until the end of April... Thus, we have snowplows always at the ready. Blades are removed from the trucks for summer use, but the big rotary units are always there..

By the way, the snowplows (including the trucks and graders with blades) have to be "plugged in" to the power grid so the engine oil stays warm enough to start the vehicles. The diesels need extra precautions (like electric blankets to cover the head and manifold system).

Jet engines need something like a Herman Nelson heater to get them going. Then short stops/shutdowns are no big deal. The jet lub system is already "winterised" because of the low temps at cruising altitude.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:58 am
Original Poster

"I don't want you to worry yet but this could happen"
Thats the quote from the weather presenter...

Last edited by allthebestnameshavegone; Jan 3, 2010 at 5:17 am
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Edited as i've managed to resize the pic..

Last edited by allthebestnameshavegone; Jan 3, 2010 at 5:18 am
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Oh cock.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have three flights involving the UK on these dates, and also on 11th.

I REALLY don't want to get stuck at LHR for 12 hours like I did in Feb last year, followed by a delayed bag
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have several European flights tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and on the 7th and am worried too, all the more so that much of continental Europe is promised some snow too which might result in cumulated delays...
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:22 am
Original Poster

To be fair, thats for this Friday, they were unable to predict the snow here in Kent today until this morning.

In terms of weather, Thursday - Friday is years away at this stage.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Friday is not looking good as we are flying LGW-GLA but what's the weather like at LHR today? We're about to leave Berlin to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.