Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delays last night (Sun) at Frankfurt T2 - missed flight [7 Dec]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays last night (Sun) at Frankfurt T2 - missed flight [7 Dec]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Unhappy Delays last night (Sun) at Frankfurt T2 - missed flight [7 Dec]

Just wondering what other people's experiences have been with British Airways and delays that I believe are out of my control - as traditionally they've always been pretty accommodating.

An unattended bag closed the check-in desks for BA last night at Frankfurt around 18:00, however it did re-open in time and I was checked in - 50 minutes before departure. So, still OK and before check-in was due to close!

However the queues for Passport Control were horrendous - almost 1h to clear, I'm guessing because of the flood of people at once. FRA staff wouldn't listen to almost anyone wanting to queue-jump, as everyone I saw around me had an even earlier departure time than mine.

I eventually got to the gate to find the flight had left about 5-10 minutes ago, I guess as they wanted to avoid missing the curfew at LCY, though there was still plenty of time. Expecting to be rebooked on the next flight, I was told by the surly supervisor that it was my fault, doubted my recount of the story and told to pay over EUR300 to be rebooked.

London told me it was a 'bit naughty' that the gate crew closed the flight, knowing there'd been a security scare that closed check-in temporarily, followed by huge queues, and some passengers still stuck somewhere between security and the gate.

In short, I presented myself well ahead of time at the airport, but it was closed. When it re-opened, I was still checked-in before closing time. Knowing there's been a security scare I believe those passengers should have been reaccommodated.

Or do I just have to take it?!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Sounds dreadful! What did you do in the end? Were you rebooked? (I guess so...) Did you have to pay anything?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The supervisor sounds a very unsympathetic twat if your recollections of the events are accurate.
Were there any other passengers from your flight stranded do you know?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Yes not the best way to end a weekend, I had to rebook at my own expense, a little over EUR300. The agent I was speaking to at the desk was very helpful, but her hands were tied, the supervisor wasn’t budging. I stayed calm but trust me the word twat along with a few others were bouncing around my head!

Apparently 4 pax were checked in and didn’t make it, I thought it would be a higher number, but maybe with LCY and a smaller plane, there were more people just with hand luggage and could thus avoid the check-in desks.

Either way I guess she enjoyed seeing passengers suffer, I think it’s just that small number of BA employees that seem intent on causing misery for paying customers, which is a shame as the crew on the later flight back to London were just superb. She was splitting straws over whether we reported 4 or 5 pax who missed it, but again the gate crew weren’t talking to the check-in staff to advise what happened. When we said we believed it was fair to be reaccommodated on a later flight, she smiled and said sarcastically that BA ‘are always happy to give customers free flights’.

All pretty immature!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wellsy
All pretty immature!
I think a letter to CS is in order.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Either way I guess she enjoyed seeing passengers suffer, I think it’s just that small number of BA employees that seem intent on causing misery for paying customers, which is a shame as the crew on the later flight back to London were just superb. She was splitting straws over whether we reported 4 or 5 pax who missed it, but again the gate crew weren’t talking to the check-in staff to advise what happened. When we said we believed it was fair to be reaccommodated on a later flight, she smiled and said sarcastically that BA ‘are always happy to give customers free flights’.
That sounds absolutely dreadful. I'm so sorry to hear that.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Yes not the best way to end a weekend, I had to rebook at my own expense, a little over EUR300. !
Send CS a stern letter, including a copy of this thread.

I hope they find sense and refund you.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Sorry to hear this. I hope you'll be writing to customer services, describing the circumstance.

Since you're a fellow QFFer I'll mention this - even JQ rebook passengers FoC when there is a circumstance beyond their control. I missed my flight once due to severe road congestion due to multiple road accidents, and they rebooked me on another flight as soon as I mentioned the reason. They said "it's not your fault, so we will rebook you free of charge, don't worry. Same with other people affected - we know there are lots".
I would have expected BA to do better.
I genuinely think that BA CS will put this situation right.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ELAL
including a copy of this thread.
Why on earth would you do that? A copy of some irrelevant (to the case at hand for BA) thread and equally irrelevant comments on some random 'net forum is more likely to see your letter chucked away for including useless, boring crap (no offence to the fine posters here and no comment on the contents of the thread itself!) than be taken seriously. Absolutely write in but I can't see why anyone would enclose an FT thread with it?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:36 pm

I'm trying to work out if this is a money grievance or a grievance in the treatment you received-or both

What does rebooked mean here-and what was the 300 Euros charged-was this effectively a new fare or some form of supplement to the existing fare?

Did you have a non refundable fare-if so-wouldnt you seek to rely upon the conditions of carriage at 3e-or maybe you already did and that was the problematic response you have already received at the airport.

3e) Your rights if you are prevented from travelling by events beyond your control

If:

* you are a consumer.
* you have been prevented from travelling by events beyond your control and
* all or part of the fare for your ticket is non-refundable.

we will give you a credit for the non-refundable part of the fare. We will do this if you:

* have a completely unused ticket
* have told us promptly about the events beyond your control and
* have given us evidence of these events.

I would think the fact you missed this flight-following what must have been a known problem at the airport that day would appear to fall within these requirements.

If BA wish evidence-ask them verify your version of events with the Airport-as you presumably didnt take concurrent video recording of events-(or maybe you will next time).

That's if this is in respect of the 300 Euros (and how it is calculated) and not a service delivery issue.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Cheers everyone for your suggestions, I’ll definitely be writing a letter to CS today. Though it was a big Christmas Party last night so maybe tomorrow

LTN – it gives me hope if even JQ do that. I know I’ve experienced some fantastic staff working for QF in Singapore who just go above and beyond what you’d expect, but contrasted with this it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

And Shona I think it’s a bit of both really – I only ever seem to have this trouble with BA, and for something that could be resolved on the spot, I’m having to write letters, cash cheques, and wonder what business actually thinks it’s good customer service.

The EUR300 I paid at the desk was to change the booking, ie the fare difference between my original fare (L class I think) and the new fare, plus any change fees. That was cheaper than purchasing a whole new J class at GBP600.

It’s a good point about the conditions of carriage, I’ve not delved into that much. But that sounds spot on so I’ll use it to guide my letter to CS. As it was though I did explain the situation along those lines, but effectively it was a ‘no’ – I’d missed my flight and that was the end of their responsibility. The supervisor kept repeating that a new fare needed to be purchased, then just walked back into her office. If I didn’t pay for a later flight I guess I’d still be in Frankfurt!

I also did ask at FRA (Fraport) for evidence of the delays, but they don’t give that out, however I’m sure being Frankfurt it’ll be documented and recorded.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
LTN – it gives me hope if even JQ do that. I know I’ve experienced some fantastic staff working for QF in Singapore who just go above and beyond what you’d expect, but contrasted with this it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
I agree about those terrific QF staff in SIN. I have had them save the day when my connecting flight got badly late and I had a pretty tight schedule on arrival. The terrific staff (among average to terrible, sadly) are the reason why I still fly QF despite being quite dissatisfied with their corporate attitude towards QFWPs.

I hope you do manage to get this FRA situation sorted out to your satisfaction.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Shona
3e) Your rights if you are prevented from travelling by events beyond your control

If:

* you are a consumer.
* you have been prevented from travelling by events beyond your control and
* all or part of the fare for your ticket is non-refundable.

we will give you a credit for the non-refundable part of the fare. We will do this if you:

* have a completely unused ticket
* have told us promptly about the events beyond your control and
* have given us evidence of these events.
Very interesting: so that seems to mean that if there is a delay in public transport or a traffic jam holding up your taxi, you can get a refund.^ But curiously only for the outgoing flight.

Though what one usually wants is to travel on the next available flight (the US airlines "flat tire" rule).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Just an update guys - Round 1 to BA. Got home Friday night to find a letter from BA, along the lines of "we understand there were issues out of your control", however "we are not responsible for what occurred". In effect telling me I should be at the gate in time, which under normal circumstances I agree, but ignored anything about the security incident that evening.

So without a cheque attached, I still had Willie's email so I've forwarded off a reply, I've had enough.

Failing that it's the small claims court, and a final switch of allegiance to the German (and Swiss) bird instead I think!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.162 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Just stumbled across this today.
The whole story reminds me of my own encounters with the BA check-in desk at FRA.
On every single occasion I had dealings with them there were issues.
They like nothing more than
humiliating passengers, especially it seems if
they travel in CE.
It is somehow strange how such
an important outstation can be so consistently awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.