Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Bringing Baby food into USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

OT: Bringing Baby food into USA

Hi
We are travelling with a baby into MCO - does anyone know if its ok to bring unopened sealed baby food (the meal pots, not meat flavour) and sealed Milupa formula milk powder in our hold luggage into America?

Or does anyone know the general availability in Florida of baby food meal pots similar to the Organix range you get in UK?
thanks
mobpd
Old Nov 27, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by mobpd
Hi
We are travelling with a baby into MCO - does anyone know if its ok to bring unopened sealed baby food (the meal pots, not meat flavour) and sealed Milupa formula milk powder in our hold luggage into America?

Or does anyone know the general availability in Florida of baby food meal pots similar to the Organix range you get in UK?
thanks
mobpd
We faced the same question a couple of years ago when we took our boy to NY. I spoke to someone very useful at the US Embassy in London but I'm afraid I can't find the number anywhere. The advice then was that sealed baby food and unopened tins of milk powder were fine as long as they were declared on the Customs form. Our bags were x-rayed at Customs and they hand inspected the various jars. This may have changed, so I advise ringing the US Embassy for a definitive answer.

As for the availability of organic baby food. There is a single brand of organic baby food (again, the name escapes me) but what I do remember is just how expensive the jars were in comparison to the UK and this was back when it was $2=1 !
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:52 pm

No problem bringing the unopened jars of baby food. These are the prohibited items:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
as for carry on:

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You have no problem with formula, we used to bring in 3 months worth, food is ok as long no meat.

We have found it can vary between arrival airport and office to how much inspecton you will get.

I would recommend bringing in your own, formula is x2 the price of the UK, here in Colorado.

but more importantly I hope the flight goes OK, we have flown our daughter 4 trans-atlantic returns in her first year so know what its like, the BA staff were amazing every time.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, VS, Hilton Honours
Mrs DrP and I flew into PHL with our 5month old not so long ago and had no trouble taking formula both sealed and some opened in to the USA as long as you mention to security staff if its in you cabin baggage.

As for jars of food - I am also wondering the same as you - as we also are due to go to MCO next week and so were debating wether or not to take the jars with us.

What I can say is that the brands available out there seem to be completely different to the ones here - I remember trying to find Aptamil Formula to no avail in US - luckily we had jut enough until we got back. So make sure you allow for that.

Hope you have a good trip..
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
You should have no problem bringing any sort of canned/bottled baby food into the US. It is perfectly legal to bring things like canned tuna/ sardines/ foie gras, etc, so you'll have no problem with any European commercial baby food.

What the USDA is really concerned about is imported raw fruits, vegetables and other plant products that can pose a major risk to crops, plants in the US. They also don't like raw meats, as they may carry disease.

There is a question on the customs declaration form that asks about "food." When bringing in food products, I always check yes, and have never been asked more than "any fruits or vegetables?"

If you do need to purchase organic baby food in the US, just go to Whole Foods where you'll find all sorts of organic baby foods, which will be of equal quality to what you find at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.