Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in GVA now airside

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Lounge in GVA now airside

Security at GVA now takes place in a single location, where passport control used to be. The good news is that therefore the BA lounge is now airside, after security. The news was very discretely announced.
However, you will still have to go through passport control to get to the BA gates at B3x, though that usually only takes a few seconds.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
OH HURRAH AND HUZZAH! Thank the Lord. This is truly excellent news in light of my trip to GVA next week. Hopefully I won't almost just miss the flight this time like I always do.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I don't quite understand this. I was at GVA a couple of weeks ago and the lounge was upstairs as it has always been. When the flight to LHR was announced we had to go downstairs (the lift was broken) and then a long walk down a corridor with two moving walkways (that were out of order), to a passport check. After that we turned left along another corridor reaching a security check which was just before the B gate we departed from (B32 I think it was)

So is this a brand new lounge or is it still in the same place and it is just security that has moved?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Just checked MMB for my next flight to GVA and BA describes the lounge as:

British Airways Terraces Lounge
Location:After Security on the mezzanine level. (Lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions.)
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Hi, it's the same lounge in the same place.

Remember you used to go up the stairs/escalator after checkin-in, and just ahead of you was passport control? Well now you get to this point and are sent to the left to a single (but speedy and efficient) security check point where the usual x-rays take place. You are then through, turn right and head off to the lounge just like before.

I think BA used to use A gates, the furthest ones away from the lounge, but I was B23 (?) last week, which is still a hike but seems closer.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I seem to remember the GVA lounge being airside and duty free shops being immediately accessible when I was last there in 2007. Maybe I am wrong though.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
This is all due to Switzerland now being part of the "Schenghen" zone, which groups some but not all EU countries between which there is no more passport control. This is a hoot considering the fact that 1) due to security requirements one now needs to carry identification anyhow and 2) that Switzerland is still not part of the EU... but this is what it is.

Therefore, while everybody needs to submit to security, many travelers do not anymore need to go through immigration controls.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I seem to remember the GVA lounge being airside and duty free shops being immediately accessible when I was last there in 2007. Maybe I am wrong though.
I was just in GVA on Thursday and the lounge was the same old lounge, and it was definitely upstairs, after we cleared security.

There were some security-screening machines downstairs at the base of the broken elevator, but they were all pushed to one side and cordoned off (and obv not being used). Are those the ones you're referring to?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: GGL
Yes same lounge, but if you are lucky enough to also have priority pass then walk 20 meters furher, turn right, and enter the MUCH nicer Swiss Business class lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The lounge hasn't moved. Security has moved. It used to be just before you got to the B3x gates in the middle of the airfield. There is now a single security location, servicing all gates, up the escalators from the check-in area. The lounge is one floor up from there.
The path from the lounge to gates is therefore: Down one floor, down another floor, walk along long corridor (hope the travellator is working), go through passport control (as UK is not part of Schengen), then straight to gate 3x area.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 3:02 am

Programs: BA gold, VS gold, miles and miles elite,
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
This is a hoot considering the fact that 1) due to security requirements one now needs to carry identification anyhow and 2) that Switzerland is still not part of the EU... but this is what it is.
It maz not make a big difference for some, but if you are on a non-EU passport it avoids filling up your passport with useless stamps (on a trip from the UK to Germany, almost one page of a passport gets filled up with 3 stamps).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.