Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please note: this thread is archival only; the current thread is:

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers (merged)
Print Wikipost

Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 3:10 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Thanks GW.

Further reseach on other travel sites confirm that this is not only a possibility, but may be the best way to go assuming that one will be in Argentina first, then traveling to Brazil. That's not to say it's the easiest thing one might ever do, but that it is a better way to go than putting one's passport in the mail within the month before travel time.

Some people who have done this have said that it actually enhanced their South American "experience." The biggest problem seems to be knowing the hours of the consulate in Buenos Aires and not waiting until the last minute. If a traveller has been in some South American countries, proof of a yellow fever vaccine may be required. Regardless, I'm going to try this. I'll report my success, or lack of, when I get back.
Old May 4, 2006, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
FHC when he was being hosted in India. And I've heard nothing that would indicate it's changed since.
Who is FHC and exactly what evidence did he present to support your statements?

"There is also a large number of Americans who violate Brazilian law, including Brazilian immigration law.

Some of this involves Americans entering Brazil illegally. (And it is routinely far easier for Americans to enter Brazil illegally or for Americans to violate the terms of their visas than it is for Brazilians to enter America illegally and violate the terms of their visa.) It is not too hard for Americans to find Americans violating the terms of their entry in Brazil, especially as quite a number of American routinely overstay in Brazil and/or engage in activities that are incompatible with their visa status and other Brazilian laws.
"
Old May 5, 2006, 1:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Who is FHC and exactly what evidence did he present to support your statements?
The then President of Brazil.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:04 pm

The then President of Brazil.
Politicians get elected not by telling the truth, but by telling voters what they want to hear. Since this is a particularly sensitive subject for Brazilians, I am not at all surprised that he would say this.
Generally speaking, people immigrate for economic opportunity. The idea of large numbers of Americans (very few of which speak Portuguese) picking up and moving from the US (GDP US$42101 per capita) to live and work illegally in Brazil (GDP US$4316) just makes no sense. Sorry, but unless you can point to a credible source with facts and figures that back your statements, I am not at all convinced.

Last edited by dogcanyon; May 9, 2006 at 12:15 pm
Old May 9, 2006, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Politicians get elected not by telling the truth, but by telling voters what they want to hear. Since this is a particularly sensitive subject for Brazilians, I am not at all surprised that he would say this. However, I would not put any more credence in his statements on this topic than I would in GWB's opinion about how well the war in Iraq is going for the US. Sorry, but unless you can point to a credible source with facts and figures that back your statements, I am not at all convinced.
Be it as it may. It's not my statement; it was the THEN President of Brazil's statement. Furthermore, Cardoso wasn't there with Brazilian voters in mind -- so he wasn't in score mode -- and this pre-dated the "particularly sensitive subject for Brazilians" matter as manifested with the finger printing debacle. Furthermore Cardoso was, in effect, a political refugee in the US for a period of time so there's not much of an "anti-American" bone in his body; and he was neither interested in bashing on the Clinton Administration's visa policies nor even that interested in the topic but in passing. Also, as he's an economist and social scientist more than anything, I think I'll go with his own knowledge about his own country before I go with most others. This is nothing like GWB's opinion on the state of affairs in Iraq; it's more akin to GWB's statement about biking on his own ranch.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 9, 2006 at 12:26 pm
Old May 9, 2006, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Politicians get elected not by telling the truth, but by telling voters what they want to hear. Since this is a particularly sensitive subject for Brazilians, I am not at all surprised that he would say this.
Generally speaking, people immigrate for economic opportunity. The idea of large numbers of Americans (very few of which speak Portuguese) picking up and moving from the US (GDP US$42101 per capita) to live and work illegally in Brazil (GDP US$4316) just makes no sense. Sorry, but unless you can point to a credible source with facts and figures that back your statements, I am not at all convinced.
Are you aware of Americans going down there and buying up agricultural property, often in violation of laws and their visa status there at the time? American farmers relocating to Brazil is an increasingly common thing.

Are you aware of US and European pilots moving to India? The per capita GDP of India is under $2,000 while you have the US GDP per capita at $42,101. You say it doesn't make sense. Seems to make sense to the Americans and Europeans moving to India. Are you aware of Israelis moving to India? By the same measures, it "just makes no sense" either. Yet it happens. Can't deny those facts.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 9, 2006 at 4:06 pm
Old May 9, 2006, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Please stay on topic

It has come to my attention that the discussion in this thread has been veering away from the topic about questions pertaining to a tourist visa to Brazil.

I understand that the circumstances surrounding the controversy pertaining to the current visa situation between the United States and Brazil renders it difficult to stay away from discussing politics and other tenuously-related trends, but let’s please stay on topic.

Of course, please feel free to launch a new thread in the OMNI forum for the ancillary issues related to this thread but are off-topic, such as politics, and then post a link to allow others to continue the discussion there.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Old May 22, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA-Exp 4MM
There is also a large number of Americans who violate Brazilian law, including Brazilian immigration law.

Some of this involves Americans entering Brazil illegally.......ws.
Are you refering to only airline travel? There are tens of thousands of Brazilians going to Mexico crossing the border every year. They immediatly turn themselves over to the Border Patrol. They get a temp 90 day card, free bus far to a large city, but do have to sign that they will report to the federal agency in 90 days.. This is because the USA has to return them to their country of origin (Brazil) not Mexico.

I am not trying to start a Mexico border issue, just pointing out that there are a lot of Brazilians coming to the USA illegally vs Americas going to Brasil (but I have no stats on that).

I go to Brazil every month, and I cannot see any American getting in without a visa, not on an airline.
Old May 22, 2006, 11:21 pm

Length of Brazil Visa

Just jumped on this topic. I am married to a Brazilian. I live there about 2 weeks out of every month. I have had visas for various lengths, and delt with various consulates.
Business Visa, 5 yrs, 2yrs, 1 Yr then 2 Yrs.
Now Tourist Visa for 5yrs

The length of the visa that you are granted depends on a lot of things. Like the USA-Brazil relationship. Also on which Consulate, and if you hire an Agency to help.

It seems that for the past 5 years the business visas are shorter, because they do not want so many business people going there (there are also many types).. That was Los Angeles. I have a friend who used Houston, they got 1 year.

Tourist Visa will depend. If you are a married male traveling there alone, you wiil probably be denied a visa, I clearly indicated that my wife lives in Brazil on my application otherwise they are typically denied.

They will also look at your travel record to see how much you travel, travel a lot, probalby 5 years.

So, there is no clear cut answer on length of the visa.
Old May 22, 2006, 11:28 pm

Los Angeles Consulate

I have been there a lot lately. I recently rushed there to arrive at 1:01PM, they would not take my Visa Applicaiton since they closed that window at 1:00PM. Yes, it was exactly 1 min, the guard actually said they had closed about 15 min early because nobody was waitng. Sigh this is a 90 min drive for me.

So I remembered that there is a Notary Public in the office adjacent to the consulate ( www.beverlyhillsnotary.com ) . I went in, asked him if he can help.. Sure.. he does it all the time. He is not one of the Visa agencys that tend to charge a lot. To drop off my visa the next morning he would charge me $10. What a deal, I had to spend more than that in gas to get there. He would also pick it up, and overnight to me for something like $20 more.. I also got it in 4 days, not the 10 business days.

Oh, Pickup is like 1PM to 3Pm, so also a hard time window to make.

For those going there, he also does money orders, various forms and letters. I only state all of this because he was very nice guy. and some of you might have the same issues, no mail order, short windows of time to be there, etc..
Old May 23, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
I am on the Board of a large international organization and in recent years I have frequently travelled to Brazil for meetings. I had a five year business visa.

When I recently renewed my visa, I was only given a 90 day visa. I was told that I had no right to ask why and that they would not refund the difference between a 90 day and a five year visa.

Since I have a choice, I cancelled all of my meetings in Brazil for the next year and moved them to Argentina and Chile.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by dbyyz
Since I have a choice, I cancelled all of my meetings in Brazil for the next year and moved them to Argentina and Chile.
Right on. Hopefully someone at a Brazilian consulate is reading this thread (or maybe just bring the gesture to their attention). As much as Brazil would like spurn US hegemony, there's no doubt they're hurtin' from this kind of fallout.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:33 am

I am on the Board of a large international organization and in recent years I have frequently travelled to Brazil for meetings. I had a five year business visa.

When I recently renewed my visa, I was only given a 90 day visa. I was told that I had no right to ask why and that they would not refund the difference between a 90 day and a five year visa.

I passed on your comments to some of the Brazil executives I know. Not that it will help, but will generate conversation there.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:34 am

which consulate?
Old May 24, 2006, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrDaveEXPLT
If you are a married male traveling there alone, you wiil probably be denied a visa,
"Probably" being substantially below 50% -- at least out of DC and NYC -- still makes that "probably be denied a visa"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.