Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please note: this thread is archival only; the current thread is:

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers (merged)
Print Wikipost

Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by battensea
So I am wondering what would happen, with the new system, if you submitted an application without listing any travel dates.
Would it be denied?

I've seen upthread (or maybe it was on another site) people suggesting that you buy fully refundable airline tickets just to get your visa then return the tickets once you've received your visa!
I still believe that you must still show a return flight (the intent being to eliminate people that plan on overstaying their Visa.) Yes, you could buy a fully refundable ticket, obtain the Visa, then cancel the flight. However, I would assume that 99.5% of people that are applying for a Brasilian Visa intend to travel there in the very near future. Just like maybe .01% or so with a return flight skip the return flight and remain in Brasil beyond the 180 days.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: MR Plat, IC Plat, AS MVP Gold, DL Plat
I've read through this thread to get as much information as possible but I am not sure I understood everything. Forgive me if it's been answered numerous times before and I am just repeating someone else:

I am planning on going to Brazil in a month (30 days from today). Being that I will arrive in the middle of Carnaval, do I still have a chance to get a travel visa in the US (as a US citizen) in time for my trip?

I have called visa agencies and visited consulate sites. Visa agencies are saying the process will take them 4 weeks due to Carnaval and the rush of visa requests that come along with it. The Los Angeles consulate site shows that the earliest appointment I can schedule is two weeks from now (and I don't reside in California either). If I make that appointment, will I get a visa within two weeks of my application?

I have a friend in NYC. Can I mail him my documents, photograph and forms and have him apply for me at the NYC consulate for a same-day or expedited visa?

Should I just change plans and not include Brazil in the trip? Planning this trip has been a headache because I got put in charge of planning for four people with varying schedules and coming from different countries/continents. Now I have to figure out this visa situation.

For the people I mentioned in my trip who are not in the US, I have held them responsible for obtaining their own travel visas in their country.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Past experience suggests that if you show up for your appointment with your ticket in hand (itinerary and receipt for website works) and all the required documents they'll still make your turnaround. It is by far the busiest time, but last year I had some guests who managed in LA with 10 days to go.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cundo
I've read through this thread to get as much information as possible but I am not sure I understood everything. Forgive me if it's been answered numerous times before and I am just repeating someone else:

I am planning on going to Brazil in a month (30 days from today). Being that I will arrive in the middle of Carnaval, do I still have a chance to get a travel visa in the US (as a US citizen) in time for my trip?

I have called visa agencies and visited consulate sites. Visa agencies are saying the process will take them 4 weeks due to Carnaval and the rush of visa requests that come along with it. The Los Angeles consulate site shows that the earliest appointment I can schedule is two weeks from now (and I don't reside in California either). If I make that appointment, will I get a visa within two weeks of my application?

I have a friend in NYC. Can I mail him my documents, photograph and forms and have him apply for me at the NYC consulate for a same-day or expedited visa?

Should I just change plans and not include Brazil in the trip? Planning this trip has been a headache because I got put in charge of planning for four people with varying schedules and coming from different countries/continents. Now I have to figure out this visa situation.

For the people I mentioned in my trip who are not in the US, I have held them responsible for obtaining their own travel visas in their country.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.
Generally the New York consulate is the quickest for turnaround, generally within a few business days (although maybe longer with Carnaval coming.) Others have reported that they have gotten friends to take in their documentation without issue, others might have actual experience. Personally, I would not chance someone doing it for me.

Either way, download the forms and fill out the documentation exactly. The consulate will not accept any improperly forms even for minor issues. Also, if I were sending documentation to a friend (which will include your passport and a postal money order for the fee) I would use certified mail both ways.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: MR Plat, IC Plat, AS MVP Gold, DL Plat
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Past experience suggests that if you show up for your appointment with your ticket in hand (itinerary and receipt for website works) and all the required documents they'll still make your turnaround. It is by far the busiest time, but last year I had some guests who managed in LA with 10 days to go.
Thanks for the quick reply. That is very promising.

I am in Washington state so I need to be very calculated if I plan on going to LA or another city w/ a consulate.

The earliest appointment I can schedule in LA is 2/11 or 2/14 so getting a 10-day or 2-week turnaround after that is cutting it extremely close. I'll have a few days to spare but if something goes wrong with my application, I'll have just a few days to:
  1. change our plane tickets,
  2. cancel hotel reservations &
  3. find a new destination to fly to through Rio.

If I go with the LA office, how confident can I be that I'll get my application processed in time for my trip?

If I change my trip, can I still land in GIG and catch another flight/itinerary to Argentina without dealing with Brazilian immigration without stepping out the airport doors?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.