Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from London to RIO - Which is Cheaper in Economy AA or BA

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 2:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Getting from London to RIO - Which is Cheaper in Economy AA or BA

For selected dates in August, with 42 day advance purchase and travelling Mon-Weds these were the prices in 2005:

British Airways
Outbound BA0247 Heathrow (London),United Kingdom Rio de Janeiro (International),Brazil Economy (Traveller) Tue 16 August 2005 ,21:50 Wed 17 August 2005 , 07:55
Inbound BA0246 Rio de Janeiro (International),Brazil Heathrow (London),United Kingdom Economy (Traveller) Wed 24 August 2005 ,14:35 Thu 25 August 2005 , 08:10

1 Adult £ 738.00 £ 88.60 £ 826.60
Total price £ 826.60(UK Pounds) = US$1512

AMERICAN AIRLINES 115 LHR London 08/16/2005 08:30 AM JFK New York 08/16/2005 10:55 AM 777
AA951 JFK New York 08/16/2005 10:20 PM GRU Sao Paulo 08/17/2005 08:40 AM 777
AA951 GRU Sao Paulo 08/17/2005 10:35 AM GIG Rio De Janeiro 08/17/2005 11:31 AM 777

AMERICAN AIRLINES
950 GIG Rio De Janeiro 08/24/2005 06:25 PM GRU Sao Paulo 08/24/2005 07:33 PM 777
950 GRU Sao Paulo 08/24/2005 09:35 PM JFK New York 08/25/2005 06:03 AM 777
142 JFK New York 08/25/2005 08:30 AM LHR London 08/25/2005 08:15 PM 777
Average Fare per Person - 1417.00 USD

1 Adult 1417.00 USD 139.30 USD 1556.30 USD
Your Total Price 1556.30 USD

So in economy/coach, BA works out around $44 less expensive than AA.

Differeantiators:

AA offers MRTC, an extra two inches legroom throughout the aircraft. On AA due to poor connections at NYC, the journey takes around 30 hours on the outbound. You have to change planes once in NYC, and there is a landing at Sao Paulo both ways NYC-GIG. Service is on 777s. No free bar. No amenity kit. Full miles offered to AAdvantage members on all fares. Transatlantic sector cannot earn miles in BAEC.

BA offers just 31" pitch in coach. However, the flight lasts just 13 and a half hours, and although like AA there is a stop in Sao Paulo, you never have to change planes. Service is on 747s. Free bar is offered throughout the flight. Amenity kit with socks, eye shades offered to all passengers. Just 25% of miles offered on cheapest fares to BAEC and AAdvantage travellers, miles can be earned on either scheme.

So while BA is the cheapest, and offers the quickest least hassle journey on a marginally more spacious 747, and you get free bar and amenity kit, AA is definitely the option to choose if you are a mileage hound, and a few extra inches of legroom is worth the doubling of the flight time to you or indeed you would enjoy an afternoon in NYC en route.
Old May 30, 2005, 1:01 pm

I would go with BA. Better service, shorter flight.
I have read that AA changes the "extra two inches legroom throughout the aircraft" soon, but not sure. You should check this out.

Have you tried LHR-MIA-GIG on AA .. no stop at GRU?

Last edited by USAFAN; May 31, 2005 at 6:33 am
Old May 30, 2005, 4:03 pm

Between these two options, BA is the better choice. However, BA isn't a daily flight, so if your plans change, you may be in trouble.

AA via MIA is a good idea, but if you're not married to oneworld, AF has a daily flight direct from Rio to CDG. Travel time would be comparable to BA via Sao Paulo, and equipment is similar (AF flies recently reconfigured 747-400s on this route).

TAM also has daily flights to Paris, with a generally well-considered in-flight experience, and you can earn AA miles. Currently you can fly in J for as little as $3k RT.
Old May 31, 2005, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Angostura
Between these two options, BA is the better choice. However, BA isn't a daily flight, so if your plans change, you may be in trouble.

TAM also has daily flights to Paris, with a generally well-considered in-flight experience, and you can earn AA miles. Currently you can fly in J for as little as $3k RT.
Yes, TAM is good .... friendly service. They have nice new A-330. Have just done MIA-GRU-EZE and back with them. Got the AA Miles within 2 to 3 weeks.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by USAFAN
Have you tried LHR-MIA-GIG on AA .. no stop at GRU?
I flew LON MIA CUN and swore never to connect through a US hub again. Absolute nightmare. Our American chums don't employ the concept of airside transfers so you have to go through the whole awful mess of entering their country: which is fine if you want to be in the US, but not so fine if you are simply en route for another place.

Go BA - or a nice (and usually cheaper) way is TP/RG via LIS and start an M&M account . You can even do that one daytime, if you don't mind early LON departures ....
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I flew LON MIA CUN and swore never to connect through a US hub again. Absolute nightmare. Our American chums don't employ the concept of airside transfers so you have to go through the whole awful mess of entering their country: which is fine if you want to be in the US, but not so fine if you are simply en route for another place.

Go BA - or a nice (and usually cheaper) way is TP/RG via LIS and start an M&M account . You can even do that one daytime, if you don't mind early LON departures ....
I agree. However, MIA was only an alternative to JFK .. and no stop at GRU.
BA is the way to go ... or if someone wants to safe some money via Paris (TAM), LIS or MAD.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:54 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
BA to GIG

I would go with BA. Better service, shorter flight.

No doubt: fly with BA. very reliable, much quicker and excellent service. You are always on the save side with BA. Note that BA only flies to GIG 3 x week.

Another option if you want OW miles is with IB via MAD. IB flies 5 x week MAD-GIG (daily as of November/05), but service is normally below average (certainly well below BA).

Rgs,
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Hmmm what could have prompted this thread? Sorry to have wasted your time but I doubt the OP has a desire to visit Rio in August. Could it possibly be a childish response to this thread where a few hours previously I debunked some of his claims on BA WT+ and mentioned flying LHR-GIG.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436922
I’m not sure it’s entirely an appropriate thread for this forum but as a frequent traveller on this route allow me to fill in the gaps on the OP’s somewhat incomplete analysis to add to the info the other posters have helpfully added.

If it’s a straight choice between AA and BA as the title suggests.
Why restrict your analysis to Mon-Weds in Aug. Surely it’s more useful look at fares for the remainder of the year when people are more likely to be travelling to Brasil rather than in the Southern Hemisphere’s winter.

Sept-Mid Dec and Apr-Jun. BA £683, AA£705
Mid-Dec-Mar : BA£730, AA £750

On the face of it BA appears cheaper by about £20. Of course savvy AA travellers know that you can pay less than this. In the case of Rio the cheapest fare class on AA is an S class fare. Buying up to a V class fare allows you to apply a 10% discount code valid for all 2005 departures ex-UK and knock £60-70 of the fare. Net reduction is typically £30-40. This makes AA cheaper but for most FFs £20 either way is IMO unlikely to prove to be the decisive factor.

BTW, I wonder why the OP picked the first AA flight of the day to illustrate the connection time? It wouldn’t be to make the travel time on AA appear longer than it needs to be? Why not use the more logical 4-35pm or 6-30pm departures from LHR. Per the OW timetable LHR-GIG takes 14hrs on BA versus 21hrs on AA. Hardly double as you claim unless the pax is intent on earning add’l miles in which case time is unlikely to be of the essence. Another important consideration that’s been mentioned is that you can only fly LHR-GIG 3 days a week on BA metal whereas flights on AA metal are daily as indeed are most other carriers.

A couple of personal considerations as to why I go AA rather than BA.
-Even allowing for the longer flight time I take AA as for me 31” of legroom is too tight for anything other than the shortest of flights. Pre-selecting exit rows means I know I’ve a seat with lots of legroom waiting for me rather than the risking the lottery of OLCI. Even in the unlikely scenario of having to make do with a regular economy seat I know I’ll still have 2-4 extra inches of legroom over BA.
-Usually I pay GBP500-520 for my LHR-GIG trips on AA. Yes it’s a published fare.
-Given I have VIPs at my disposal the journey is almost always in J.
-I usually return through MIA as more chance of a bump. Longer trip but the fare allows me a full day in MIA to do some shopping and meet my friend for lunch. If going for the shorter return journey the AA schedule suits me better. I’d rather have a fullish day in GIG prior to leaving than a full day in London on my return.
-I’m a hound and a mileage hound.

For others the choice on LHR-GIG is as follows.
Y
If you are a mileage hound and let’s face it many of us on FT are, choose AA (or UA if you are a *A flier although the choice is not quite as clear cut due to more generous mileage earning on European *A partners and Varig than BA or IB) The 40,000+ AA miles earned on a trip to GIG gets you a free trip to the Caribbean from Europe.
If you simply want a direct flight albeit with tight seating and aren’t bothered about miles choose Air France rather than BA. LHR-GIG can be had for as little as £460 on AF. For *A fliers Lufthansa and TAP also have one stop flights from LHR-GIG at lower fares (£500-560) than BA.

Y+
FWIW WT+ fares LHR-GIG are typically £1100. Not for me, I’d rather sit in 31B on a AA 777 and spend some of my £450-600 saving on a few drinks in Y and a lot of drinks in Rio.

J
As posted above TAM have some very good deals ex-Lon as have LH and TP, all in the US$3k range. Better value IMO than WT+ on BA unless you need the tier points. For OW travellers IB have some similar fares. Whilst BA should offer superior service in J than these, possibly TAM excepted, I haven’t yet seen any cheap fares ex-LHR to Brasil.

Finally, IMO FT should be a valuable resource for frequent fliers primarily interested in the earning of miles and the exchange of information. It would be a shame if some were intent on abusing this resource by frequently posting what is misleading or at best incomplete info, or indeed by posting spurious questions. At the very least it’ll prompt other FTers to question the credibility of their future posts.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Hmmm what could have prompted this thread? Sorry to have wasted your time but I doubt the OP has a desire to visit Rio in August. Could it possibly be a childish response to this thread where a few hours previously .....
Finally, IMO FT should be a valuable resource for frequent fliers primarily interested in the earning of miles and the exchange of information. It would be a shame if some were intent on abusing this resource by frequently posting what is misleading or at best incomplete info, or indeed by posting spurious questions. At the very least it’ll prompt other FTers to question the credibility of their future posts.
Thanks for posting this. However, there is no reason to bash apudme....

Back to the topic: If and when the prices are almost the same, I would prefer BA...it would safe me some hours...and I personally had good experience with BA. AA is O.K., but the service with BA, LH is a little better, especially in business class. BTW, by far the best service, food I ever had on business class to GRU was on CO...the plane went further to Rio..
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to the OP: are you kidding?

"Security" queues and hassles alone should be reason enough to keep you away from travelling via the US, a country that doesn't offer sterile transfer facilities.
AF offers a $2549+ fare in Z (inflex business) and good connections from lots of British airports. At this price, I'd bite their hand off!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
"Security" queues and hassles alone should be reason enough to keep you away from travelling via the US

Indeed, and do you have a machine readable passport?

Anyway, AF Z fare is really attractive. I know TAM is also promoting Z class with about the same fare, but you have to change airplanes twice in CDG and GRU - but you coul experience Latin America's best airline

Rgs,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.