Wiki Posts
Search

changing airports in Sao Paulo and Rio

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
changing airports in Sao Paulo and Rio

I got one crazy award ticket with airport changes in the routing.

GRU - CGH - 3 hrs in Sao Paulo

SDU - GIG - 7 hrs in Rio

How convenient is it to change the airports? I would really appreciate if anyone can share or direct some info. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:56 am

In both cities the two airports are far away. It can take (much) more than an hour in Sao Paulo...I did it in less than an hour on a Sunday. There is a bus in Sao Paulo.. don't know about Rio.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:46 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I got one crazy award ticket with airport changes in the routing.

GRU - CGH - 3 hrs in Sao Paulo

SDU - GIG - 7 hrs in Rio

If you contact the airline (RG?) I'm sure you wont have a problem to change the routing so that you fly GRU-GIG without change of airports. You have to check whether the flight is convenient.

GRU-CGH: read the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385677

There is a bus running between both airports, it takes maximum 1h. VARIG, TAM run buses every hour for free (you need to have a ticket/boarding pass).

SDU-GIG:

There are buses running every 30min, it will take you 1h maximum. I taxi ride would cost you 60 Reais, about USD25. Beware that buses go to many directions, so be sure you get on the right bus!

Rgs,

Last edited by hardiwv; Feb 10, 2005 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ilovetofly
SDU - GIG - 7 hrs in Rio

How convenient is it to change the airports? I would really appreciate if anyone can share or direct some info. Thanks!
On this change you're going domestic to int'l so SDU is a very quick airport to transit. SDU to GIG will take 25-30 mins unless you hit evening rush hour traffic. GIG to Copacabana should be no more than R$35 in a yellow cab so SDU-GIG should only be R$25-30.

7 hours in GIG is way too long. Me, I'd head to a love motel (classier than most regular hotels) to save hauling my bags. Even a fairly basic suite will have shower, jacuzzi and and cable TV. Freshen up and have a sleep or just dump your bags and do some sightseeing e.g. Bambina in Botofogo is one of the best in Rio. A suite here for 6 hours is R$80-100. There are many other cheaper options and locations. If you go this route I can give advice on location and price.

Allow 45-75 mins to get back to GIG depending on time of day.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Just got back from 9 days in Rio-- including 6 trips between SDU and GIG.

Real has direct service between the airport--- *official* word from multiple drivers and ticket reps is there are 2 distinct routes, one passing via downtown and the other nonstop. Each leaves every 20-30 minutes, so in theory, one bus abuot every 10-15 min. This service costs R$2.50 and is operated by a minibus.

Direct service _from_ GIG into town- continuing to Copacabana and Ipanema- stops at SDU on the way from GIG, but I never saw a bus stop at SDU on the way out to GIG. This service is R$5, regardless of where you get off (meaning GIG-->SDU on the Copa bus is R$5 while the same trip on the SDU only bus is R$2.50.

Real has a nice small waiting room between the Immigration exit and the restrooms on the right-- just inside the terminal from where the buses stop. Service is so frequent that most people don't even stop in their nice waiting room, but just go to the waiting buses on the curb.į

Not sure if SDU has luggage storage, but GIG did for R$5/day for a locker, and R$6-R$8 for large bag storage, with cost depending on the size of the bag. Above prices are per calendar day, and the GIG luggage office was open something like 6am to 10pm. Didn't look to see if SDU has storage, but Iīd imagine they do.

Re. travel time, I did SDU-->GIG on a Wed. 6pm in the rain, and the trip took 75 min--- this was in sompletely stopped traffic, so I'd call that an absolute max travel tmie. Typically it's about 20 min. on the nonstop, and 30 min. on the via downtown bus.

If you do have a few hours to kill, the Cinelandia Metro stop is in reasonable walking distance of CGH- about 8 blocks- and you can reach Copacabana (Siqueira Campos stop, the last stop on the line) by Metro in 15 min. The Metro is R$2 one way, and a round trip (duplo) ticket offers no cash savings. I always requested an Ipanema Metro ticket from the counter- also R$2- but gives you the option of a free bus transfer at Siqueira Campos onto the Metrobus on to Ipanema. Metrobuses only depart from the Siqueira Campos station, and run about every 10 min. Mon-Sat during Metro operating hours. There are 2 Metrobus options- the 'Ipanema' bus which stops 2 times before reaching Praca General Osorio (barely at the start of Ipanema) or the 'Gavea' route which is nonstop to Praca General Osorio, then makes stops from there farther along Ipanema. Note that the Metro/Siqueira Campos and the 'Ipanema' and 'Gavea' Metrobus stops are all about 3-5 blocks from the beach, as the Metro and bus bus routes run parallel to the beach, but a little inland. Returning to the Metro, pick up the 'Gavea' or 'Ipanema' at _very_ select, specially designated stops (shown on Metrobus stop signs by the address of the building in front of the sign, i.e. listed as '125 Siqueira Campos Ave.') Metrobus serivice mimics the future stops of the Metro, so as such, the bus stops are spaced about 1km apart, but the result is a very fast busride while other buses stop more often. On return to the Metro, pay a R$2 fare when boarding the Metrobus and you will get a ticket to access the Metro. Note that the Metro->to->Ipanema tickets are different from the Ipanema->to->Metro tickets, so don't buy 2 Ipanema-to-Metro tickets thinking you can use one to return. You can't.

If you don't want to go to the beach, you can visit some of the museums and historical buildings in downtown Rio. Flamengo beach is easily accessible (on the Metro from Cinelandia, get off at 'Flamengo' or 'Lgo. de Machado' stops and walk about 3 blocks. If you want to reach Corcovado on the cheap, take the Metro to Lgo. de Machado, then the Cosme Velho Metrobus (buy a special combo Metro+bus ticket when you enter the Metro, and ride the Cosme Velho bus to the station for the train to Corcovado. Not sure of the train fares and schedules as Iīve only gone up to Corcovado by taxi for R$60 negotiated rates. If you choose not to do SDU--metro--bus to the Corcovado train, a metered taxi from the airport area directly to the Trem do Corcovado should be in the neighborhood of R$20-- keep in mind this is a ballpark of street taxi rates, and I donīt know how the SDU airport taxis are priced.

The LAPA neighborhood is less than 2km from CGH and has bars and restaurants that are lively at night--- not sure what goes on during the day. If you want something completely different go from CGH to the ferry terminal (maybe 1km from the airport) and ride a boat to the island of Paqueta. You'll go under the Niteroi bridge and reach the island in 20 min, if by hovercraft, or 1 hour if by slower ferry. The island has horse carriages, paddle boat rides, gift shops, and restaurants, and provides a quich getaway from city life. It's been a year since I rode the ferry, but I'd guesstimate a hovercraft ticket is maybe R$20 one way while the slower ferry is maybe R$10.

Sugarloaf is between the airport and downtown, and a direct bus from downtown (Route 106?) takes you right there. Tickets to go to the very top are R$30 per person.

Maracana stadium is also reasonably close to downtown, and from Cinelandia Metro, travel north to the transfer station (there's only 1) then transfer to the other line and go 2 stops to the Maracana station. Games are Wednesdays and Sundays, and tickets for the matches are as low as R$15ish.

If you really do want a hotel, I can tell you about 2 places near Lgo. de Machado that go for R$30 and R$35/night, but IMHO, I wouldn't get a hotel just to kill a handful of hours.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:54 pm

If you are a Diners Club cardholder, they have a free transfer service between the airports in Sao Paulo and Rio and to downtown. Go to www.dinersclub.br and click on DinersVan
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:40 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
The correct webpage is:

http://www.dinersclub.com.br/diners/...vanservice.jsp

(van service)

or simply

http://www.dinersclub.com.br

Viajero Joven: Tks for all the tips on Rio de Janeiro!

rgs,
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Just some general observations on the CGH-GRU transfer as I did it just this weekend.

The paid "Airport Bus Service" runs every 30 minutes or so, and costs R$24. Tickets must be purchased from the counter in the terminal, which is at the GOL end of the airport. (There may be another one counter, but I don't think so.) Our ride only took 30 minutes, but that was on a Sunday evening. Credit cards are accepted.

http://www.airportbusservice.com.br/

The fixed prices for the cab services are in the high R$80s (the comun is a few reais less than the radio cab, and seemed a little less "comun" than your average SP cab) -- I don't know what it runs on a meter.

We had two or three hours to kill in the early evening on Sunday. It was too late to hit anything cultural, and we had already eaten, so we just grabbed a cab to Shopping Morumbi -- R$26ish if pre-purchased on the way there (CC accepted at the taxi counter), R$20 (on the meter) from the taxi stand outside C&A on the way back. I'm sure there are more exciting things to do that go to the mall, but if you're looking for a quickie excursion that's only 10-15 min from CGH, it's not a bad alternative.

Last edited by snorkmaster; Mar 8, 2005 at 11:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.