Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

hotel and side trips from rio

Old Nov 9, 04, 10:25 am
Original Poster

going to rio for five nights. currently booked at the sheraton rio towers. any advice on the hotel? any recommendations of other hotels instead? maybe cheaper, but better?

what about some side trips. not sure if we can make it to iguasu.

any info would be great.
Old Nov 9, 04, 1:18 pm

Iguassu is great. You have to go by plane. I went 2 nights and visited both (Argentina and Brazil).

We also made a day trip from Rio to Petropolis; kings-town in the cool mountains.
Old Nov 9, 04, 5:55 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
if this is your first time in Rio, I'd skip Iguaçu, even though it is a great place to go. Plenty to do around here if that's your first time and your trip is too short to do both.

Sheraton is a good hotel, although not close (i.e., not within walking distance) from both the famous (Ipanema, Copacabana) and the best (Prainha, Grumari) beaches in Rio. There's probably a hotel bus, but you'll have to see this with them. Taxis are probably better options anyway.

Good trips nearby would include Petropolis (mountains, about 1 hour driving), Angra dos Reis and Buzios (beaches, two hours driving each). Depending on when you're coming, these could be great places to spend one night.

hope you have a great time here.

FR
Old Nov 10, 04, 9:53 am
Original Poster

thanks. ill be arriving the morning of dec 2nd and departing the evening of the 7th. so five nights total.

anyone heard anything about the hotel intercontinental? i was thinking on changing my res to that. id rather be somewhere close to baech and shopping and restaurants.
Old Nov 10, 04, 5:53 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Hotel Intercontinental, although a nice hotel, is far from the beaches as well. There is a beach right in front of it (São Conrado) but it is polluted and you better not swim there. There is a mall nearby where you can go eat, but unless you want to go to this same mall every night you will need to get taxis for other places, and traffic jams are quite common in that neighbourhood (i.e., you might be taking 30 to 45 minutes to get to Ipanema or Copacabana depending on which time you leave).

If you want nice hotels near beaches and restaurants you might consider Ceasar Park in Ipanema or Marriot or Sofitel in Copacabana. Plenty of good restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi ride, and you will be across the street from the beach.

FR
Old Nov 13, 04, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyingRabbit
Hotel Intercontinental, although a nice hotel, is far from the beaches as well. There is a beach right in front of it (São Conrado) but it is polluted and you better not swim there. There is a mall nearby where you can go eat, but unless you want to go to this same mall every night you will need to get taxis for other places, and traffic jams are quite common in that neighbourhood (i.e., you might be taking 30 to 45 minutes to get to Ipanema or Copacabana depending on which time you leave).

If you want nice hotels near beaches and restaurants you might consider Ceasar Park in Ipanema or Marriot or Sofitel in Copacabana. Plenty of good restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi ride, and you will be across the street from the beach.

FR

I agree w/ FR on this. See here for some other recommendations: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...38#post3389438

You're also coming during the samba school rehearsals. These are events where the groups that give the samba parades during carnaval practice that year's samba. The two most popular are Mangueira (Friday nights) and Salgueiro (Saturday nights). These run from about 11PM to 4AM, and both are about a US$10 taxi ride from most hotels. Your hotel concierge can give you details.

Search this Thread