Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yellow fever vaccine recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Yellow fever vaccine recommendation

I have some family members going to Brazil in December for a cruise (Rio, Buzios, Ilha Grande, down eventually to Buenos Aires).

I can’t recall whether I got the yellow fever vaccine when I visited Brazil and I went to the Amazon in addition to the region above.

Is it advisable to get one? Please no political stuff just asking on behalf of my family.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by brightonbeachspotter
I have some family members going to Brazil in December for a cruise (Rio, Buzios, Ilha Grande, down eventually to Buenos Aires).

I can’t recall whether I got the yellow fever vaccine when I visited Brazil and I went to the Amazon in addition to the region above.

Is it advisable to get one? Please no political stuff just asking on behalf of my family.

Thanks.
In 2017 CDC changed its suggestions regarding YF vaccinations and Brazil to include basically the whle country because of outbreaks in Rio and São Paulo (search this page for "2017"). YF is transmitted where there is a large human population (ex: cities) so IMHO it is advisable to get the vaccination, but Brasil does not require YF vaccinations. FWIW, YF vaccinations are now good for life whereas a while back a booster was required after 10 years.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:46 am
Community Director Emerita

It can be tough to find the vaccine. At least 3 or 4 years ago it was in short supply. Have your family members search now for the vaccine. Then have them use a World Health card to have it recorded and keep that record. I've got a ratty old card that I've used for decades. I'm glad that I've got the yellow fever vaccine recorded as it is now one and done.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It can be tough to find the vaccine. At least 3 or 4 years ago it was in short supply. Have your family members search now for the vaccine. Then have them use a World Health card to have it recorded and keep that record. I've got a ratty old card that I've used for decades. I'm glad that I've got the yellow fever vaccine recorded as it is now one and done.
I don't know the availability outside the Chicago area, but there is a travel medicine business (Passport Health) that has on demand access to the YF vaccine. They have fast service on this stuff but are a bit pricey. So you may want to shop around. I believe it is available at many large medical school related hospitals (like the University of Illinois Hospital)..
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback and recommendations!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: LATAMPass
Hello

Recent experience here. I went to Brazil last weekend, to attend the Formula 1 race, in Sao Paulo. Nobody asked me for the vaccine, but I took the shot before travel. I also went in 2017 but it wasn't recommended for Sao Paulo area at the time. Now is recommended for all the Brazilian territory (I think it changed in 2018).
I was a little bit afraid because i have a colleague who travel to Colombia and she vaccinated and had a strong reaction to the vaccine, feeling so sick that she had to visit the ER in the middle of the night. But other colleagues had also vaccinated to travel other parts of Brazil; my brother and his wife also vaccinated, and nothing happened to them, and nothing happened to me as well. So maybe she was the unlucky 1/10000 person who can get some adverse reactions.

My recommendation; take the vaccine. Your relatives will feel more safe and confident about the situation, the vaccine will last forever, and won't be afraid of mosquitoes (there are A LOT of mosquitoes there). You have to take it at least 10 days before traveling to get the protection.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by yulianman
won't be afraid of mosquitoes
Spreading diseases like malaria, dengue, West Nile, yellow fever, Zika, chikungunya, and lymphatic filariasis, the mosquito kills more people than any other creature in the world.”

Fighting the World’s Deadliest Animal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.