Search

Brazil for two weeks . Based in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Brazil for two weeks . Based in Rio

I’m thinking of booking a family trip to Brazil for two weeks this summer. Found satisfactory round trip J fares to GIG for the four of us (2adults, 2 kids 14 and 7). I’m Completely overwhelmed with potential itineraries.

we’ll want to do a day or two the usual rio touristy stuff, plus a day to chill when we arrive. I think Salvador would be a great base for a few days. We also want to go to Iguazu. Keep in mind we want to try lots of real BRazilian food. Feijoada, I’m loooking in your direction. 😋

any other ideas for a good base of operations for a few days? I think we need to stick to say 4 bases, or maybe even that is too ambisitious and we should stick to three.

id like to go to Manaus but that’s a lot of travel time and the recommended malaria prophylaxis makes it unlikely. Any other good way to see jungle?

No worries, our kids are well traveled and adventurous. I’m just completely gobsmacked at the sheer permutations on this one. 😁

imappreciate advice on this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sao Paulo might be an obvious answer. It has some history, museums, parks, and lots of cool wall murals.

If you're taking a domestic flight, try to use the domestic airports rather than GIG and GRU, which are so much farther from their respective cities.

Do you plan to cross to the Argentina side of the Falls?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sao Paulo might be an obvious answer. It has some history, museums, parks, and lots of cool wall murals.

If you're taking a domestic flight, try to use the domestic airports rather than GIG and GRU, which are so much farther from their respective cities.

Do you plan to cross to the Argentina side of the Falls?
id love to cross to the Argentina side, but I’m not sure we can enter Argentina due to Covid? Of course things may change on that between now and then too.

we would definitely plan domestic flights to get to Salvador and Iguazu.

I had basically written off Sao Paulo, perhaps due to bad info. Is it worth a few days?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Wasn't impressed by Sao Paulo... It's worth it if you're after mega-cities, otherwise, it's pretty ugly, and not an enjoyable place to walk... Sure there are interesting museums and good restaurants, but that's almost it.

I personally would skip Sao Paulo and spend more days elsewhere. You will never regret spending more days in Rio de Janeiro. Salvador may be a better choice than Sao Paulo for a tourist.

If you are heading to SP anyways, check the latest COVID restrictions because they may close museums and restrict indoor dining (which is more unlikely to happen in other cities if I understand the current situation correctly).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Even I am planning a summer trip to Brazil with family thanks to decent mileage redemption in J for my family of four. I have been traveling to Brazil consistently for many years and I agree the amount of stuff to see is unbelievable. So, I have decided to start my family off slow.

As of now, we have planned to visit the Pantanal for the wildlife, Rio because it is Rio, Iguazo Falls and some time in São Paulo as a break between traveling.

I also wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time in São Paulo as it is a very boring city. I will probably spend the last two days in São Paulo just to get tested for our return flights back and to see the few sights that I find interesting and of course, the food.
IstKong likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
id like to go to Manaus but that’s a lot of travel time and the recommended malaria prophylaxis makes it unlikely. Any other good way to see jungle?
Have you checked the recent news concerning Manaus? Getting hit very hard a second time with a variant of Covid-19. Who knows the time line for them to get thru it let alone whether the economy will see any recovery sufficient to make a tourism trip possible or enjoyable. Officials in Brazil are concerned that the variant could spread to other areas in Brazil. What ever you decide, safe travels to you.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Have you checked the recent news concerning Manaus? Getting hit very hard a second time with a variant of Covid-19. Who knows the time line for them to get thru it let alone whether the economy will see any recovery sufficient to make a tourism trip possible or enjoyable. Officials in Brazil are concerned that the variant could spread to other areas in Brazil. What ever you decide, safe travels to you.
I had missed that, but yes Manaus is definitely out.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:20 am

2 weeks isn't a lot of time.

But being based in Rio, I would suggest a couple of days there. (Pão de Açucar, O Redentor, The Escada, the Biblioteca). Perhaps a day trip inland to Teresópolis or Petrópolis. South to Angra or north to Buzios.

Salvador is fascinating. The Pelourinho is the old city and is beautiful. Easy Uber to the beach if you are so inclined. The foods there would be moqueca (fish stew), acarajé , or vatapa. Think about a night inland there too. Chapada Diamantina is a national park and absolutely stunning.

Foz do Iguaçu. I wouldn't go to the Argentine side. The Brazilian side is far more stunning. The Foz and the Bird Park (across the street) can be done in a day. Though you might want to get time to do one of the evening meal/shows of the Guarani indians.

São Paulo is my favorite city. Yes. It is a megalopolis. Its metropolitan area is roughly 20 million people. Is it like any other bug city? Yes. But bigger. For example, NYC has roughly 8000 "skyscrapers". São Paulo has 30,000. It has great museums, food, music (especially jazz), and just fun. If you can be there on a Sunday, Avenida Paulista becomes one huge pedestrian fair (Same in Rio for the beach avenues. They close on Sundays too).

Hope this helps.

PS Domestic airfare is cheap and easy!
liw5215 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I would personally advise to spend one week in Rio (so much to see or just chill on the beach), then fly down to Florianpolis, the magic island, for 4 nights, followed by 3 nights in Iguazu.
Forget about Salvador. It's overrated. The old town is a tourist trap. The rest of the city is dominated by favelas (=unsafe). Rio has a reputation of being unsafe, but Salvador is much more dangerous. In Rio you should stick to the South Zone, use Uber to get around and you will be fine. I have visited Rio for 2 weeks this month and I found it to be the safest ever.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:24 pm

I apologise with the OP for (ab)using his/her thread for asking what's the general situation in Brasil.
I had in mind to spend a week there but if everything is closed it's obviously not worth it. I've just been in Brasil in the past (Rio, Minas and Iguazu) and was looking for Bahia (also Maranhao for Lencois but don't if it's the right period now), Santa Catarina or Rio Grande do Sul. Even also other areas advices are accepted but in any case, given the short stay, I would focalise on only one place and with "easy" connections.
I don't want to be stuck in a city.

Thanks to everybody who'll give an hint
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Sciamano
I apologise with the OP for (ab)using his/her thread for asking what's the general situation in Brasil.
I had in mind to spend a week there but if everything is closed it's obviously not worth it. I've just been in Brasil in the past (Rio, Minas and Iguazu) and was looking for Bahia (also Maranhao for Lencois but don't if it's the right period now), Santa Catarina or Rio Grande do Sul. Even also other areas advices are accepted but in any case, given the short stay, I would focalise on only one place and with "easy" connections.
I don't want to be stuck in a city.

Thanks to everybody who'll give an hint
Don't come, at least for now. Things are chaotic here, several parts of the three states you mention are under or considering lockdown (as pretty much all of Brazil), hospitals are full, a complete mess. I'd stay away from Brazil at least till May.

As for Lencois, best time is between June and September. And I'd avoid July as that's when school is off, although this year I have no idea how it's going to work.
boboqui likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:05 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Too soon to visit Brazil this mid-year ... Impossible to plan as no one knows what will be happening here ... Better to leave it to the future, at least one year from now
FlyingRabbit likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:11 am

Absolute madness to be visiting Brazil anytime soon. Coronavirus is out of control. There's this P1 variant that is highly transmissible and it affects young people as much as old people. The health system is completely overwhelmed. If anything happens to you, even if not COVID related, you may not be able to get any treatment.

I am Brazilian myself, living in Europe, and although I had plans to go visit my family around Christmas 2021 I am very skeptical that it will be safe by then, even if I'm vaccinated.

Just forget about this trip. It's not worth it. Maybe 2022. Maybe.
FlyingRabbit likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:43 pm

If and when you do go, I'd highly recommend visiting Florianopolis as well. It's a lovely, relaxing beach destination that would make for great family fun. I also am one of those who recommends Sao Paulo. I had the best feijoada and brigadeiros (try Maria Brigadeiro) there, and while it's huge and jam-packed with people and cars, there are some very nice neighborhoods for walking, outdoor dining, shopping, etc. Be safe and enjoy!
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:27 am

Chapada dos Veadeiros near Brazilia is pretty amazing!
Chapada de Diamantina near Salvador is amazing as well.

If you are into nature and hiking, i highly recommend those destinations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.