Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Burnig

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Amazon Burnig

I plan to fly to Sao Paul in late September, but it looks smoke is coming from Amazon and it's dark even during the day...
I am not sure if it's safe to travel over there now due to bad air quality.
Do any FlyerTalkers who live in Sao Paulo want to share current situations with us?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:37 am

To the best of my understanding:
The smoke in Sao Paulo was from the Pantanal (much closer than the Amazon).
It hit a cold front and darkened the sky for a couple of hours.in the city of Sao Paulo on last Monday, and ended as conditions changed.
This seems a clear explanation from a poster (Rokatoo) who has always posted good/accurate info.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Sao_Paulo.html

In the Amazon, the subsistence farmers burn every year to farm and have been doing so for decades.
Other interests also burn for increased land for cattle.
President Bolsonaro apparently supports an increase in land available for cattle, to better the economy (and perhaps his bribes/political contributions fro rich buddies). Apparently the burning has increased this year because of his support and because of dry conditions.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin...udvj_M_aLNCb70
Some think the amount of burned off jungle is rapidly reaching a tipping point.
IMO it is a national and international tragedy, but it is very far to the north.
MrJBoy and wuzziduzziman like this.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Aug 24, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Agreed. We should be (and many of us are) concerned by what's happening in the Amazon, but as far as your trip to São Paulo goes I wouldn't be concerned about it for this specific reason.
MrJBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.